Conor Gallagher

24 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Depends how close we are to the line. We know we were super close last Season. We don't know how close we are this season

We know we've increased revenue this year but also that we gave salary increases to the squad for qualifying for Europe. We could be over the line for this year, in which case we may not be able to make a purchase before July.

Selling Dougie may be the way we've found to balance the books and be able to buy Gallagher

If you read my post above I meant whether we sign Gallagher in June or July.  If we sign him on the 30th June we would only have to book £27,400 amortisation in this seasons books if he cost £50m.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If you read my post above I meant whether we sign Gallagher in June or July.  If we sign him on the 30th June we would only have to book £27,400 amortisation in this seasons books if he cost £50m.

Are agent and signing fees included in amortization though or are they paid upfront?

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Are agent and signing fees included in amortization though or are they paid upfront?

Yes they are part of ‘preparing the asset for its intended use’ so can be capitalised as part of the intangible asset.

• Like 1

I think we’re absolutely fine to spend beyond this month, once we’re in the new accounting period during which the new commercial revenue and CL prize money can be recognised. In fact I’d be as bold to say I think we’ll spend pretty big, and Unai is just down playing things so as not to invite silly demands from clubs.

But there’s just no avoiding the fact the we have to make the number for this year.  My guess is, we’ll wait to see if the PL agree this new additional limit before the end of the month. In the meantime, provisional deals (like the one with Dougie and Juve) will be put in place as a fail safe in case we have to sell.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

£50m does not get you world class - world class in Mbappe, Haaland, ViniJR, Camavinga, Rodri, DeBruyne etc.

For comparison, Szoboshlai went for £70m to plop. 

£50m gets you a 'Diaby'. And I believe Gallagher would be a more effective addition is short and long term. 

Fair enough it’s a good point.

I’ll re-phrase mine.

If Villa spend £50M I would expect a game changer….someone really special.

Let Chelsea spend huge amounts on normal players because we can’t/wont do it.

I just have a feeling in my gut that i dont think this transfer will happen.

I think chelsea will end up selling one or two others and then they wont need to sell him and he will sign a new deal. 

Hope im wrong but thats my prediction 

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I just have a feeling in my gut that i dont think this transfer will happen.

I think chelsea will end up selling one or two others and then they wont need to sell him and he will sign a new deal. 

Hope im wrong but thats my prediction 

Don't think Poch would have walked if their was any indication he might be kept, selling Gallagher was the reason he left.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Don't think Poch would have walked if their was any indication he might be kept, selling Gallagher was the reason he left.

Good point. Let's hope so because od be delighted with gallagher.  I really feel under emerys coaching he can make him world class

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Good point. Let's hope so because od be delighted with gallagher.  I really feel under emerys coaching he can make him world class

Same, he'd be great under Emery.  I think he'll be forced out weather he wants to go or not, not necessarily to us but somewhere.

What a basket case of a club.  Both him and Mount, academy players being forced out  🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I doubt that he'd leave only over Gallagher. My suspicion is that others want to call all the shots about personnel and that Gallagher is only one example.

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Same, he'd be great under Emery.  I think he'll be forced out weather he wants to go or not, not necessarily to us but somewhere.

What a basket case of a club.  Both him and Mount, academy players being forced out  🤣

We will possibly be doing the same selling players we don't want too as well

Ornstein reckons we're talking to Chelsea AND Gallagher.

Now, there's no guarantees we get him, but if he wasn't interested in coming we'd know by now and not bother meeting with him and Chelsea. It might be quite advanced, this.
Also, why the hell would he not be interested in coming to Villa?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We will possibly be doing the same selling players we don't want too as well

We won’t be selling anyone Emery hasn’t given the okay too. Unlike Chelsea who were not going to give Poch a say.

Posted (edited)
On 04/06/2024 at 14:40, TRO said:

Do you mean Rice and Bellingham?

Obviously not. I mean the scrambling to find someone decent to play *alongside* Rice in midfield. But that isn’t Bellingham - even the FA website/squad announcement lists Bellingham as a forward, because that’s where he plays. No way Southgate would play him in CM (unfortunately in my view, given the other options available behind Kane who could do a great job if Bellingham DID play midfield, but the reality is when we talk about Gallagher in this list his competition is Henderson, Wharton, Mainoo, Phillips etc). Which, again, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t sign him! 

Edit - forgot Trent Alexander-Arnold, who will actually be the one to start in CM I would think.

Edited by Adam2003

12 hours ago, duke313 said:

He didn't leave. He was fired, despite the technicalities that might be used for the ending of the contract. But yes, Gallagher was probably his favorite player not named Palmer.

On topic, up to this season I considered Gallagher to be a terrible player. Dunno what happened, but this past year he seemed to transform into a totally different player. Chelsea's only midfielder with a pulse the entire season, always looked like he gave a damn about what was happening with the club, IMO a very rare sight in that team.

Not crazy about getting him for 50 million, though. That's reportedly the clause for Julián Álvarez, a much much better player...

A good player who would definitely bring something to the squad.

However, i've always got the impression that he is and always will be chelsea this, chelsea that, even when he was at Palace after a good season, yeah im going back to chelsea.

As much as he is a good player he doesnt want to leave Chelsea and now that spurs are linked I think out of the two clubs the london factor will play apart...leaving chelsea.....ok...but leaving london...no chance.

Plus, we have had one good season in years, Spurs unfortunately have had more better seasons than us so he may look at that. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Obviously not. I mean the scrambling to find someone decent to play *alongside* Rice in midfield. But that isn’t Bellingham - even the FA website/squad announcement lists Bellingham as a forward, because that’s where he plays. No way Southgate would play him in CM (unfortunately in my view, given the other options available behind Kane who could do a great job if Bellingham DID play midfield, but the reality is when we talk about Gallagher in this list his competition is Henderson, Wharton, Mainoo, Phillips etc). Which, again, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t sign him! 

Edit - forgot Trent Alexander-Arnold, who will actually be the one to start in CM I would think.

Bellingham, can play anywhere, with equal aplomb.

I think he originally played in midfield, until Real asked him to play forward, due to lack of quality forwards.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

Bellingham, can play anywhere, with equal aplomb.

I think he originally played in midfield, until Real asked him to play forward, due to lack of quality forwards.

Absolutely. But completely irrelevant to the question of whether Gallagher makes it regularly into the England team (because Bellingham doesn’t play CM for England even though, yes, he absolutely could) and that itself is only just relevant to the question of whether Villa should sign Gallagher, so I think we are just going to get further and further off topic if we keep going. Happy to chat about the best use of Bellingham somewhere else!

3 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

A good player who would definitely bring something to the squad.

However, i've always got the impression that he is and always will be chelsea this, chelsea that, even when he was at Palace after a good season, yeah im going back to chelsea.

As much as he is a good player he doesnt want to leave Chelsea and now that spurs are linked I think out of the two clubs the london factor will play apart...leaving chelsea.....ok...but leaving london...no chance.

Plus, we have had one good season in years, Spurs unfortunately have had more better seasons than us so he may look at that. 

He’s a Chelsea fan, so I’m not sure moving to their bitter rivals in Spurs is as guaranteed as you think.  

Â