Euro 2024: Group A (Germany, Hungary, Scotland, Switzerland)

limpid

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

did hear last night that the ref wasn't European, not sure where he was from (or the VAR team)

Ref was Argentinian 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

what's the excuse?

you think its a penalty because the PL has bad refs who have a history of awarding nonsense penalties like that, in the euros its not a penalty because they're not bad refs and are not putting up with it

the ref saw it didn't think it was a penalty, VAR saw it didn't think it was a penalty, we all saw it here and we're split, you think it was I think it wasn't

collectively anyone who doesn't agree that it was a penalty is wrong?

its not a penalty firstly because the attacker jumps in to the defender and secondly because a knee to your leg does not result in that fall, the ref was spot on

Every media outlet is agreeing its a penalty its not "just" me. And how is that a "nonsense" penalty you will have to explain that one to me ?

If that wasnt given against us in a knock out came i would be furious ans i suspect you would be too. If you didnt have var and it was a ref error you can accept it. But there is no excuses for not giving that with var.

It's a penalty in the PL yes, I can see VAR studying it for 5 minutes then bottler Cootes giving that one it all day long.  But the reality is it wasn't, an shouldn't be. It's a Salah special, brush of the leg, no way enough for me.

Everyone knows now in the PL, you can hardly put in a tough challenge in the box, as our players just fall over and know they can blag a pen from our poor refs, or are allowed just get up and walk off, no yellow cards no warnings for diving.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Every media outlet is agreeing its a penalty its not "just" me. And how is that a "nonsense" penalty you will have to explain that one to me ?

If that wasnt given against us in a knock out came i would be furious ans i suspect you would be too. If you didnt have var and it was a ref error you can accept it. But there is no excuses for not giving that with var.

Alan shearer thinking thats a penalty shows how far the brain washing has gone, he'd have bounced that defender in to next week before getting his shot off

That said shearer also would also have controlled the ball first rather than looking like a ballerina 

And the media just spin the narrative, they always do, it can't be that Scotland are out because they aren't good enough there has to be outrage at a ref, the PL is the same every week, our refs aren't good enough but there's a massive element of crying wolf, it's almost inevitable that England will somehow be "cheated" out of the competition despite being utter **** wank in it 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

British pundits, who barely watch anything apart from the Premier League think it's the penalty. I can see why you'd be pissed off if we didn't get one like that, because the precedent is well set in our league, but it's shite.

We'd have a far better game if the PL refs followed the examples we've seen in this tournament rather than the farce we witness in the PL week in, week out. We've specifically encouraged players chucking themselves to the floor if they feel the faintest touch because they know that PGMOL have essentially turned the English game into a non-contact sport (but only in the box).

• Like 2

For me it's just about not a penalty. If the striker had control of the ball, then i'd say he has every right to slow down, or stop to take a shot. But he didn't have control of the ball, which is why he had to slam the breaks on and side step in front of the incoming defender. Defender can't know he's going to do that and more importantly shouldn't be expecting him to do that.

It's the classic move Kane (any many others to be fair) used to pull where he'd plant his foot in a totally unnatural position to get the defender to kick him. 

It's possible VAR didn't look at it because there was an offside in the build up, and I think there's an argument that if they had they'd have given it, but I don't think that would have been the right outcome. 

On Armstrong's part, I think his fall is natural. He's holding off the defender, who then takes away his standing leg. The combination makes him collapse the way he did. But he can't be claiming it's a penalty because he didn't have control of the ball then jumped in the path of the defender who was running in alongside him. 

Edited by MrBlack

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Alan shearer thinking thats a penalty shows how far the brain washing has gone, he'd have bounced that defender in to next week before getting his shot off

That said shearer also would also have controlled the ball first rather than looking like a ballerina 

And the media just spin the narrative, they always do, it can't be that Scotland are out because they aren't good enough there has to be outrage at a ref, the PL is the same every week, our refs aren't good enough but there's a massive element of crying wolf, it's almost inevitable that England will somehow be "cheated" out of the competition despite being utter **** wank in it 

Oh i agree about your point about scotland being really poor and not good enough.

I just think this was a blantent pen. He takes him out. Thats a pen for me all day long. 

Edited by Demitri_C

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's a penalty in the PL yes, I can see VAR studying it for 5 minutes then bottler Cootes giving that one it all day long.  But the reality is it wasn't, an shouldn't be. It's a Salah special, brush of the leg, no way enough for me.

Everyone knows now in the PL, you can hardly put in a tough challenge in the box, as our players just fall over and know they can blag a pen from our poor refs, or are allowed just get up and walk off, no yellow cards no warnings for diving.

I don't necessarily disagree with the overall assessment, but "brush of the leg" is massively underplaying it.

The defender knees him in the back of the knee which is what knocks him over.

You can argue about not having the ball under control and intiating contact and stepping in front of the defender etc etc
But you can't deny that however it happened, the contact was significant

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

Pretty pathetic from Scotland

IMG-0788.jpg

If you consider their games in halves, i.e. they played 6 halves of football, they didn't have a shot on goal in 3 of those.

It was a tough group, but they were really really poor

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pretty pathetic from Scotland

They don't have the players. Their plan coming into the tournament was to draw 0-0 with Switzerland and hope to beat Hungary 1-0. It nearly worked. I don't think Clarke is a good manager either. He just got lucky in the group phase. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with the overall assessment, but "brush of the leg" is massively underplaying it.

The defender knees him in the back of the knee which is what knocks him over.

You can argue about not having the ball under control and intiating contact and stepping in front of the defender etc etc
But you can't deny that however it happened, the contact was significant

Okay Micah. 😂

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Scotland just liked quality unfortunately. They haven't had a real class striker since the days of Ally McCoist. It is a fairly bang average side with a  couple of decent players. 

I’d have played Mctominay upfront. Was always a striker in the United academy and converted to a midfielder in the first team. He’s shown he can score goals and can’t be worse than Che Adams.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

They don't have the players. Their plan coming into the tournament was to draw 0-0 with Switzerland and hope to beat Hungary 1-0. It nearly worked. I don't think Clarke is a good manager either. He just got lucky in the group phase. 

Yep, wish Norway had qualified instead. 

Haaland, Odegaard, Bobb, Sorloth, Ajer and Ryerson. I think they'd have been much more competitive.