Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

43 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We really are light in midfield these days. To think we used to have Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes and Beckham plus the likes of Ince and McManaman et al.

I know we failed to properly utilise them but still.

Now we are picking players for tournaments who havent even played a full season of proffesional football.

We don't have a top keeper either, or for that matter, much depth at the back, compared to the 90's, 2000's etc.

Attacking wise however, we have an embarrassment of riches.

Shame Southgate won't use them to their full potential.

This.  I've no idea how England are favourites to win it, France have a much better balanced squad. If you take Kane and possibly Bellingham and Foden out, it's an entirely average squad.

11 hours ago, duke313 said:

He’s went full swing the other way, should have tried to find a balance between familiar faces and new guys. 

It reminds me of Sven's squad for 2006, likes of Walcott in when he'd never played a prem game at that point.

The sort of squad you pick when you know you're out of it in two months and don't have to justify your choices to the press anymore.

Think Southgate leaves whatever the final result is.

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Mainoo is a serious talent and will be a mainstay for club and country 

Was great in the cup final wasn't he. I actually think he's the best fit to partner Rice in that pivot area. Had to cover so much ground this season with Casemiro in semi retirement and not being able to run so him and Rice should work pretty well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, duke313 said:

This.  I've no idea how England are favourites to win it, France have a much better balanced squad. If you take Kane and possibly Bellingham and Foden out, it's an entirely average squad.

I actually don't think France will be as strong as last few years. Few of their key players are getting on. Deschamps isn't even starting Saliba.

To me the best back to front team in the tournament is Portugal.

At the back you have Dalot who was probably Man. United's POTS, Dias, Pepe who was great in the Arsenal CL games so age isn't an issue with, Cancelo/Nuno Mendes at LB then ridiculous options in midfield....Joao Palhinha, Ruben Neves, Bernardo Silva, Fernandes and then Joao Neves who Man. United are bidding 50m for.

Rafael Leao and Pedro Neto with pace to burn out wide. The big question mark is....Cristiano Ronaldo. We saw the limitations with him in the last World cup and he was dropped but Martinez won't do that as he played pretty much every minute in qualification. He'll hinder them and they'd probably be better starting Ramos.

I'd go for Portugal to win this as I think they're similar to Italy in the last Euros and I think they'd beat England in knock out match so need to win the group and avoid them before a possible final.

29 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I actually don't think France will be as strong as last few years. Few of their key players are getting on. Deschamps isn't even starting Saliba.

To me the best back to front team in the tournament is Portugal.

At the back you have Dalot who was probably Man. United's POTS, Dias, Pepe who was great in the Arsenal CL games so age isn't an issue with, Cancelo/Nuno Mendes at LB then ridiculous options in midfield....Joao Palhinha, Ruben Neves, Bernardo Silva, Fernandes and then Joao Neves who Man. United are bidding 50m for.

Rafael Leao and Pedro Neto with pace to burn out wide. The big question mark is....Cristiano Ronaldo. We saw the limitations with him in the last World cup and he was dropped but Martinez won't do that as he played pretty much every minute in qualification. He'll hinder them and they'd probably be better starting Ramos.

I'd go for Portugal to win this as I think they're similar to Italy in the last Euros and I think they'd beat England in knock out match so need to win the group and avoid them before a possible final.

Saliba didn't even make the squad.

Its an open tournament with no real favourite. England, France, Portugal, Germany(as hosts) and maybe Netherlands and  Spain all capable of winning. Croatia, Italy and Belgium being dark horses

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

If you take 3 of the best players in the world out of any squad then it would get significantly worse 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Saliba didn't even make the squad.

Its an open tournament with no real favourite. England, France, Portugal, Germany(as hosts) and maybe Netherlands and  Spain all capable of winning. Croatia, Italy and Belgium being dark horses

He did.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Really. Was mainly reported last week that he didnt make the cut

Only thing I saw was a load of Arsenal fans going off on Twitter as to why he didn't start their last friendly, and he's likely not going to be first choice, but he's in the squad though.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, duke313 said:

English bookmakers.  If you took out some of the big hitters like Mbapoe France wouldn't be so good either and quite a few ageing players like Giroud, Kante. Plus Griezmann in their squad. 

Edited by PaulC

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

I disagree - the England squad is strong.  I'd be happy with the take that France have a better goalkeeper/defence, but Walker, Bellingham, Rice, Saka, Foden and Kane are all very, very good ("World Class") players and there's plenty good enough in reserve.

Watkins doesn't look fully up to speed for England

Toney is out of form and has 2 caps for England

Harry Kane is carrying a knock

Meaningless friendly at home a week before a tournament...you know who is starting

The man's a **** clown 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watkins doesn't look fully up to speed for England

Toney is out of form and has 2 caps for England

Harry Kane is carrying a knock

Meaningless friendly at home a week before a tournament...you know who is starting

The man's a **** clown 

Absolutely **** mental. No other word for it. What on earth will Kane gain from playing this game, with only one of the three other forwards he'll play in the tournament with. 

I cannot stand southgate. He's utterly clueless yet tries to come across like he knows everything.

Finally picks a squad on form, but still won't have a clue how to use it in the tournament

• Like 1