Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah that's an overexaggeration of his limitations but when was the last time he put in a quality performance for England?

When was the last time anyone did?

It’s easy to say he “can only play in Pep’s system” when he’s only ever played for Pep.

I bet every club manager would love to have him. He’s a phenomenal talent. Southgate being unable to get that out of him doesn’t limit that. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

When was his last stand out performance for England?

Could say the same for a lot of players, it comes from the manager 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Could say the same for a lot of players, it comes from the manager 

Saka and Bellingham have done a lot more than Foden for England IMO.

I agree however that Southgate gets the best out of no-one. Hence why Grealish just had to go, he can turn it on on his own.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

When did England last play well? Probably then.

30 minutes ago, villaglint said:

So hoping Southgate is still in with a shout for the Utd job. 

It would genuinely be hilarious him managing them. And it does feel there's a chance it could happen.

• Like 1

Super result for Serbia,  3-0 winners away to Sweden. Denmark won as well, gonna be hard to get points of these games with no one creating chances, just opportunities to shoot.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah that's an overexaggeration of his limitations but when was the last time he put in a quality performance for England?

As already responded to, when was anyone's last stand our performance under Southgate? I'm not sure I can recall a single one. 

Kane still scores but even he hasn't exactly played well for Southgate, and what he's allowed to do is a detriment to the rest of the squad. Saka and Bellingham have had moments where they've reflected their club form, but generally also look largely lost for most of the game.

These players are all very very good footballers. They have a clown telling them what to do though.

Edited by MrBlack

26 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

As already responded to, when was anyone's last stand our performance under Southgate? I'm not sure I can recall a single one. 

Kane still scores but even he hasn't exactly played well for Southgate, and what he's allowed to do is a detriment to the rest of the squad. Saka and Bellingham have had moments where they've reflected their club form, but generally also look largely lost for most of the game.

These players are all very very good footballers. They have a clown telling them what to do though.

Fair point, Foden just seems to do even less than most (for England) IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Fair point, Foden just seems to do even less than most (for England) IMO.

You may be right. If I'm looking at the other side of the coin, he does seem to do exceedingly little for England.  But I guess I'm erring on the side of the evidence that points to Southgate being the cause,  rather than Foden.

Maybe Foden needs more instruction than Saka/Bellingham who rely a bit more on instinctive flair, and Grealish who clearly has a phenomenal instinct and almost polar opposite aversion to being told what to do.

Clearly though, not having a working plan as a manager isn't going to win you anything, regardless of how good the players are.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

You may be right. If I'm looking at the other side of the coin, he does seem to do exceedingly little for England.  But I guess I'm erring on the side of the evidence that points to Southgate being the cause,  rather than Foden.

Maybe Foden needs more instruction than Saka/Bellingham who rely a bit more on instinctive flair, and Grealish who clearly has a phenomenal instinct and almost polar opposite aversion to being told what to do.

Clearly though, not having a working plan as a manager isn't going to win you anything, regardless of how good the players are.

Oh no, and I doubt there are many more than me that cannot wait to see the back of Southgate. Eight years he's been in charge ffs!

3 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

That gag will be eligible for a free bus pass soon. I definitely remember hearing it before France '98, and I doubt it was new then. 

This is a big tournament for Foden. He's no longer the kid with promise. He's  24 and shouid be coming into his peak years. If Saka is fit Southgate won't drop him so if he doesn't perform In the group stages I can see him being left out 

Edited by PaulC

England fans don't really do the aggro anymore, do they? Which is a good thing of course, but maybe they should pack some knuckledusters with them just in case..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

This is a big tournament for Foden. He's no longer the kid with promise. He's  24 and shouid be coming into his peak years. If Saka is fit Southgate won't drop him so if he doesn't perform In the group stages I can see him being left out 

City should be preparing a bumper deal for Foden...that is if they don't get relegated, LOL

It’s going to be weird if England do win it. Southgate will have earned a lot of praise, probably gets a bumper deal and I don’t think anyone is prepared for that. 

lad in the office was asking about maybe travelling to England's training camp for the day to see what it was all about, its in Weimar at a huge golf resort, the opposite side of the country and a 3 drive away from where the games actually are

not one of the many top class bundesliga training camps in the west of germany, a golf and spa resort in the east

they're back to making me irrationally angry over everything

• Like 1