Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

Which would people take?

Wirtz + Musiala 

Or

Bellingham + Foden

As impressive as they were for Germany Friday there's literally only one thing stopping the English pair doing the same 

And the actual answer from those players is Bellingham + Wirtz which will be mental for Madrid especially if city then go and get musiala + foden

• Like 1

TV Games 

Slovenia v Denmark ITV

Serbia v England BBC

Slovenia v Serbia ITV

Denmark v England BBC

England v Slovenia 8pm ITV

Denmark v Serbia 8pm ITV

This might be a struggle fitst 20 mins but soon as we break em down should go on win it but don’t under estimate this lot 

Edited by andykeenan

A journo in the presser asked Southgate if he spoken to Savo bout the game I’m sure if his thers they’ll catch up 

Edited by andykeenan

50 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Which would people take?

Wirtz + Musiala 

Or

Bellingham + Foden

As impressive as they were for Germany Friday there's literally only one thing stopping the English pair doing the same 

And the actual answer from those players is Bellingham + Wirtz which will be mental for Madrid especially if city then go and get musiala + foden

Musiala is exactly the type of midfielder England simply don't produce. Interesting he grew up in the English system and only left Chelsea at 16.

That ability to pick the ball up from deep and dribble out of tight spaces. I reckon if he was still playing here he'd be in the front 3 just like Foden is so that sort of narrow focus really holds English football back at the highest level regarding central midfielders and what they should or shouldn't do if they're not physically imposing.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Has been 16 goals in 4 games so far. Enter Gareth Southgate to Euro 2024 

England will concede a fair few goals in this tournament. Far weaker backline than we've seen in the other tournaments under him. Stones picks up another knock and it's a completely untested CB combination.

England's only hope of winning is Bellingham and Foden turn it on like they do for their clubs but I'm unconvinced they'll do that.

Think people are sleeping on Serbia a bit aswell. They're the sort of NT in which their performances depend on which side of the bed they get out of but Tadic, SMS, Kostic, Mitro and Vlahovic will cause plenty of issues, would be surprised if Serbia don't score.

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Very rarely and not that effectively. 

its an utterly daft idea, akin to playing Beckham as the ‘quarterback’.. 

also what message does that send out to the established CMs in the squad?

thanks for coming but you’re not as good as a right back in your position!?!? 

I’m no fan of Southgate, but getting TAA into midfield does work and should be used. 
There is a lack of dearth in midfield, so makes sense to utilise one of your better passers there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Very rarely and not that effectively. 

its an utterly daft idea, akin to playing Beckham as the ‘quarterback’.. 

also what message does that send out to the established CMs in the squad?

thanks for coming but you’re not as good as a right back in your position!?!? 

We will hsve to agree to disagree on that. Walker is our best right back by a mile. TAA is weak defensively but has the best range of passing in the squad maybe the tournament and in thse type of games where the other side are going to just sit deep, you need someone who can see ping a pass.

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I can't remember the last time I felt less enthused about watching my country in a Tournament. 

And it's down to one person. 

I can, euro 2016 when it was Roy, said before Southgate is putting us down exactly where he picked us up from, he's gone full circle

The only difference is he's done it with better players and luckier draws meaning he's blagged a bit of "success"

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We will hsve to agree to disagree on that. Walker is our best right back by a mile. TAA is weak defensively but has the best range of passing in the squad maybe the tournament and in thse type of games where the other side are going to just sit deep, you need someone who can see ping a pass.

Walker is our best RB if we pushed the LB right up the pitch and then had the RB drift to make 3 CBs, emery esque

As it is we don't have a good LB so that's wasted, we could / should therefore play a left footed CB/LB and push TAA at RB up the pitch but we don't have a left footed CB capable of doing that either 

As it is walker is the best option 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m no fan of Southgate, but getting TAA into midfield does work and should be used. 
There is a lack of dearth in midfield, so makes sense to utilise one of your better passers there.

Yep me too, the problem is there isn't an established CM who easily just slots in there, it's going to be TAA or mainoo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Walker is our best RB if we pushed the LB right up the pitch and then had the RB drift to make 3 CBs, emery esque

As it is we don't have a good LB so that's wasted, we could / should therefore play a left footed CB/LB and push TAA at RB up the pitch but we don't have a left footed CB capable of doing that either 

As it is walker is the best option 

I think Trippier is terrible and not the player he was and shouid be nowhere near left back for England 

Just now, PaulC said:

I think Trippier is terrible and not the player he was and shouid be nowhere near left back for England 

Yeah I'd agree

Which is why I think what we should do is play TAA at RB and then someone like Colwill or Mings at LB and move to a 3

Problem being Mings is injured and I'm not sure what actually happened to Colwill last year, we don't have a left footed CB and definitely not one who could just as easily play LB

We have 2 on the right hand side 0 on the left 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

TAA's best passes though are from his own half floating balls over the top for Salah and Nunez to run onto.

Surely if it was that easy the middle trio for England should be Rice-Foden-Bellingham?

Playing in central midfield you have to receive with your back to goal while being pressed, I'm unconvinced TAA has the skillset for that otherwise why has Klopp never played him much in CM even when Liverpool were having problems in that area in 22/23?