Euro 2024: Round of 16

limpid

Offside is a simple rule, that in the search to try and make a simple human eye judgement into a definitive truth, has been made so complicated that it also has completely broken the point of it in the first place.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

But offside is offside, no? You can make it “daylight”, but there’s a point where it’ll be a toe over “daylight”. 

Offside yes

But i just don't like it. Every decision forensically analysed. May as well get CSI in next season.

1 minute ago, calcifer said:

Offside yes

But i just don't like it. Every decision forensically analysed. May as well get CSI in next season.

But what they do here is great 

They have to have this in the PL

Sure I saw somewhere they've **** it up and it's not coming until mid October or something daft, it existed at the world cup 

Let us all start now, to conjure up Thor & some other weather god types, for July 14th, so that Robot Mannschaft (scared of thunderstorms) will leave the field of play & surrender victory to The Mighty England.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Offside is a simple rule, that in the search to try and make a simple human eye judgement into a definitive truth, has been made so complicated that it also has completely broken the point of it in the first place.

I don't understand what you are saying.

An offside is an offside. It's simple.

The only think that changes is the technology to measure it. 

Just now, UpTheVilla26 said:

2nd time in this Euros our amazing refs and VAR officials have been a joke. 

Best League in the world apparently with the worst officials. 

They're part of the entertainment 

And entertainment sells, fans can moan all they like but the PL has no reason to make them better, they're part of the product  

That's my conspiracy theory but you'll do well to convince me I'm wrong, the PL knows what PGMOL are but it's against their interests to fix them

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

But it's not offside if they're not interfering with play with not interfering deemed to be a bloke holding hands with the keeper 

Or it's not offside if it's a different phase of play with phases of play being split by less than a second 

They've absolutely **** it 

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Offside was a rule intended to be judged by the human eye, essentially meaning the rule is about the spirit of the rule rather than making offside into some kind of objective fact. The rule isn't there to prevent goals by completely imperceptible margins that in reality don't make any difference, it's there to stop blatant advantage taking. 

Because we've decided to try to make it into an objective 'fact' by pointlessly small margins, we've changed the rule to the extent it's become a letter of the law rather than spirit of the law rule, so we get absurd situations like we've had tonight where a goal is ruled out for an imperceptibly small infringement that doesn't actually impact anything in reality, but then we'll have debates over whether someone who is obviously offside actually is because of 'phases of play' or whether they're active or not. 

The rule isn't meant to be like this. It's got an inbuilt fuzziness, an inbuilt margin of error through being human judgement, and essentially boiled down to don't take the piss. Now we're ruling goals out for things that don't change anything.

• Like 1

Â