Euro 2024: Group A (Germany, Hungary, Scotland, Switzerland)

limpid

On first viewing, looked a certain penalty.

On replay, Armstrong appears to step across and stop. That may be due to his poor touch, but that's Harry Kane-esque. Glad it wasn't given.

• Like 1

Would have been a penalty if Scotland had played in the same colours as liverpool or man utd, arsenal, or man city, spuds or chelski......and refereed by an English premier league ref with VAR and the refs mates watching.

• Like 1

You see those pens given all the time in the Premier League. It’s no surprise Shearer though it should be given as the British pundits love the slow mo and agree that because there was some contact it’s a pen (forgetting it’s a contact sport).

The Scotland striker whilst he did get a knee to the calf was definitely more interested in winning a pen than trying to score. It all looked very manufactured. It’s a shame for Scotland but I am happy for these type of incidents not generating penalties, it’s ruined English football for years.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

You see those pens given all the time in the Premier League. It’s no surprise Shearer though it should be given as the British pundits love the slow mo and agree that because there was some contact it’s a pen (forgetting it’s a contact sport).

The Scotland striker whilst he did get a knee to the calf was definitely more interested in winning a pen than trying to score. It all looked very manufactured. It’s a shame for Scotland but I am happy for these type of incidents not generating penalties, it’s ruined English football for years.

right on both points for me

you see those given in the PL, doesn't make it right though, it never looked right at any point, he jumps across the defender, there is obviously contact I'm not going to suggest there isn't but that contact doesn't do that, a knee to his left thigh spins him round 90 degrees? no chance

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Seen pens given for far less than that in PL. Its a clear pen for me shocking that it never even went to VAR

my understanding of VAR would be that it did, the video refs looked at it again and then decided it wasn't worth the formal review and the pitch side monitor, they watch everything, its selective as to what they can get involved in but they still watch the entire game

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

my understanding of VAR would be that it did, the video refs looked at it again and then decided it wasn't worth the formal review and the pitch side monitor, they watch everything, its selective as to what they can get involved in but they still watch the entire game

If they had VAR look at it and think that isnt a penalty then you are either totally useless at your job or youe cheating.

Thats clear as day its a penalty 

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If they had VAR look at it and think that isnt a penalty then you are either totally useless at your job or youe cheating.

Thats clear as day its a penalty 

or they're highly qualified and and experienced and the viewers aren't ;) 

id go the other way (kw) and say that if you think that's a penalty its because you've become attuned to years of bad PL decisions

did hear last night that the ref wasn't European, not sure where he was from (or the VAR team)

• Like 1

I still think it was offside, and that's why VAR didn't properly check it.

If VAR had looked at it properly it would have been given

9 hours ago, wishywashy said:

Probably the best case scenario with an incident like that. Could have been very, very bad. Thank goodness

This is great news but I did find the overreaction to it quite weird.

People on twitter had diagnosed him with a broken neck and severe brain trauma

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Seen pens given for far less than that in PL. Its a clear pen for me shocking that it never even went to VAR

In England a toe brushing a leg is justification and it’s completely wrong. Tournaments like this remind us just how bad the officiating is here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

or they're highly qualified and and experienced and the viewers aren't ;) 

id go the other way (kw) and say that if you think that's a penalty its because you've become attuned to years of bad PL decisions

did hear last night that the ref wasn't European, not sure where he was from (or the VAR team)

I dont think thats a acceptable excuse when you have the best version of VAR and we are suppose to have the "best refs" from each country. You are on a global audience . Its really really poor

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Twitter Doctors are as bad and deluded as Twitter Detectives… 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He did look to be having some sort of fit or seizure on the ground. The reaction of the doctors and players also suggested something very serious had occurred.

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think thats a acceptable excuse when you have the best version of VAR and we are suppose to have the "best refs" from each country. You are on a global audience . Its really really poor

what's the excuse?

you think its a penalty because the PL has bad refs who have a history of awarding nonsense penalties like that, in the euros its not a penalty because they're not bad refs and are not putting up with it

the ref saw it didn't think it was a penalty, VAR saw it didn't think it was a penalty, we all saw it here and we're split, you think it was I think it wasn't

collectively anyone who doesn't agree that it was a penalty is wrong?

its not a penalty firstly because the attacker jumps in to the defender and secondly because a knee to your leg does not result in that fall, the ref was spot on

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

He did look to be having some sort of fit or seizure on the ground. The reaction of the doctors and players also suggested something very serious had occurred.

It looked really bad for sure. But people were writing his obituary