Euro 2024: Round of 16

limpid

38 minutes ago, duke313 said:

3-4-3, whats stopping this team from absolutely smashing the Swiss?

Pickford
Konsa - Stones - Guehi
Trent - Mainoo - Rice - Saka
Foden - Bellingham
Kane

Guehi banned.

Saka hasn't played a club game there for years.

The wingbacks wouldn't be allowed over the halfway line.

Kane, Foden, and Bellingham will all occupy the same space.

No runners past Kane.

Rice is pap, and would drop back to make it 4 CB's every time we break.

No DF's would be allowed to bring it out from the back.

I see a lot of comments today in various places saying "we won, that's all the matters". This is partly true. Better to win like that than play well and lose.

The issue though is that last night wasn't a one off. England have served up 4 terrible performances, you can argue they've got worse game by game. It wasn't like England were flying and just had a bad night and saved themselves. In that case everyone should be jumping up and down as games like that happen in tournament football and you need to sometimes find a way to win. Last night was a culmination of everything that people were afraid of. A system that isn't working, players out of position, lack of changes and it nearly, should have ended their competition. They were an accident waiting to happen and it was 10 seconds away from happening. Everyone in football saw it except one person and the same person thinks the changes worked.

England may well play Switzerland off the park and I hope they do but there has been nothing at all in the last two weeks to think that will happen. If England win, it will likely be a ground out victory like vs Serbia. Of course, people would take that right now but with the personnel England have, they could and should be doing far far more than they are. If they reach the final, barring an off night of whoever they face, its going to take more than some lucky last second overhead to get it done.

Edited by R.Bear

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Bellingham should have grabbed the ball and returned it to the centre spot. Not shushing his critics.

He's been shit all tournament, like the whole team and they were 10 seconds away from one of the most embarrassing England performances and tournament exits of all-time. It was not a time to settle perceived scores and give it the big one.

Give him a break man, he’s 21 years old and scored one of the most memorable goals of watching England in my life. 

Guarantee if he was a villa player people’s opinion on here would be different 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He's still got a burst of speed but he was 30 seconds away from international retirement.

Legs looked heavy, couldn't get on the overlap, slow on the turn to face his own goal, and his touch and technique was diabolical. Man looked severely tired. He's just about cooked and absolutely can't start another 

That was his worst game to be fair. Maybe we go to a back three with Trent at right wing back Saka left wing back and Walker plays right center back Konsa left centre back. That way ge wouldn't have to ve ture forward too much . 

Southgoat will have his own ideas though.

I am joking about the name too lol

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

3-4-3, whats stopping this team from absolutely smashing the Swiss?

Pickford
Konsa - Stones - Guehi
Trent - Mainoo - Rice - Saka
Foden - Bellingham
Kane

Yes except Guehi is suspended but thsts the way I wouid go. As long as Saka bombs forward I can see us exposing  Switzerland in wide areas with that team.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I find the refs started well but have got pickier as tournament went on

It does seem like they've been given a directive to be more strict. The England game yesterday had that early flurry of cards, this game has had Griezmann booked for a nothingy tackle where he barely touched Doku, Tchoumeni booked for dissent when he wasn't even aggressive and Rabiot got given one which was the closest to a 'real' booking of the lot.

Â