Conor Gallagher

4 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Your delusional if you think Gallagher is a better passer than Luiz 

Gallagher makes more passes, completes more passes, makes more progressive passes, creates more chances from passes, gets more assists from passes and gets more Expected Assists assists from passes.

But sure, delusional

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Gallagher makes more passes, completes more passes, makes more progressive passes, creates more chances from passes, gets more assists and gets more Expected Assists. 

But sure, delusional

I'm actually a bit surprised by that. As with the eye test, it wouldn't appear that way (at least not for me).

Still wouldn't have him down to play the Luiz role in our team though, just don't see that at all. 

But could very well be wrong. 

It's possible to argue who is a better player but arguing with stats is a bit daft. I think a lot of people haven't realised just how effective Gallagher is. I thought this way too until recently.

But we're changing as a team and I wouldn't get hung up on Doug vs Gallagher as plug and play replacement. Gallagher does some things better than Doug and vice versa. Maybe Unai sees more value in what Gallagher can offer in this new look team.

I know in the last 3rd of the season Emery was often bollocking Luiz for something. Maybe it was lack of pressing or cutting channels. I don't know. We all love Doug but he's not perfect, and while I'm sad to see him go, he can be replaced and Gallagher can offer a lot towards that. 

Again, Gallagher isn't the only player in the world. If the price isn't right or he's pissing about deciding if he likes Brum, move on. I don't believe that though. Yes he's a Chelsea fan / lifelong player etc but he's also a model pro by all accounts. He'll go where suits his career. 

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm actually a bit surprised by that. As with the eye test, it wouldn't appear that way (at least not for me).

Still wouldn't have him down to play the Luiz role in our team though, just don't see that at all. 

But could very well be wrong. 

I think people, including myself, are influenced by Luiz' performances with Kamara in the team with him.

Kamara's ability to be a proper holding DM really let Luiz off the leash and gave him the freedom to play much further up the pitch and add to his attacking game. Since Kamara has been injured, Luiz' contirbutions there have dropped off.

In fact Luiz' form for us has never been as good as it was without Kamara in the team. I think the Luiz people are remembering has really only been there for a 6 month purple patch

it's the reason I'm actually not THAT disappointed with the Luiz sale. Don't get me wrong, I'd have kept him given the option. But I think Kamara elevated Luiz' performances to another level, and without him as a partner he's nowhere near as effective. If we had to sell a big player for PSR reasons, it makes sense that it was Luiz.

Luiz is much easier replaced than Kamara, imo.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Gallagher makes more passes, completes more passes, makes more progressive passes, creates more chances from passes, gets more assists from passes and gets more Expected Assists assists from passes.

But sure, delusional

Stunned you think this having watched Luiz so much!

Not that you're doing it here, but nothing funnier than twitter tacticos who look at purely numbers and decide who is better. A terrible way to judge players. But you've seen them both a fair bit.

Regardless, not sure what you're seeing to get to this position but I think you're wrong.

Where are you getting progressive passes from?

Firing 1-2s with centre halves and full backs to have a nice high  completed and total figure doesn't make him a better passer.

His composure isn't in the league of Doug either. Playing the ball around our box? No chance I want Gallagher doing that, he's too frantic, and frankly not technically good enough to do it consistently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Stunned you think this having watched Luiz so much!

Not that you're doing it here, but nothing funnier than twitter tacticos who look at purely numbers and decide who is better. A terrible way to judge players. But you've seen them both a fair bit.

Regardless, not sure what you're seeing to get to this position but I think you're wrong.

Where are you getting progressive passes from?

Firing 1-2s with centre halves and full backs to have a nice high  completed and total figure doesn't make him a better passer.

His composure isn't in the league of Doug either. Playing the ball around our box? No chance I want Gallagher doing that, he's too frantic, and frankly not technically good enough to do it consistently.

All the stats have come from FBRef

And you're right, judging players just on stats is nonsense and I wouldn't do that. I'm just using stats in this case to counter the argument that it would be "delusional" to think Gallagher is a better passer than Luiz. Otherwise it just becomes "nu uh!" "yuh huh!"

I think in terms of vision, as in who is more likely to make a brilliant incisive pass, Luiz is better. but apart from that I think gallagher trumps him in passing. I don't know where this frantic, non technical opinion of Gallagher comes from. it's completely the opposite to how he plays. 

he's a very good passer of the ball, he creates plenty of chances and sets up a good amount of goals. And the stats back that up.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

He's a professional. If he chose to join us he would be dedicated to his job. He's a leader and a professional footballer. It's kind of insulting to imply because he's not at Chelsea he'll half arse it.

You're slightly putting words in my mouth calling it half-arsed. I didn't say that. He's a professional but he's also a human being. You'll give more for your team. Not 50% more.

Anyway, I don't want him for that money. But I'll support him if he turns up. The usual. Yadda yadda.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You can't judge a player by the performance of the team. 

Of all fans Aston Villa fans should know this better than anyone. Our entire squad was described as useless and needing to be sold under Gerrard and the all hailed as heros after 12 months under a proper coach and system. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

All the stats have come from FBRef

They are much closer than I'd have thought on there yep. Doug does seem to shade most of them though, not the other way.

Anyway, I agree on selling Doug. It's a real shame, but it's not a team killer. He was so off it in 2024.

It's the quality of the deal that's niggles and will do until we see we've actually acquired two first team players here, not two players who aren't going to add to the match day squad.

I don't see a position in the team for Gallagher. His best attributes would be wasted here IMO.

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think people, including myself, are influenced by Luiz' performances with Kamara in the team with him.

Kamara's ability to be a proper holding DM really let Luiz off the leash and gave him the freedom to play much further up the pitch and add to his attacking game. Since Kamara has been injured, Luiz' contirbutions there have dropped off.

In fact Luiz' form for us has never been as good as it was without Kamara in the team. I think the Luiz people are remembering has really only been there for a 6 month purple patch

it's the reason I'm actually not THAT disappointed with the Luiz sale. Don't get me wrong, I'd have kept him given the option. But I think Kamara elevated Luiz' performances to another level, and without him as a partner he's nowhere near as effective. If we had to sell a big player for PSR reasons, it makes sense that it was Luiz.

Luiz is much easier replaced than Kamara, imo.

Don't you think it's simply having a proper defensive midfielder? If we had a high quality replacement for Kamara , Luiz might have continued at a high level. 

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

IMG-0413.jpgIMG-0412.jpg

one of these is Doug’s and the other is Gallagher’s

Which one looks the best here? 

I might be wrong but, aren't these two charts comparing against different groups of players? One is "vs. Midfielders", the other says "vs. Midfielders" as well as "vs. Att Mid/Wingers".

Â