Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

Who'd have thought 18 months on from the Qatar World cup that none of Mount, Rashford, Sterling, Grealish, Maddison, Henderson or Maguire would even make 26 man squad.

O.k Maguire would be starting but for injury but the others are all routinely criticised on this forum with constant demands for Southgate to drop them for England and he's done that.

I actually don't know what to think aside from Southgate is certainly leaving so he's gone all maverick with selections. Spent years going safety first and now suddenly the grim reaper culling guys with 50 + caps.

The defence was always going to be an issue but I really have no idea what he's going to do now. I assumed if Maguire was out than Branthwaite was the most natural fit and he's been cut aswell.

Guehi is only just back from three month lay off and only has 10 caps. Dunk has looked dodgy in all the recent England games so he'll be found out in the knock outs.  England can ill afford an injury to Stones otherwise it will be a very dodgy combination.

That's the thing isn't it? It's a positive Southgate has refreshed the squad but he should've been doing this six months back rather than still starting all of Maguire,Phillips and subbing Henderson on v Italy as that was time to give starts to likes of Eze and Guehi.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who'd have thought 18 months on from the Qatar World cup that none of Mount, Rashford, Sterling, Grealish, Maddison, Henderson or Maguire would even make 26 man squad.

O.k Maguire would be starting but for injury but the others are all routinely criticised on this forum with constant demands for Southgate to drop them for England and he's done that.

I actually don't know what to think aside from Southgate is certainly leaving so he's gone all maverick with selections. Spent years going safety first and now suddenly the grim reaper culling guys with 50 + caps.

The defence was always going to be an issue but I really have no idea what he's going to do now. I assumed if Maguire was out than Branthwaite was the most natural fit and he's been cut aswell.

Guehi is only just back from three month lay off and only has 10 caps. Dunk has looked dodgy in all the recent England games so he'll be found out in the knock outs.  England can ill afford an injury to Stones otherwise it will be a very dodgy combination.

That's the thing isn't it? It's a positive Southgate has refreshed the squad but he should've been doing this six months back rather than still starting all of Maguire,Phillips and subbing Henderson on v Italy as that was time to give starts to likes of Eze and Guehi.

He’s went full swing the other way, should have tried to find a balance between familiar faces and new guys. 

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

At CB tbh. Who exactly are England's CBs against Serbia? Stones (if he's fit . . .), and . . .? Think Konsa is clearly ahead of Dunk, and he was better than Guehi the other night too. 

I think it’ll be stones and Guehi

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

Don't you think Konsa might get in one of your teams. He's looked at home in an England shirt. 

Wtf has Mainoo done apart from look good for half a season in a shit Man U team? Compared to the likes of Konsa and Watkins who have stood out in a Champions League Villa team?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm not sure if he will but I think Konsa should be starting every game with Stones. If we'd had a better RB and Konsa had been able to play CB all season, he'd be considered one of the top few in the PL. Super athletic, good at everything. Doesn't get dribbled past.

I like Guehi as well and I probably expect him to start, but I think Konsa is clearly better.

5 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Wtf has Mainoo done apart from look good for half a season in a shit Man U team? Compared to the likes of Konsa and Watkins who have stood out in a Champions League Villa team?

Are you serious ?!!!

8 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Different positions. Not too many options. But Mainoo is a fantastic player even if he plays for man U. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Mainoo is a serious talent and will be a mainstay for club and country 

What, like Grealish is? 

He may be talented but half a season doesn't make a player. Let's see how he gets on over time shall we before raving about him. 

He has only ever played 25 professional games ffs.

The criticism Ollie has been getting lately, measured against the fawning over this guy and that Wharton lad just seems off to me. 

Not saying they aren't good players, just that neither have proven themselves as much as some of our lads and yet you would think it was the other way round judging by this and many other forums/media outlets etc.

Edited by GlobalVillan

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it’ll be stones and Guehi

That's certainly the most likely other option. But I just feel like it's significant that Konsa played the most minutes in the March qualifiers, is the only one to earn the clean sheet by playing over 60 minutes against Bosnia, did well across 3 positions while Guehi and Dunk looked a bit rusty in one. 

I'm certainly not confident enough to be betting on this guess!

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's certainly the most likely other option. But I just feel like it's significant that Konsa played the most minutes in the March qualifiers, is the only one to earn the clean sheet by playing over 60 minutes against Bosnia, did well across 3 positions while Guehi and Dunk looked a bit rusty in one. 

The defence is terrible not gonna lie, the attack is good though so maybe that'll do.    

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

The defence is terrible not gonna lie, the attack is good though so maybe that'll do.    

I cannot disagree, our defence looks very questionable. I don't see us troubling the very final stages of the tournament with the backline we have, but it's not like there are many obviously better options watching the tournament from their living rooms. 

27 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd like it to be Konsa but I get the impression he's going for his versatility. I think he'll be used as a sub in most games

8 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I hate man utd. And I hate that players just automatically make the England team the moment they pull on a Man Utd shirt.

But Mainoo has been absolutely excellent this season. I'd honestly start him for England. He's exactly what we need to complete the midfield

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If we had a manager who could play to our strengths, rather than making up for a poor defence by playing extra defensive, then I think we could win this.

Unfortunately, as good of a job as he's done, I still think Southgate isn't good enough to actually win a trophy

But I hope I'm wrong

• Like 2

You know what they say

Strikers win games, defences win championships.

Thats exactly how I expect Englands campaign to play out. The very weak defence will cost us against the better sides.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

played central midfield...

the reality is mainoo has been called up because he's a better option than henderson and phillips

wharton and TAA both being called up too shows how desperate we are there

but at the same time in qatar our midfield was our weakness so he had to rip it up and start again, mainoo wont be worse than henderson

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If we had a manager who could play to our strengths, rather than making up for a poor defence by playing extra defensive, then I think we could win this.

Unfortunately, as good of a job as he's done, I still think Southgate isn't good enough to actually win a trophy

But I hope I'm wrong

that is southgate in a nutshell

he's way out of touch with how top modern managers defend 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

played central midfield...

the reality is mainoo has been called up because he's a better option than henderson and phillips

wharton and TAA both being called up too shows how desperate we are there

but at the same time in qatar our midfield was our weakness so he had to rip it up and start again, mainoo wont be worse than henderson

We really are light in midfield these days. To think we used to have Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes and Beckham plus the likes of Ince and McManaman et al.

I know we failed to properly utilise them but still.

Now we are picking players for tournaments who havent even played a full season of proffesional football.

We don't have a top keeper either, or for that matter, much depth at the back, compared to the 90's, 2000's etc.

Attacking wise however, we have an embarrassment of riches.

Shame Southgate won't use them to their full potential.

Edited by GlobalVillan