Euro 2024: Group A (Germany, Hungary, Scotland, Switzerland)

limpid

7 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

I think games like that for me at least, prove that the Euro's should go back to 4 groups of 4. Scotland are utter s***e and Hungary are not much better.

Was there never a below-average game when there were 16 teams?

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Of course there were, but it's meant to be the elite of Europe facing each other. Not two well below par teams trying to get 3rd in their group in order to attempt to advance to the next round where they get knocked out.

We all know why I Uefa do it, for more money. As Fifa have done when the next World Cup is expanded to a ridiculous number of teams. 

• Like 3

Scotland were likely to go out anyway, so I don't think Clarke under achieved particularly. His decisions were poor in that last game especially, but I'm not sure keeping Mcginn and Robertson on would have changed the eventual outcome.

They may have scraped 0-0 but I think that would still see them getting ejected with a -4 goal difference. 

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Scotland were likely to go out anyway, so I don't think Clarke under achieved particularly. His decisions were poor in that last game especially, but I'm not sure keeping Mcginn and Robertson on would have changed the eventual outcome.

They may have scraped 0-0 but I think that would still see them getting ejected with a -4 goal difference. 

He probably overachieved as a lot of the players are Championship level at best

They have 4-5 players in European challenging sides then a huge drop off. They don't have a middle tier of player, Hanley, Porteous, Gunn, Adams and few more are 2nd tier standard

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He probably overachieved as a lot of the players are Championship level at best

They have 4-5 players in European challenging sides then a huge drop off. They don't have a middle tier of player, Hanley, Porteous, Gunn, Adams and few more are 2nd tier standard

Their squad is a lot better than their performances this tournament have suggested.

Hungary only have 3 or 4 players in their squad who play at a high standard too. But they've looked a mile better than Scotland

Scotland have been shite

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It was just a better competition with 16 teams.  I hate the whole four best 3rd place teams qualifying.

Takes a lot of the jeopardy out of the group stage (unless you're Scotland).  Also doesn't make the group stage, which is the main bulk of the tournament feel that worth the effort if it only eliminates a third of the field.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It was just a better competition with 16 teams.  I hate the whole four best 3rd place teams qualifying.

Takes a lot of the jeopardy out of the group stage (unless you're Scotland).  Also doesn't make the group stage, which is the main bulk of the tournament feel that worth the effort if it only eliminates a third of the field.

I just absolutely do not agree. I have loved watching Georgia's games, a team that would never under any circumstances have qualified for a 16-team tournament. And I like watching football, so more of it is fine by me.

But hey ho, different strokes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I just absolutely do not agree. I have loved watching Georgia's games, a team that would never under any circumstances have qualified for a 16-team tournament. And I like watching football, so more of it is fine by me.

But hey ho, different strokes. 

Make it 32 teams then 😆

I just can't stick the third place thing.  Devalues the group stage for me.

Amazing that Scotland even qualified, they are awful.

Three (3) shots on target in three games, their so called better players isolated and exposed playing with inferior players. Steve Clarke is just the most dour of coaches, how can he motivate his players when he seems so negative?

Their three better players in McGinn, Robertson and McTominay just looked average.

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Make it 32 teams then 😆

I just can't stick the third place thing.  Devalues the group stage for me.

I could maybe get on board with that. No-one would even need to play any more games either...

But you're going to end up with the same 16 getting through 9 times out of 10 when you add even more dross.

The tournament would also run on longer which is a no go with how long the season is already.