Conor Gallagher

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

You're slightly putting words in my mouth calling it half-arsed. I didn't say that. He's a professional but he's also a human being. You'll give more for your team. Not 50% more.

Anyway, I don't want him for that money. But I'll support him if he turns up. The usual. Yadda yadda.

I just don't agree with the belief a player plays better for the club he supports. I think players play best when they play to what their coach wants and not to impress supporters. Often a player is asked to play a role which isn't to his strengths but helps the team. The player then appears to not be playing as well in eyes of supporters. This is more difficult for a player who cares about impressing their own supporters. 

Anyway as you say. If Emery wants to buy him we'll support him regardless 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 3

Dougie’s no longer our player and Gallagher is not signing and/or not interested (50m is excessive for a player on an expiring contract too). Likely to sign a new and more lucrative deal at the club he loves - Chelsea.

Maybe it’s time to move on…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Dougie’s no longer our player and Gallagher is not signing and/or not interested (50m is excessive for a player on an expiring contract too). Likely to sign a new and more lucrative deal at the club he loves - Chelsea.

Let's list our top 3 alternatives to Gallagher. You go first!

12 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Let's list our top 3 alternatives to Gallagher. You go first!

😬

I’m more interested in Luiz replacements or alternatives (a conductor/orchestrator of the team), that brings similar creativity and delivery… and I struggle to think of names. I’ve regularly said that it won’t be easy to replace his qualities or contribution, but I don’t have the requisite knowledge either.

Most of the suggestions haven’t fitted the bill or are too different imo… certainly don’t see this guy as that - would be more of a replacement for or alternative to McGinn.

Over to you 😆 and maybe we take it over to the transfer window thread.

Don’t see why this is active when it doesn’t appear likely and is old news.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

How do you know he's not signing or interested?

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

How do you know he's not signing or interested?

I don’t know personally (seems unlikely) but all of the recent reports are stating either:

he’s not interested or

he doesn’t want to leave Chelsea or

doesn’t want to move to the Midlands or

is likely to get a new deal at Chelsea

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Why do you think that?

I should amend my post to say that if we replace Luiz with Gallagher while retaining our style of play, it'll be a long season. We'll be forgoing the control we aim to have on games by letting go of the player most adept at keeping it, in favour of a player who is nowhere near as good at that.

It's like when Gerrard used to drop Luiz in favour of having McGinn and Ramsey wear themselves out running up and down covering for Cash and Digne and averaging like 11 passes per game or something and leaving Kamara alone to be midfield superman. Now if we're still signing another midfielder in the Luiz mould, then Gallagher would be a fantastic signing (although £50m is still kind of steep).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JPAngel said:

I might be wrong but, aren't these two charts comparing against different groups of players? One is "vs. Midfielders", the other says "vs. Midfielders" as well as "vs. Att Mid/Wingers".

That's just for the percentile column

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Don't you think it's simply having a proper defensive midfielder? If we had a high quality replacement for Kamara , Luiz might have continued at a high level. 

I don't doubt that combination could have continued, but maybe Emery is looking for someone that isn't so reliant at having a specific midfielder next to him.

My point was really that if we had to sell a player for PSR, I can understand why it was Luiz as we could in theory be getting more than he's worth.

Again, I'd have preferred to keep him. This discussion may have given the impression I don't like Luiz. That's not the case, i really liked him and thought at times last season he was excellent.

I just think maybe his ability has been inflated by his midfield partner, and I'm surprised people are so negative about Gallagher when I think he's a very good player

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t know personally (seems unlikely) but all of the recent reports are stating either:

he’s not interested or

he doesn’t want to leave Chelsea or

doesn’t want to move to the Midlands or

is likely to get a new deal at Chelsea

The last I heard from Ornstein (arguably the best source) was that we'd met with Chelsea and Gallagher and if so, I don't think things get that far without solid interest from both player and buyer. I could be wrong. I just don't buy these stories that players don't want to move to Birmingham etc. Absolute nonsense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I’m very confused this thread isn’t in Other Football tbf. Zero legs in this whatsoever but I keep being drawn to click because multiple page adds suggest there is some news. Then obviously, there is not, because he’s not leaving Chelsea and we probably don’t want to sign him anyway!

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I just don't buy these stories that players don't want to move to Birmingham etc. Absolute nonsense

I don’t think it’s about Birmingham, but loads and loads of players are on record as saying the quality of life for a footballer (or any celeb I guess) is way better in London. It’s about being able to go to Nando’s or whatever and have no-one really blink an eye because in London you see celebs all the time, but in smaller towns they get too much attention. Les Ferdinand talked a lot about that extra pressure on life at Newcastle 30+ years ago and it hasn’t got easier.

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

The last I heard from Ornstein (arguably the best source) was that we'd met with Chelsea and Gallagher and if so, I don't think things get that far without solid interest from both player and buyer. I could be wrong. I just don't buy these stories that players don't want to move to Birmingham etc. Absolute nonsense.

Yeah, I think he knows our interest and wants to concentrate on the euros.  It's what he says and it makes sense.  It also explains the cooling on Duran until we know who wants to go where

Â