Conor Gallagher

He walks into our team as it stands and would become a fans' favorite before long, can guaranteed if he signed within a month or so this thead would be full of comments such as 'he's a lot better on the ball than I thought', 'he does more than just run around', 'he adds real drive to the team', 'he recovers the ball back so well I, just what we needed - no more does Emery need to make sleeping gestures to the midfield as if to say wake up!', 'he's a real goal threat in and around the box', 'where are those clown comics comparing him to Robbie Savage', 'No wonder Pochettino and Emery love him', 'I should have known he would be this good, it's not for nothing he's been one of the standout players each season for whichever team he's been playing for, since he started playing senior football'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Both him and Palmer were good in a very average team. Chelsea only ever looked good in the last 10 weeks of the season when every other club had injuries and were tired.

It’s a false narrative.

He’s limited as a player, the classic energizer bunny and only worth £25-30m as worst.

His England displays have highlighted his worst attributes. 

This is complete nonsense. Chelsea were really starting to play once Poc started to influence the team. Chelsea ran Villa ragged at Villa Park with Gallagher the outstanding player on the pitch.

His goal showed just how technically good he really is. Imo better than Luiz physically and would give Villa a real boost in midfield!

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I don't think he improves our best 11. And for a supposed £50m that's not good enough. Plus, he's a massive Chelsea fan. He will play better for them than he ever will for us. Made worse by being a reluctant sale. I think this has nearly all the hallmarks of being money wasted, when you think of what else it could buy.

He's a professional. If he chose to join us he would be dedicated to his job. He's a leader and a professional footballer. It's kind of insulting to imply because he's not at Chelsea he'll half arse it.

Maatsen wanted to join Dortmund but ended up here. They're professional footballers they know this is how the game works. 

Gallagher is a quality player and if we are implementing a pressing game he's elite at that. 

59 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

See I find it equally bizarre that people want to judge him a great player on PL form when Chelsea have been abject for 18 months then had a few good weeks. August 2022 to this last Christmas they were appalling. I did like him at Palace but I think he’s stagnated.

I think the truth is probably value. He has as much potential as John McGinn did at this age, and at £2.5m I think people would snap him up. Obviously McGinn was a bargain, I am not suggesting Gallagher is a £2.5m player. But where’s the real price is people’s question.

For me it’s slightly different - I don’t think he has the close control to play in an Emery midfield playing through the lines (would have been great in a Dean Smith midfield though! So for plenty of clubs would be a good player) but I’ve said that before on here so I won’t go over it.

You can't judge a player by the performance of the team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I think he's a good player and would be a good rotation option for McGinn. Would probably be viewed as a long term replacement for McGinn if we did sign him.

I've always found Gallagher to be a little underwhelming on the ball, but he offers great energy off it.

Rotation for McGinn!! 😂 And I got slaughtered on here for my opinion on Luiz which was proven right by his sale. 😂

There are some real clowns who post on here after ready their comics. Love it. 😂

Edited by striker

50 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No one has been able to answer what he's good at.

Because it's running around and they don't want to say.

He's a good PL midfielder. Technically adequate, physically very good.

I've said several times. His mobility, tacking, closing down passing lanes (which we suffer from in our 3rd), interceptions and recoveries, passing, brilliant fitness / injury record, leadership, and I guess he's proven in this league.

I think he’s played well wherever he has been during his career.

Is that enough for the £50m quoted?

I don’t know…. but I do know I like his “type” of player.

I won’t go away from Villa Park thinking “Gallagher didn’t put a shift in today” I like that it’s worth a lot imo.

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Rotation for McGinn!! 😂 And I got slaughtered on here for my opinion on Luiz which was proven right by his sale. 😂

There are some real clowns who post on here after ready their comics. Love it. 😂

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No one has been able to answer what he's good at.

Because it's running around and they don't want to say.

He's a good PL midfielder. Technically adequate, physically very good.

Over the past year, vs Douglas Luiz per 90 mins, he has

Same number of Non penalty goals
A higher non penalty xG
More shots
More assists
More expected assists
More passes
Higher pass completion
Around the same progressive passes and carries (Luiz slightly higher)
More touches in the penalty area
More tackles
More interceptions
More blocks
More clearances

There's actually very few things Luiz does better than Gallagher. Statistically

But sure, he just runs around a lot

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, useless said:

He walks into our team as it stands and would become a fans' favorite before long, can guaranteed if he signed within a month or so this thead would be full of comments such as 'he's a lot better on the ball than I thought', 'he does more than just run around', 'he adds real drive to the team', 'he recovers the ball back so well I, just what we needed - no more does Emery need to make sleeping gestures to the midfield as if to say wake up!', 'he's a real goal threat in and around the box', 'where are those clown comics comparing him to Robbie Savage', 'No wonder Pochettino and Emery love him', 'I should have known he would be this good, it's not for nothing he's been one of the standout players each season for whichever team he's been playing for, since he started playing senior football'

His final third game is what concerns me the most apart from scoring the odd goal here and there he doesn’t give me much confidence 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Over the past year, vs Douglas Luiz, he has

Same number of Non penalty goals per 90 mins
A higher non penalty xG
More shots per 90
More assists per 90
More expected assists per 90
More passes
Higher pass completion
Around the same progressive passes and carries per 90
More tackles per 90
More interceptions per 90
More blocks
More clearances

Stats just stats look at who has the more crispier passing and silky ball control and clever vision to play split balls through the middle or out wide 

• Like 1

Just now, RicRic said:

Stats just stats look at who has the more crispier passing and silky ball control and clever vision to play split balls through the middle or out wide 

Gallagher is a better passer. Yeah you're right Luiz probably has silkier ball control. Not sure how much that counts for anything

better vision or not, Gallagher creates more chances than Luiz

When Palace played him further forward as an attacking midfielder he scored eight league goals and provided three assists, he scored five goals last season and assisted another seven in the league, and he would be playing as either a CM or wide midfielder for us, so those kind of contributions would be fine

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I've said several times. His mobility, tacking, closing down passing lanes (which we suffer from in our 3rd), interceptions and recoveries, passing, brilliant fitness / injury record, leadership, and I guess he's proven in this league.

You can have it all apart from passing IMO.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Over the past year, vs Douglas Luiz, he has

Same number of Non penalty goals per 90 mins
A higher non penalty xG
More shots per 90
More assists per 90
More expected assists per 90
More passes
Higher pass completion
Around the same progressive passes and carries per 90
More tackles per 90
More interceptions per 90
More blocks
More clearances

Surprised at some of those for sure.

Obviously, he isn't better at passing or dictating a game like Doug though. We know that.

Would be a strange move to swap them like for like in our XI. Very different players.

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

You can have it all apart from passing IMO.

Surprised at some of those for sure.

Obviously, he isn't better at passing or dictating a game like Doug though. We know that.

Would be a strange move to swap them like for like in our XI. Very different players.

Gallagher is comfortably a better passer imo

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, striker said:

Yes, rotation for McGinn. I'm not sure both McGinn and Gallagher would both get on the pitch for us at the same time. Similar profile players. They're both high energy players. He's not a player who's going to pick up the ball from the back four, turn and make something happen like a Luiz is. That isn't Gallagher's game at all from what i've seen from him. 

He's at his best when he's playing kinda box to box and pressing the opposition, which is fine, that's McGinn's role in our team. 

Also, the sale of Luiz proves nothing about your opinion of him. 

Bit weird but okay I guess? 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, striker said:

And I got slaughtered on here for my opinion on Luiz which was proven right by his sale. 😂

Can you please stop peddling this absolute nonsense? Every single piece of information we've had suggests that Luiz's sale was hugely reluctant, but was necessary only because of a looming PSR deadline and we needed the money. He was one of our major sellable assets that had clubs interested in him. 

If anything, it actually proves the opposite to your view, in that he was hugely desirable because he was so good, and the club knew that we'd be able to sell him for good money quickly. 

Growing tired of you spouting such illogical tripe. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â