Euro 2024: Group A (Germany, Hungary, Scotland, Switzerland)

limpid

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Don't tell me you don't rate Germany as a top side?

Do you?

Because they're not, they've had a tough couple of years, euro 21 was poor, WC22 was a disaster, neuer hummels Muller and kroos are all more or less finished, they don't have a proper reliable striker, for club and country kimmich has gone back to RB where he's good but imo he's better at DMC, they've done it because they don't have good fullbacks or really a good defence overall

Fortunately for them they've had musiala and wirtz break through 

They will do better because they're at home but they're not a great German side 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Do you?

Because they're not, they've had a tough couple of years, euro 21 was poor, WC22 was a disaster, neuer hummels Muller and kroos are all more or less finished, they don't have a proper reliable striker, for club and country kimmich has gone back to RB where he's good but imo he's better at DMC, they've done it because they don't have good fullbacks or really a good defence overall

Fortunately for them they've had musiala and wirtz break through 

They will do better because they're at home but they're not a great German side 

Yeah, I do. Experience of Kroos, Rudiger and Gundogan.

Quality of Musiala, Wirtz and Havertz. It's a strong mix. I've backed them to win it.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I'd say so, I get the problem with it especially for the likes of England but when it's someone like Scotland they're not loaded with options 

And he's been in the Scotland set up for a long time, pre arsenal

For me it's more a case of they play a 5 and try and squeeze in him and Robertson, they've also got hickey, just a weird thing where they have so little quality in the squad but somehow 3 decent LBs

Doesn't Hickey play RB as well? Is he in the squad?

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yet people on here complained Grealish didnt get called up

Still one of England's best players and not as if he didn't play a single minute. Started both CL quarters ffs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah, I do. Experience of Kroos, Rudiger and Gundogan.

Quality of Musiala, Wirtz and Havertz. It's a strong mix. I've backed them to win it.

I'm not going to say they can't because that's why the euros is the best competition (well it was before UEFA got greedy and **** it) but they're not the strongest team

Hard to look past France but then after that everyone has a weakness, England Spain Portugal etc they're in the mix but all bearable 

But the German squad is flawed, there's not actually that much buzz around them winning it here, a lot of them think England will so obviously don't know Southgate...I still think they needed a striker this tournament, needed moukoko or adeyemi to hit it like Owen in 98

He's had a bad year and doesn't deserve to be there but I think they'll miss an in form goretzka come the end too

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Still one of England's best players and not as if he didn't play a single minute. Started both CL quarters ffs.

For me it's more than he's got a different skillset to Bowen and Gordon who I think won't do a fat lot Vs a low block and England will face a low block 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

Two observations:

1) The refereeing and VAR, chef’s kiss. Even if he did miss the two footer I don’t think many of us saw more than a coming together in real time and he corrected it in once glance at the monitor (I still think having a monitor is absurd and the VAR should just call it but there we are).

2) I love Fullkrug. Proper number 9 like the good old days. 

edit: third observation - love the rule of only captains talking to the ref. Who’d have thought that’d be a good idea…after having had it suggested since at least when I started watching football in the 90s…

Are all of these upgrades going to be implemented by the premier league  in the new season ?

I hope so, got to be an improvement on the half ar$ed method the premier league currently use.

Also I remember us putting 4 past Angus Gunn in the Championship and he was terrible that day. I've followed his since and he's gone for 15m been up been down and is somehow playing at an international tournament despite being truly terrible.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Also I remember us putting 4 past Angus Gunn in the Championship and he was terrible that day. I've followed his since and he's gone for 15m been up been down and is somehow playing at an international tournament despite being truly terrible.

So bad.

You can do nothing with an awful keeper.

Basically relegated Leicester IMO.

I got 20 quid on Germany to win it at 8/1. Think they’ll come short due to not having a proper striker

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Was at Man. City and Southampton love buying their kids for 10-15m.

@Tomaszk is thinking of Danny Ward who is Wales number one.

Yeah Gunn was awful but not great alternatives as back up.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

So bad.

Did he play for Leicester? I thought he was still only about 23 the way people went on about him

Nyland would give you more comfort in goal

What even is this? Even if he had gotten all of the ball before he hit the player (he didn't) it's still a red. Caveman tackle.

d8ed95f4-4c95-4e83-8df6-62cc1f78bcd1?fit=crop&format=auto&h=1266&q=50&w=1900&s=1b6d1f17c9307b40c73897ba489c996d27d8c6ae

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Did he play for Leicester? I thought he was still only about 23 the way people went on about him

Nyland would give you more comfort in goal

Think he just meant having a terrible keeper is what got Leicester relegated - rather than confusing Gunn playing for them.

Danny Ward and another GK (Danish I think) were both utterly rancid during the season they went down.

I remember they were both £4m on fpl, so owning both Leicester goalies was initially a popular strategy until everyone realised they were horseshit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spoony said:

edit: third observation - love the rule of only captains talking to the ref. Who’d have thought that’d be a good idea…after having had it suggested since at least when I started watching football in the 90s…

This has been the case in rugby for as long as I can remember, it usually works but these days other players have their say too which used to be clamped down on (see Nigel Owens for reference) but not so much lately. It's good to see it in football, makes total sense. 

You know its a tournament when Switzerland and Shaqiri turn up. Watch him do something magical in one of the games in the tournament and then disappear again to pop up in 2026

He is only 32

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

So bad.

That's how bad he is. Relegated Leicester despite never playing for them.

Think you're getting confused with Danny Ward.