Conor Gallagher

5 hours ago, JPAngel said:

Just for fun, seeing as we're speaking about Dougie's replacement. I've added a mystery third player who may have just signed for us...

image.thumb.png.d28118bc730f56210d8c566a7b72e4c0.png

Yeah but how are we supposed to decide that he's shit despite the stats if we don't know who he is? 🙄

If it's Rostinio Barkliachetta of Genoa he's some coup.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

The last I heard from Ornstein (arguably the best source) was that we'd met with Chelsea and Gallagher and if so, I don't think things get that far without solid interest from both player and buyer. I could be wrong. I just don't buy these stories that players don't want to move to Birmingham etc. Absolute nonsense.

Pretty much spot on. Nobody really knows who Villa are going to sign until it happens. Just media speculation.

I honestly feel a quality DM and quality replacement for Luiz will come in. Whether that is Gallagher to fill one of those positions I do hope he signs for Villa.

Presently Villa lack the quality needed in midfield to be competitive in the CL.

Edited by striker

4 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

It’s not necessarily the player we sign but the player Emery moulds them into is the crucial factor. No? 

Emery is a wizard, but he's not changing players' skillsets. He fits what they already have into our system and maximises their effectiven. He's not going to turn Gallagher into Pirlo though, or even Douglas Luiz as it were 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I am baffled why people seem to dislike him so much. Is it because he's English ? 

I think its because he's not a particularly good passer which is a downgrade from Doug. He's more of a McGinn clone and I don't know if we want two "workers" in midfield. But I do think Emery would like that. He would be a good signing for me, but we should not have to pay £50m for a player with 12 months left on his deal. Only United are stupid enough to do that, how did that work out?

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think its because he's not a particularly good passer which is a downgrade from Doug. 

But why does that matter? Doug is already replaced by Tielemans and Barkley. What has Gallagher got to do with a different role in the team? 

15 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He's more of a McGinn clone and I don't know if we want two "workers" in midfield. But I do think Emery would like that. 

Exactly this, he's there for a pressing physical game.

To be kind to us all we're all complete **** morons when it comes to football when comparing to Emery. If he wants to build a pressing game Gallagher is peerless at that. 

What too many people always seems to think is the way we played last season is how we will play next season. Despite the evidence to the contrary.

Who saw the attacking game we unleashed last season? How Pau was signed to be the key man in that attacking game?

Emery is one step ahead of his rival coach and many steps ahead of us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Emery is also talking about being competitive in the CL, not just there for a night out. To my mind this means a change in team philosophy where we are defending deeper with a lot of pressure on the ball against the CL teams that are likely to be much better passing teams than us. I think we will play like his Seville/Villareal teams next season in the CL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

But why does that matter? Doug is already replaced by Tielemans and Barkley. What has Gallagher got to do with a different role in the team? 

Exactly this, he's there for a pressing physical game.

To be kind to us all we're all complete **** morons when it comes to football when comparing to Emery. If he wants to build a pressing game Gallagher is peerless at that. 

What too many people always seems to think is the way we played last season is how we will play next season. Despite the evidence to the contrary.

Who saw the attacking game we unleashed last season? How Pau was signed to be the key man in that attacking game?

We won't be conceding 61 goals this coming season, for sure, and that has to be reflective in the way we play.

Unai, will be well on it, so expect some changes in the way we play, moving forward.

36 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Think I'm with Alan here. Don't even know what it is about this potential transfer. Just don't want it to happen.

I'm not feeling it, tbf. Stats are what they are, but my eyes tell me he isn't what we need.  Alan McNally also gives Smith - Rowe his approval, which I kind of agree with. I think there's a lot of untapped potential with SR, more that there is with Gallagher imo.

On 03/07/2024 at 23:28, jacketspuds said:

One thing that would excite me about signing Gallagher is having his high pressing game in midfield along with Watkins pressing from the front. We could really suffocate a lot of teams.

You need more than 2 players pressing otherwise it’s counterproductive, you need the whole team set up to play that way to do it effectively and I can’t see how or why we would implement it having spent the last 18+ months developing a possession based style 

• Like 1

Those McInally comments might be rather awkward if he still does some corporate speaking next season and Gallagher eventually signs 😂

Fwiw, I think Gallagher is a good player. He's a touch overrated because he plays for Chelsea, but he's also hampered playing for England because of the system/manager. Im not sure he'd be my top target for the midfield set up we've had, but if we're looking for more dynamism and physicality then he's a good choice.

He was the best player on the pitch when we played Chelsea at Villa Park (apart from possibly Madueke)

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Those McInally comments might be rather awkward if he still does some corporate speaking next season and Gallagher eventually signs 😂

I’ve met McInally a few times and I don’t think he’d find it awkward expressing his views of any player to their face, let alone at an after-dinner talk 

• Haha 2

Â