Euro 2024: Round of 16

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

limpid

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Italy were shite in the last final against us. We let 39 year old Chellini run the show, they didn't do much else. It was ours to lose, an we gave it to them

Their midfield unit back then was way better than it is now. Jorginho had just played a major role in Chelsea winning the CL a few weeks before. Veratti also in there but now in semi retirement in Saudi.

Chiesa also much better in 2021 than he is now, probably as good in that tournament as Nico Williams is in this one. Never been the same force since his ACL which is why I don't think he'd be a game changing signing for us like many still believe on the transfer thread.

2-0.

• Like 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

And he's gone. I feel like I just watched the equivalent of England playing Alex Oxlade Chamberlain in a knockout game. Maybe even Welbeck.

Ross Barkley getting recalled and starting for England is apt equivilant.

I genuinely thought El Shawaray was about 36 or 37, sure he was playing for them in late 2000s with all of Pepe, Luca Toni, Quagliarella.

it feels bizarre they're still wheeling out likes of Darmian and El Shawaary, but ditched Immobile, who may be past it too, but at least has some history of scoring goals. They seem particularly lacking in strikers if Scamacca is the best they have

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Suffice to say I don't think many of this Italy side will write their names in the book of Italian greats when you look back in 20, 30 years.

A few like Chiesa and Barella can at least look back on last Euros. Donnarumma looks the only top class player they have now. Spalletti will be gone by morning I expect.

Edited by switters

Â