Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

Somehow Southgate had invented a way to make 2, 3, 4 or even 5 nil victories seem unconvincing.... that's quite an achievement.

I'd love to know what percentage of our goals come in the last 15 minutes once the subs have been made and the opposition are getting tired

England games seem to follow a pattern, not just the friendlies either, a qualifier Vs them would play out exactly the same way 

• Like 1

Palmer should be taking pens over Kane. He bottled it against France. I don’t think Palmer has the capacity to let pressure affect him at all

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Palmer should be taking pens over Kane. He bottled it against France. I don’t think Palmer has the capacity to let pressure affect him at all

That was really nearly saved! He's lucky it basically bobbled over the keeper's hand. Don't get me wrong he's overall good at them but that wasn't the best advert. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Palmer hasn't taken one in a world cup quater final though 

11 minutes ago, Spoony said:

He’s obviously very good at them but nobody has a 100% success rate forever, he’s due a miss and I’d rather that be for Chelsea than England. 

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

image.jpeg.6bb9ea9e62c3b0007fce59c20675c0bb.jpeg

Pretty much fell asleep during that. Did Toney come on? It would be bizarre to me if he makes the squad barely having played any minutes in the last three months.

People go on about his penalty taking but England already have 5-6 pretty secure penalty takers in the squad so I think it's less of an issue than previous tournaments. And you'd likely have to sub one off for him to come on.

Grealish getting a token 10 minutes at the end even with half the squad missing. I genuinely could see him getting cut, would much rather see Eze in the squad as he deserves it for the way he's been playing lately.

One more thing...it was a lovely finish but TAA in midfield seems to be one of those things the pundits annually hype up and yet he's always incredibly average whenever he plays there. There's a reason why Klopp never attempted it.

2 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Bowen been really poor tbh looks well outta sync with everyone. 

Pretty clear he'll be cut. Saka and Palmer miles ahead as right sided options and bit of a luxury to take three in that position with lack of depth in other areas.

Bowen's an excellent domestic player in the cut and thrust prem but does feel he's one of those that can't quite adapt to international football. 

25 shots, 8 on target. Southgate should have clicked on 'Work Ball into the Box'. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tinker said:

Our group is looking more difficult, Serbia 4 up and Denmark beating Spain.

Reading womens scores 😉

• Haha 3

I think Southgate has already decided on taking Toney mainly due to his last game for England and he mentioned he was the best option to replace Kane if required.The fact that he has been generally piss poor for Brentford since returning from injury and the team looked better without him eg 5 1 win at Luton but for some reason Frank picked him over better performing players.Toney avoided any real contact during this time and was obviously focused on not getting injured.From my point of view I want his to play well for England so we get more money for him when,thank god he leaves my club in the summer.I would add it was difficult for Oli to shine last week given the line up and the crap service he got but still think he could and should go to the finals.

6 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I think Southgate has already decided on taking Toney mainly due to his last game for England and he mentioned he was the best option to replace Kane if required.The fact that he has been generally piss poor for Brentford since returning from injury and the team looked better without him eg 5 1 win at Luton but for some reason Frank picked him over better performing players.Toney avoided any real contact during this time and was obviously focused on not getting injured.From my point of view I want his to play well for England so we get more money for him when,thank god he leaves my club in the summer.I would add it was difficult for Oli to shine last week given the line up and the crap service he got but still think he could and should go to the finals.

am sure you are willing to sell him but not sure is actually a market for him if honest. He isnt as good as his ego feels but think he be at West Ham at best in the summer 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

am sure you are willing to sell him but not sure is actually a market for him if honest. He isnt as good as his ego feels but think he be at West Ham at best in the summer 

If he gets some game time at the euros and does well think there will be plenty of interest for what price who knows.

32 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

If he gets some game time at the euros and does well think there will be plenty of interest for what price who knows.

I agree, the hype is a bit down on him at the moment, but it won't take long to come back with some form.

He might not get the Arsenal move that he seemed destined for, but Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal all need a striker. City may be selling Alvarez. Who knows what happens if he has a great Euros and their other more exciting targets don't come off?

I personally can't see it as likely, but it's certainly in his range of outcomes that he has a great Euros and ends up at one of these clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Madison, Curtis Jones and Quansah not going to be part of the squad. 4 Cuts left, surely Ollie makes it through, Konsa going to be tight.

A keeper will be removed as well

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A keeper will be removed as well

Yep - Trafford most likely.

3 more to go - another defender definitely (Dunk or Branthwaite I'd guess). Think Gomez gets in as LB cover with Shaw being a fitness risk. I think Konsa goes too tbh. I think he's 4th CB in the pecking order and obviously offers versatility. 

Another midfielder will be cut. I think Bowen is in trouble, must be third choice RW and we have a lot of left-footed players (although not much pace). But possibly Eze or Gordon miss out.

I think he'll take both Watkins and Toney. So it will be another fringe player (Wharton, or one of the other defenders/midfielders I mentioned) - depends on how he wants to balance the squad. 

Is it a bit strange he hasn't just waited until after the Iceland game?

Jones leaving the squad already - must have been a long shot to make it (no cap so far) - but is a young player and I understood giving him the experience around the camp, even if he wasn't going to go. So why not just stay the full duration?

Looks like Maddison immediately left the camp too upon the news.