Conor Gallagher

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s bizarre. It’s like people are judging him on his England form and not his premier league form. He’s a really good player

Not only is he a really good player, he's a good age so will hold value, he's an England international, he's very experienced and is a leader given how much he has captained Chelsea. 

It's clear Emery is adding physicality and athleticism to the squad this window so we can add in a pressing game and take us to next level. He fits perfectly into such a system and under Emery he can improve again. 

I'm really keen we sign him. Hopefully he chooses us over Spurs when it comes to it. I understand not wanting to leave London because he's from there and family are there. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Both him and Palmer were good in a very average team. Chelsea only ever looked good in the last 10 weeks of the season when every other club had injuries and were tired.

It’s a false narrative.

He’s limited as a player, the classic energizer bunny and only worth £25-30m as worst.

His England displays have highlighted his worst attributes. 

Is that you Tom?

spacer.png

• Haha 1

I think there are some on here really negative about him based on his England performances and not being the most technically gifted midfielder. Then others saying he’d be an amazing signing.

The truth is (in my opinion) it’s in between. He’d certainly improve our midfield as it stands and start for us, but I think that’s because our midfield currently looks weaker than the rest of the team. Gallagher is a downgrade on Luiz, but he’s an upgrade on Barkley (albeit a different type of player) and probably if we’re being totally honest slightly better than our captain and a similar type of player.

I’d welcome him and I like the fact that he’s versatile, young and English, but it wouldn’t be a wow signing for me. Him or Fofana would be decent enough.

I'm not saying he's the only player for the position we need, or even the best, nor would I want us to spend 50m on him. But some of the disregard of his qualities in this thread is ridiculous. It has no bearing on what I see of him and what the stats say anyway.

I know if we signed him, fans would love him. Our defence would appreciate the energy he puts in to closing down channels in front of them, and our attacking players would love the recoveries and counterattack he starts. And he stays fit. He also chips in with goals and assists. He's a relatively complete midfielder, not perfect.

But yeah, sure, if there's a better more suitable player in the offing, great.

• Like 2

I think he's a good player and would be a good rotation option for McGinn. Would probably be viewed as a long term replacement for McGinn if we did sign him.

I've always found Gallagher to be a little underwhelming on the ball, but he offers great energy off it.

Being a bit OTT he feels like (a good version of) one of those guys who you surround with great players and just let him run around doing stuff in a free role off the ball. Not sure we currently have a good enough midfield for that to work and I certainly would not pay £50m for a player like that.

But again I really don't think he's interested in moving here and I don't see Chelsea forcing him out.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s bizarre. It’s like people are judging him on his England form and not his premier league form. He’s a really good player

See I find it equally bizarre that people want to judge him a great player on PL form when Chelsea have been abject for 18 months then had a few good weeks. August 2022 to this last Christmas they were appalling. I did like him at Palace but I think he’s stagnated.

I think the truth is probably value. He has as much potential as John McGinn did at this age, and at £2.5m I think people would snap him up. Obviously McGinn was a bargain, I am not suggesting Gallagher is a £2.5m player. But where’s the real price is people’s question.

For me it’s slightly different - I don’t think he has the close control to play in an Emery midfield playing through the lines (would have been great in a Dean Smith midfield though! So for plenty of clubs would be a good player) but I’ve said that before on here so I won’t go over it.

Edited by Adam2003

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Conor is a great player. I wish people wouldn’t selectively pick on his England form to say no, who has looked good at the Euros under waistcoat?

Ultimately, he won’t be our only target. If it’s true he doesn’t want to leave, I wish him well. Let’s just wait and see. Conor would greatly improve our midfield. If Unai wants him, I trust that. 

Is there anything to suggest he is actually a target?

I think his agent is playing us to get a new contract, happens every summer 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I don't think he improves our best 11. And for a supposed £50m that's not good enough. Plus, he's a massive Chelsea fan. He will play better for them than he ever will for us. Made worse by being a reluctant sale. I think this has nearly all the hallmarks of being money wasted, when you think of what else it could buy.

He would certainly get in our best 11 in my opinion. Our best 11 at present is likely to include Barkley who I think Gallagher is better than. 

Martinez

Cash Konsa Torres Maatsen

McGinn Barkley Tielemans Ramsey/Rogers

Bailey Watkins

That's not a particularly great midfield without Kamara and Luiz. Gallagher would play lot of games here I think.

I do agree from a value perspective he probably isn't worth £50m though and we could probably find someone of a similar level for £30m. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I don't think he improves our best 11. And for a supposed £50m that's not good enough. Plus, he's a massive Chelsea fan. He will play better for them than he ever will for us. Made worse by being a reluctant sale. I think this has nearly all the hallmarks of being money wasted, when you think of what else it could buy.

No one has been able to answer what he's good at.

Because it's running around and they don't want to say.

He's a good PL midfielder. Technically adequate, physically very good.

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

He's a real midfield dynamo and must be a right pain to play against.  I'm not sure that his prospective price and his probable wage package will fit into our current financial plans for this season's PSR demands, but he would be a very positive addition in my opinion.

Like those Kievs? 

Â