Conor Gallagher

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Anyone expecting him to say anything else is missing the point. He won’t. Still hasn’t signed a new deal 

He will want to talk to Maresca and know if he's going to play much or not surely. 

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

These point graph things are strange, they don’t really factor in team orders.  Like does Weston not like a forward pass or is asked to play more conservative to retain position better.

it’s hard to look at these and not think it’s not as black and white (pink and blue) as it seems  

Thank you for saying this. I've said before, and I'll say it again. you can use stats to prove almost ANYTHING in football, likewise most team sports.

A nice graph comparison doesn't mean one play is different to another, particularly when they're in different teams playing different football.

If you don't understand data, don't start dipping into the "progressive dribbles in the first third" numbers, it doesn't matter. It's sold without context.

Strip it back, watch the player for what he is, don't compare a someone's likeliness to pass forward in the final third against someone that decides to pass a player and pass it sideways. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

He will want to talk to Maresca and know if he's going to play much or not surely. 

I'd say he's confident he's going to be playing every week but it comes down to money. Are Chelsea willing to offer him the bumper contract he would get by moving on a Bosman in 12 months time? Probably not. 

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm a bit curious about the role of the chicken here, would you like to explain?

#luckyfoul

1 hour ago, T-Dog said:

Thank you for saying this. I've said before, and I'll say it again. you can use stats to prove almost ANYTHING in football, likewise most team sports.

A nice graph comparison doesn't mean one play is different to another, particularly when they're in different teams playing different football.

If you don't understand data, don't start dipping into the "progressive dribbles in the first third" numbers, it doesn't matter. It's sold without context.

Strip it back, watch the player for what he is, don't compare a someone's likeliness to pass forward in the final third against someone that decides to pass a player and pass it sideways. 

Fully agree with this. And moreover, the stats and graphs very seldom say anything about the off the ball actions, which quite often can be as important.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Fully agree with this. And moreover, the stats and graphs very seldom say anything about the off the ball actions, which quite often can be as important.

I'm glad we share the same opinion.

In the simplest, and I mean, most stripped back way, you know which defender wins the most headers in a season? 

The one playing for the snotters trying to avoid relegation under some meathead manager.

Is he the best defensive header in the league? No, he's had more to defend because his team mate is 4ft tall and the team he plays for doesn't have a midfield.

The new fad of posting (nonsensical, unsupported) data about players is horrendous. 

Team sports don't work like that.

33 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Sounds like he wants to come to the Villa

“I am a Chelsea player right now and just want to focus on England and this tournament..”

C0B66063-19CA-426F-8A11-843F2AACE3BA.gif

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, villa89 said:

I'd say he's confident he's going to be playing every week but it comes down to money. Are Chelsea willing to offer him the bumper contract he would get by moving on a Bosman in 12 months time? Probably not. 

Not really, the reason they want to sell him is they want Caciado, Enzo and Lavia to be the main midfielders and play a possession game like City.

19 hours ago, The_Steve said:

We want more engines in midfield. Both Weston and Conor can get assists, but Conor has more progressive passing forward. It’s also competition for McGinn. Our midfield is very one dimensional if McGinn or Dougie are blowing hot air. That was especially true with Bouba missing. The goal is to give us more bite in the middle too. Both players will chase balls down also. We’ve been way too easy to break down and glide through. The midfield was in need of an overhaul eventually. 

you both make salient points imv.

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Neither are Luiz and Kamara.

I think we're building a different blend - but for me what we don't have yet is a ball player who can set tempo like Luiz does or a defensive midfielder who can tidy and carry like Kamara does. 

It looks like we're adding more of what we have, which will give us good depth in some areas, but some big needs still unfilled.

For what it's worth, I really like Gallagher, I think he's similar to McGinn in a lot of ways and could really help us - but I'm not sure he solves our midfield problems.

I’m sure if Luiz goes a ball player will come in later in the window, someone like Beana 

Â