Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

It’s like a charity game. I wouldn’t take any notice, that’s coming from an Icelander. The England players clearly don’t want to get injured and are playing at a snails pace.

Fun for us though!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Some of the criticism is beyond ridiculous. It’s the last friendly before the tournament, the time for experimentation is over and now you play your best 11 into some form of familiarity with each other. It’s what every international manager will be doing this weekend.

I am not big fan of Southgate but he is getting called all sorts of hyperbolic names for doing perfectly normal, reasonable things. 

Maybe it is always going to be this way if you are the England manager heading into a major tournament, you will be copping pelters from all sides as people’s anxiousness and frustrations will the national team boil over, but it makes for some mad reading on this forum.  

Southgate has had generally positive response from both the media and wider footballing community until the last tournament. Then the rest of the country woke up to what a lot of us had known for a long time. 

Yes, he should be playing his best 11 (or as close to it as he can), but Kane is injured. He should be being looked after. Of the other forwards playing, only Foden will play in the tournament, so its not like Kane even needed to play to get familiar with his forwards.

As to how his first choice 11 is performing and getting familiar with each other, probably the less said on that the better

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s normal to have a really flat game like this before a tournament, same as at club level before a cup final.

Nobody wants to get injured or make a mistake.

Agreed.

Although we’ve picked up an injury and still looked poor. 

• Like 1

It's been very poor hasn't it?

Total lack of spark (but then the atmosphere at Wembley is always terrible for these games) and a transitional Iceland been passing through England's midfield no problem.

Yes things will get better with Bellingham but considering all the others are pretty much first choice (bar Saka coming in for Palmer) it's hasn't been good enough. Attacks just consisted of Gordon running up the line and then over hitting a cross.

No decent opposition is going to think scoring against this England will be an impossible task, I can see the games v Danes and Serbia being very tough with some of the quality they have in the final third.

I guess Konsa is third choice for centre back now which is pretty incredible for him really given some thoughts he wouldn't even make the squad (myself included). 

1 hour ago, MachoFantastico said:

Don't think I've ever been as unexcited for an international tournament as I have for Euro 2024. 

Disagree, think it will be a fantastic tournament in probably one of the best countries to host a tournament (not hard after the last couple) with stadia and fan experience.

I prefer watching Euros to World cups tbh, higher quality games straight from the group stages.

We’re losing in a fairly meaningless friendly before a major tournament starts.

Shall we mix up the formation a bit and work the Plan B, utilising the subs?

Will we ****, lads! Like for like subs please. 

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

I've just seen the score and not in least surprised. Just the thought of watching an England friendly under Southgate makes me tired.

So much so it put me to sleep for 40 mins. I really hope this is his last tournament.