Conor Gallagher

Well we definitely won't be joining that race unless we sell someone this month also. 

I dont think we need to sell based on the fairly detailed estimated summary of our FFP position by @Czarnikjak (please correct me if I'm wrong), despite some journos articles. But there's no way we sign Gallagher without a decent sized sale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Tottenham have been interested for months, so that's kinda obvious.

I think the point of the article is that they have the funds ready to move before 30th June and Chelsea need to sell by this date. Tottenham think they can get him cheaper due to this. 
Whilst I think we probably do have a genuine interest, I honestly believe that all the stories suddenly coming out over the last 24 hours about our interest are a Chelsea tactic to get Spurs to pay more and faster. We’re not in a position to be completing a big purchase anytime soon.

42 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I like watching players like Gallagher his intensity and tempo are what i like to see in a player.

Instinctively i am drawn to that type of player.

£50M seems like a huge amount and if we spend that much I would be expecting a world class player to land at VP which I'm not sure he is or will ever be.

It's not 2012 anymore

20 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

£50m does not get you world class - world class in Mbappe, Haaland, ViniJR, Camavinga, Rodri, DeBruyne etc.

For comparison, Szoboshlai went for £70m to plop. 

£50m gets you a 'Diaby'. And I believe Gallagher would be a more effective addition is short and long term. 

If you believe City fans, Haaland only cost them £51m.

And, by all accounts Szoboslai has had as much impact at Liverpool as Diaby has with us, started off good then faded in the second half of the season.

28 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

This makes no sense. He is worth a lot of money why wouldn't they offer him a new deal? They know he is sellable. Guarantee if he is still there come September they'll offer him a new contract.

They need sell a youth player for the PSR thing. James is injured every week so Gallagher is next in line

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think the point of the article is that they have the funds ready to move before 30th June and Chelsea need to sell by this date. Tottenham think they can get him cheaper due to this. 

Even Boehly wouldnt take 7 million plus Fraser Forster and Emerson Royal

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

For me, he's worth £30m in the current market.  A £50m player sure, but with one year left and Chelsea desperate to shift him I feel we'd be overpaying to offer anything more. 

Duran has to be worth at least that much too. Signed for 20 (effectively), now with a year in England, and some impressive PL goals under his belt, he has to be worth at least £30m.

We're being had if we have to pay more for Gallagher than we get off then for Duran.

I reckon we'll end up with a £40m buy/sell that keeps us both happy from an FFP perspective this year, and slightly overvalues both players without attracting the suspicious eye of the fair value committee.

He's worth what anyone is willing to pay, and then that has to wet the appetite of the seller....markets are created on that basis.

If you are more desperate to buy, than they are to sell, that hikes the price, if its the other way round, that depresses the price.

I hope I am not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs......just saying.

Just now, TRO said:

He's worth what anyone is willing to pay, and then that has to wet the appetite of the seller....markets are created on that basis.

If you are more desperate to buy, than they are to sell, that hikes the price, if its the other way round, that depresses the price.

I hope I am not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs......just saying.

Indeed you are, but no worries. 

I was just saying what I feel their respective values should be given the circumstance. I weighed in the fact Chelsea do seem to have to sell him this month. And also that we don't need to sell Duran.

I guess the unknowns are how much any other club would want to pay for him, how much we value having Gallagher over having Duran, and a few other factors that would all impact the price. 

But I still think that estimating the unknowns (no other club has loads of cash to offer much more than 40m) that we should be able to extract a near enough parity swap deal.

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

So, in a nutshell; Chelsea need to sell him (ideally) before June? And we, (ideally) would be better buying him in July?

It doesn't really matter that much when we buy from PSR perspective. If we buy him on the 28th of June we only need to amortise 2 days worth of his contract in this accounting period.

But if Chelsea indeed have to sell before end of June (which I'm not 100% certain about) then he will go cheaper in June, therefore it makes more sense to get him in June.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Indeed you are, but no worries. 

I was just saying what I feel their respective values should be given the circumstance. I weighed in the fact Chelsea do seem to have to sell him this month. And also that we don't need to sell Duran.

I guess the unknowns are how much any other club would want to pay for him, how much we value having Gallagher over having Duran, and a few other factors that would all impact the price. 

But I still think that estimating the unknowns (no other club has loads of cash to offer much more than 40m) that we should be able to extract a near enough parity swap deal.

I don't disagree with what people are saying but one other angle just to mull over...  How much would Gallagher be worth if he had lets say 2 or 3 years left on his contract?

If we think he's an 80/90m midfielder then we might as well just get him for the 40-50m it is now as thats a big discount for having 1yr left. (i see him more like 50-60m max)

Personally think the market will pay what it will pay and we'll each disagree with it as it ends up being like a Dutch auction where the price drops slowly over time and if we try to be too cute we may miss out and if Chelsea take the mick then they may get him go for free next year or ave to sell someone else for FFP. Something will have to give by the 30th and I think Levy has shown that he'll wait to th last minute

Edited by _AA_786

4 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

I don't disagree with what people are saying but one other angle just to mull over...  How much would Gallagher be worth if he had lets say 2 or 3 years left on his contract?

If we think he's an 80/90m midfielder then we might as well just get him for the 40-50m it is now as thats a big discount for having 1yr left. (i see him more like 50-60m max)

Personally think the market will pay what it will pay and we'll each disagree with it as it ends up being like a Dutch auction where the price drops slowly over time and if we try to be too cute we may miss out and if Chelsea take the mick then they may get him go for free next year or ave to sell someone else for FFP. Something will have to give by the 30th and I think Levy has shown that he'll wait to th last minute

It's a little crazy that our record signing is still below £40m. Maybe getting close to it if Diaby has met most the clauses in his fee agreement. 

Signing a player with over £60m, for anything below that would be a huge signing for us.

I think he's worth that much, but not sure he's worth that much to us, so getting him cheaper due to a contract situation is us playing the percentages.  He helps our shape, in certain games,  but he's not a missing piece of the puzzle in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I genuinely think he’d turn us down if a fee was agreed. 

Very real possibility that we sell Dougie and don't get in our top target to replace him because we're racing a June 30th deadline for both ourselves and Chelsea and somebody else can offer higher wages still.

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Very real possibility that we sell Dougie and don't get in our top target to replace him because we're racing a June 30th deadline for both ourselves and Chelsea and somebody else can offer higher wages still.

It also doesn’t help that he’ll be on International duties with England so nothing will happen until we get knocked out of the Euros. 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Whilst I think we probably do have a genuine interest, I honestly believe that all the stories suddenly coming out over the last 24 hours about our interest are a Chelsea tactic to get Spurs to pay more and faster. We’re not in a position to be completing a big purchase anytime soon.

Why aren’t we in a position.  Amortisation will only be the number of days left of the financial year so less cost every day and if done in the next couple of weeks will be only a couple hundred thousand.  We then have months to sell other players if we need to do we are in a position to buy a big player.

46 minutes ago, duke313 said:

So, in a nutshell; Chelsea need to sell him (ideally) before June? And we, (ideally) would be better buying him in July?

Makes no difference to us materially

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why aren’t we in a position.  Amortisation will only be the number of days left of the financial year so less cost every day and if done in the next couple of weeks will be only a couple hundred thousand.  We then have months to sell other players if we need to do we are in a position to buy a big player.

Maybe you’re right, just going on what has been said about how we have to address PSR first then build, plus the fact we are not completing the Barkley deal until July.

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Makes no difference to us materially

Depends how close we are to the line. We know we were super close last Season. We don't know how close we are this season

We know we've increased revenue this year but also that we gave salary increases to the squad for qualifying for Europe. We could be over the line for this year, in which case we may not be able to make a purchase before July.

Selling Dougie may be the way we've found to balance the books and be able to buy Gallagher

Â