Euro 2024: Round of 16

limpid

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I can never see the hate for Ronaldo, yes he's fading, but he's been one of the best players in the world and his numbers are staggering.

Ronaldo might have a huge ego, but he is rockstar. Messi is far from perfect, tries to avoid taxes, an has moved to America cause he's about finished, but wants that last payday.

Wait, if Messi moving to the MLS (and being on less money) is "that last payday"... what exactly is Ronaldo doing in Saudi?

He's an insufferable dickhead on the pitch, though.  However great he may be.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Sorry but you're talking nonsense.

He could have been paid far more in other places, is dominating the MLS with insane stats and his team are top of the league. He's also still Argentina's best player and playing superbly for them.

Ronaldo is dominating the Saudi league, an I'm sure do a job in the MLS. 

As for being Argentina's best player, I wouldn't bet on that.

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Would say it's the opposite though no fault of his. Prices are nearly 1000 dollars for some Miami games

From my experience of other American sports (never done MLS) that's the weird ticket resale system that have

I saw LeBron play for the Cavs Vs the Lakers in LA and I couldn't buy tickets off the Lakers themselves I had to use a resale site and theres literally thousands of tickets available all at different prices, cost £200 for the back row, the night before the clippers played someone and similar seats were £8

Makes no sense how they do it and thankfully there was a push on it a few years back but the PL seems to have resisted it (not sure Liverpool and utd fans would say the same) 

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Wait, if Messi moving to the MLS (and being on less money) is "that last payday"... what exactly is Ronaldo doing in Saudi?

He's an insufferable dickhead on the pitch, though.  However great he may be.

Some hate Bellingham, Hamilton etc. VT is known to be of a hater with the rockstars.

And for me personally there's just no joy in watching Ronaldo, even when he scores its just so cold, don't think I've ever watched with a smile on my face, definitely not while playing for Portugal, **** hate them cheating words removed, they're the man utd of international football for me, can't stand them 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Some hate Bellingham, Hamilton etc. VT is known to be of a hater with the rockstars.

I have a good friend who went to school with Ashley Young and Lewis Hamilton.

He says Ashley Young was a lovely guy, really friendly.  Hamilton was a clearing in the woods :D 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

And for me personally there's just no joy in watching Ronaldo, even when he scores its just so cold, don't think I've ever watched with a smile on my face, definitely not while playing for Portugal, **** hate them cheating words removed, they're the man utd of international football for me, can't stand them 

Ronaldo, Fernandes and Pepe in one side 😐 

Just now, jjaacckk91 said:

Genuine question, is this one of the most boring euros in recent memory. 

After the first round of games if feels like there's been such a void of good attacking football.

Not for me - games have generally been good.  England vs Slovakia, Spain vs Georgia and Portugal vs Slovenia are all mismatches (although I think Georgia have been great to watch) so more likely to be dull; plus one game had England in.  Didn't see France vs Belgium, but both sides have been poor from what I have seen of them.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jjaacckk91 said:

After the first round of games if feels like there's been such a void of good attacking football.

It started well as you said but the final group games were very dull with only the last minute Italy winner a shock/surprise.

The knockout games so far have been mediocre. Spain were fun to watch but it was a stroll for them against the plucky Georgians.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Nothing will ever top the 2000 Euros in Belgium & Holland. But tbf that's not really recent memory anymore is it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

International football has been dying for a long time. They are adding more teams in next time as well, so even more attack vs low block games. Boring.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

A lot of the games in this Euro tournament have been pants. I genuinely wonder if a lot of the players are just knackered after playing a full season. Only a few real top quality games. 

Yep. And also the 24 team set up. Though in fairness some of the smaller sides have done well like Austria and Georgia which does justify the expansion I suppose. But the tournament does feel a bit bloated now, but nothing to what the utter mess the world cup will be in 2026.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Nothing will ever top the 2000 Euros in Belgium & Holland. But tbf that's not really recent memory anymore is it.

This 100%. That was the high point. Well apart from England actually finally beating Germany but still failing to get out of the group stage. Which Shearer never seems to mention.

Â