Euro 2024: Group A (Germany, Hungary, Scotland, Switzerland)

limpid

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

If England finish second, they would play Germany. 

Germany win their group and get us who finished 2nd

We win our group and get Hungary who finished 3rd.

How is that fair?....

As winners, Germany get a much easier draw than us :trollface:

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

This tournament has been fine, the two most boring teams have been England and Scotland

Teams like Georgia, Slovenia, Albania might lack stars but all in with energy and excitement

It's not the teams it's the format 

The 16 team format was excellent, this 3rd place team stuff is nonsense 

The WC if it is 16 x 3 will be interesting but not if the top 2 go through 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I doubt they'll include it in the highlight videos seeing as it wasn't even reviewed (?) 

Armstrong to me looked like if he just ran normally in a straight line then it's an all dayer but looks at his body shape, he skips jumps twists never once has control of his own body let alone the ball, he's all over the shop, he jumps in to the defender looking for contact, twists completely unnaturally while also looking like his trying to hook an arm 

There's obviously contact but Armstrong at no point looks right in what he's doing 

He’s Scottish, what do you expect?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's not the teams it's the format 

The 16 team format was excellent, this 3rd place team stuff is nonsense 

The WC if it is 16 x 3 will be interesting but not if the top 2 go through 

yeah but if was no 3rd place spot then Germany and Switzerland were already through tonight

Was no reason for Hungary to care and Germany/Swiss could have played out a competitive 0-0 draw as Scotland were not clawing back a four goal difference

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Yeah I could see that as no pen now

To add another angle, he only yanks the shirt after the defender has clattered the back of his leg. That isn't what makes it not a penalty.

• Like 1

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Yeah I could see that as no pen now

To me he's gone to control it with his left foot, whiffed that by a truly stunning amount for a professional footballer done a weird skip in the air for absolutely no reason then twisted 90° as he leans in to the defender 

It's proper dreadful from Armstrong 

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

We will feel grateful to have seen that match, when next weekend's entertainment is the godawful Coldplay headlining Glastonbury for the 1,000th time.

yes but will also be an England game as well to challenge Coldplay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well for us would be a star but outsiders looking at Scotland only recognise Robertson

Mcginn also didnt do much this tournament

Who are the stars in the Romania and Slovakia teams? I'll give you Skinirar but that's still only one player. Both already won a game at this tournament and shown far more attacking ambition than Scotland generally. Was going to lump Slovenia in but they have a world class keeper and CF so completely different to Scotland even if the rest of their talent pool is modest.

Wales aswell in Euro 2020 got through to last 16 with similar squad given Bale and Ramsey were massively on the decline at that point (as the World cup 18 months later proved).

I don't think it's unreasonable for the Tartan Army to be demanding better performances from Scotland at the tournaments.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That's a bonkers view :D 

Surely , the bonkers opinion is  all those that think it’s a pen when the official and VAR didn’t 😛

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Close one - I think the defender in the middle is playing him on; but yeah, didn't see a replay or anything.

Given how quickly it's been implemented in this tournament (when not seen by British eyes) I imagine they picked up he was offside and just communicated to the ref rather than wasting 2-3 minutes as would happen with a similar incident in the premier league.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who are the stars in the Romania and Slovakia teams? I'll give you Skinirar but that's still only one player. Both already won a game at this tournament and shown far more attacking ambition than Scotland generally. Was going to lump Slovenia in but they have a world class keeper and CF so completely different to Scotland even if the rest of their talent pool is modest.

Wales aswell in Euro 2020 got through to last 16 with similar squad given Bale and Ramsey were massively on the decline at that point (as the World cup 18 months later proved).

I don't think it's unreasonable for the Tartan Army to be demanding better performances from Scotland at the tournaments.

Don't disagree but when they've got Che Adams up front they're kind of **** 

I really hope wolves do go after him

And I'm convinced Wilson will start for them before he's 21

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Don't disagree but when they've got Che Adams up front they're kind of **** 

I really hope wolves do go after him

And I'm convinced Wilson will start for them before he's 21

Hickey and Lewis Ferguson are excellent young players aswell so unlucky they lost both to serious injury although Clarke barely used Ferguson in last year even though he'd been doing great in Serie A.

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To me he's gone to control it with his left foot, whiffed that by a truly stunning amount for a professional footballer done a weird skip in the air for absolutely no reason then twisted 90° as he leans in to the defender 

It's proper dreadful from Armstrong 

The 90degree twist you keep mentioning is caused by the defender kneeing him in the back of his knee. That’s the penalty, not the pulling and shoving of arms. 

It’s irrelevant as I still think it’s offside. But you seem to be missing the part that makes it a penalty 

Hungary’s winner looked like a close offside call. In Englamd VAR would have checked the goal for 10 painful minutes. With this semi-automatic business, they just automatically assume it’s onside and don’t even mention it.

50 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

BBC confirmed Varga is conscious and stable in hospital. Good news.

Probably the best case scenario with an incident like that. Could have been very, very bad. Thank goodness

• Like 1