Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

51 minutes ago, BOF said:

Tonight's line-up will tell us a lot.

It will and it won't.

It's actually an important game - 1st or 2nd (or 3rd!) place finish determines who England play next. 

So if Southgate believes his starting 11 is the strongest 11, then he will play it and not make changes. 

If he wants to change it, he is sort of saying "I don't know what I'm doing". 

The thing is, it doesn't make too much of a difference who he plays. TAA is a capable player, he should be enough for Slovenia. Sure, he was crap, but sticking Gallagher there won't transform England into an attacking powerhouse.

The problem is not selection, it's the tactics and approach to games. 

What I want to see is the entire team playing 15 yards higher up and making some good passes. And pressing off the ball. But that's not a fix that's possible within a few days. 

If England come 2nd its Saturday night game vs Germany

Police will be dreading that as well

Win the group and Sunday vs probably Austria

18 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It will and it won't.

It's actually an important game - 1st or 2nd (or 3rd!) place finish determines who England play next. 

So if Southgate believes his starting 11 is the strongest 11, then he will play it and not make changes. 

If he wants to change it, he is sort of saying "I don't know what I'm doing". 

The thing is, it doesn't make too much of a difference who he plays. TAA is a capable player, he should be enough for Slovenia. Sure, he was crap, but sticking Gallagher there won't transform England into an attacking powerhouse.

The problem is not selection, it's the tactics and approach to games. 

What I want to see is the entire team playing 15 yards higher up and making some good passes. And pressing off the ball. But that's not a fix that's possible within a few days. 

In my opinion playing his 1st choice 11 for the 3rd time in a row is loser mentality (which fits with Southgate in fairness) and tells me he has no real expectation of winning the tournament. And at best it gets him to the semis and a glorious loss to France (whereupon I hope they extend his contract).

Play some of the squad. It doesn't have to be a complete second string. You brought them for a reason. They are bloody good players. The likes of Palmer and Mainoo (only examples) could easily throw the opposition for a loop and change the dynamic.

IMO the reason he goes with his strongest line-up again is because his vanity is afraid of how it reflects upon him if the second team looks better than what he has decided his first team are. But that should be exactly one of the reasons why you use them. You give them the chance to shine. You are already through. Yes your opponent hasn't been decided, but you really think they're not good enough to win anyway? I  think they are. And so what if you come second? You then beat that opponent. And most importantly you are giving your first 11 a rest ffs. It's tournament football.  It's what the big sides do. If he plays his first 11 he's a loser with small team mentality.

That's why for me it says a lot.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Why do England lineups get revealed/leaked so early?

The first thing Sir Gareth did was get the media onside. I've no doubt it's him leaking things to the media to stop them lynching him. 

38 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The first thing Sir Gareth did was get the media onside. I've no doubt it's him leaking things to the media to stop them lynching him. 

I don't think it's this. I do think from the start of his tenure, they were told to back off, unlike previous managers, where basically a loss or even a poor performance would get them ripped to shreads, I.e, wally with the brolly, turnip etc.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

If England come 2nd its Saturday night game vs Germany

Police will be dreading that as well

Win the group and Sunday vs probably Austria

Germany will beat us thats for sure. But as it stands its looking like holland of we top group. Another team i can see us losing too the way southgate has us playing

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

One change to the England line up… suprise suprise, Conor Gallagher comes in for Trent. Didn’t see that coming  

Wow im stunned

This guys a **** idiot

Edited by Demitri_C

So let me get this straight. 

I heard Southgate, say in midweek, there will be 'changes' and also he thinks players are suffering with fitness or whatever. 

On the back of this, he makes 1 change. 

1 change. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't think it's this. I do think from the start of his tenure, they were told to back off, unlike previous managers, where basically a loss or even a poor performance would get them ripped to shreads, I.e, wally with the brolly, turnip etc.

I do wonder how many of them, like the fans, have been holding back since 2018

To a certain extent the media do still (lazily) play to their crowd and until now the tide hasn't turned 

I dont think he's once at any point sorted the midfield, the defence being shite has been easy to point out and largely down to players available, the midfield has been **** terrible too but that's been his own doing 

He really is the **** pits isn’t he? Eight years have sucked any interest in the national team. I’ll watch tonight, but if they put in the same performance I hope there is a media onslaught. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Everyone ready for more of the same? He's stubborn and incompetent. Media will really go after him if we look poor again.

Shearer had a bit of a moan about him in the Denmark game. Micah just said he needs to start getting the best out of Foden, usual amateur comment.