Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

Neville saying Rice should be played as an 8 rather than a 6, who do you play as the 6 then?

If only we had a natural replacement for Kalvin Phillips.  We'd win every game 5-0.

Of course it's not the worst suggestion you've ever read stop lying

The reaction to it makes me think you don't actually understand how we line up, we don't play a traditional 442, if Belligham was wide left for England or Foden wide right, they wouldn't be playing as traditional wingers, just like Ramsey isn't a traditional winger for us, he's a wide midfielder, Foden on the right wouldn't be like an old fashioined winger - he's played wide right many times for Manchester Cty, in the system you could swap him and Palmer

Kane

Bellingham Palmer Foden

Rice Mainoo

Saka Guehi Stones Konsa

pickford

Am I high, worst suggestion ever read, such fake performative bullshit, I wasn't even arguing England should play like that, just pointing out that England have the players to play the same system that Emery has us playing more or less, the real problem would more likely be a Southgate being able to make it work tactically

That formation has zero width, and we will face the same problems. It works for us as Watkins creates space, we will just be closed off in the middle and have no options.

Saka has to play higher up. 

• Like 1

I honestly believe that Deano would get a better tune out of this squad. 

It also begs the question, Are these players as good as they have been built up to be? It was very reminiscent of the England team under Hodgson, that performed so abjectly in the 16 Euros. Tense, fearful and, almost, overwhelmed by the occasion. This was just the group matches against opposition you would expect us to be able to impose ourselves. The only thing the manager got right was sending Ollie on. Saka flatters to deceive. Foden looks impotent in an England shirt. Regardless of where he is playing, he just doesn't seem convincing. Nothing is going to go right for you if you lack self - belief. 

Expectation comes with the territory, if you allow that to become overwhelming, it doesn't matter how good you are on paper. It's the same old story, another England team with fairly decent players but not a clue how to play attacking cohesive, football. Remember Pirlo beating us on his own? That's the fear, coming back with our tails between our legs. Let's be honest, at the moment, it's highly likely, that will be the case.

Edited by sheepyvillian

4 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

That formation has zero width, and we will face the same problems. It works for us as Watkins creates space, we will just be closed off in the middle and have no options.

Saka has to play higher up. 

Saka doesn't have to play, tbf. He hasn't looked anything like the Arsenal Saka. That's the reason he's in the team, if it isn't happening, then try something different. Cole Palmer, not even a sniff. Connor Gallagher, we looked even worse. 

The Grealish ommision looks even more the wrong decision now. One thing about Jack, he's not shy coming forward. That's what we seem, desperately, to lack. An individual who can make moments in a game. I had a feeling that decision might come back to haunt him. I can imagine some of the French, Portuguese and Spanish players scratching their heads at that one. You can guarantee neither of those side would have left such a talent at home. I wonder if it was purely for football reasons. Why let him play in the warm - up games? He played well against Bosnia, only to realise, it was an exercise in futility. So, before the tournament even begins, there's negative controversy. I imagine Jack was fuming, and rightly so, leading him up the garden path? It was unnecessary headlines. 

There's almost a sense that all is not well amongst the squad and that is certainly being reflected in their performances. Let's hope we just don't get to the point where Kane is taking the corners. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Saka doesn't have to play, tbf. He hasn't looked anything like the Arsenal Saka. That's the reason he's in the team, if it isn't happening, then try something different. Cole Palmer, not even a sniff. Connor Gallagher, we looked even worse. 

The Grealish ommision looks even more the wrong decision now. One thing about Jack, he's not shy coming forward. That's what we seem, desperately, to lack. An individual who can make moments in a game. I had a feeling that decision might come back to haunt him. I can imagine some of the French, Portuguese and Spanish players scratching their heads at that one. You can guarantee neither of those side would have left such a talent at home. I wonder if it was purely for football reasons. Why let him play in the warm - up games? He played well against Bosnia, only to realise, it was an exercise in futility. So, before the tournament even begins, there's negative controversy. I imagine Jack was fuming, and rightly so, leading him up the garden path? It was unnecessary headlines. 

There's almost a sense that all is not well amongst the squad and that is certainly being reflected in their performances. Let's hope we just don't get to the point where Kane is taking the corners. 

Saka was great for 30 minutes against Serbia. I wouldn't drop him myself but if Shaw isn't fit we can't continue with a right footed left back so for the sake of the team you couid plsy him at left back with Gordon on the left and either Foden or Palmer on the right depending who plays alongside Rice. 

On 21/06/2024 at 08:43, Genie said:

I’d be livid if I was his boss at the FA, to be 2 games into the tournament and talking about having to try new things and experiment. Madness. 

They won't be. They'll be nodding their heads sagely and call a meeting to develop a national strategy to ensure we have a conveyor belt of future Kalvin Phillips'

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They won't be. They'll be nodding their heads sagely and call a meeting to develop a national strategy to ensure we have a conveyor belt of future Kalvin Phillips'

I reckon they are split. There will be those who just want an easy live and want the next GS to inoffensively manage the team to respectable but underwhelming finishes.

Then there will be those embarrassed that the men’s team, the MAIN team, with every conceivable resource is the only one that continues to fail to deliver a title. Every age group and the women’s teams have achieved success. There will be people there who are desperate to be bold and put that right. At least there should be.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I reckon they are split. There will be those who just want an easy live and want the next GS to inoffensively manage the team to respectable but underwhelming finishes.

Then there will be those embarrassed that the men’s team, the MAIN team, with every conceivable resource is the only one that continues to fail to deliver a title. Every age group and the women’s teams have achieved success. There will be people there who are desperate to be bold and put that right. At least there should be.

I'll add a 3rd...

Those who look at his win percentage, which is 2nd all time, they look at semi finals and finals and think everything is going swimmingly 

Agree about your last part, there should be a growing number of people at the FA who see that it's not good enough and that he's actually getting worse too but I'm not convinced that there will be

Unfortunately to add another layer to it there'll be a number at the FA that looks at the balance sheet and various other off the field things which are no doubt all very very positive at the moment 

5 hours ago, Genie said:

The FA won't give a shit! This is a organisation who has authorised a independent regulator to regulate the PL. I job the FA should be doing???

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ollie getting praised for his performance and people asking for him to start

Southgate will he have the bottle

Nope. Kane would be out there in a wheelchair if neccesary.

That will be interesting decision for the next manager though as feels like Kane's all around game is starting to decline like Rooney's did around 2013.

He was another who wasn't really dropped but got shoe horned like TAA into a central midfield role and it didn't work at all.

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ollie getting praised for his performance and people asking for him to start

Southgate will he have the bottle

You can play them both, kanes ability to play in someone running past him is underrated 

Ollie is also the highest assister in the PL last season

They'll get goals (!)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Nope. Kane would be out there in a wheelchair if neccesary.

That will be interesting decision for the next manager though as feels like Kane's all around game is starting to decline like Rooney's did around 2013.

He was another who wasn't really dropped but got shoe horned like TAA into a central midfield role and it didn't work at all.

Well some are saying play together and move Bellingham back

I said before England would win Euros if Ollie started and Kane waa dropped and stikk stand by ut

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Well some are saying play together and move Bellingham back

I said before England would win Euros if Ollie started and Kane waa dropped and stikk stand by ut

I have to disagree. The “coach” (can’t name him anymore) is beyond hopeless. It won’t matter who he picks or what the formation is, they won’t win this tournament.