Conor Gallagher

I like Gallagher but for £50m, I’m not sure he’s that good to be breaking the bank for. He’s a really good all rounder but not known for progressive passing like Luiz so if the plan is to sell Luiz as is unfortunately being reported it’s not a like for like change which to me feels odd considering how pivotal central ball progression is to Emery’s system but I assume he must have a plan.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

He’s only got a year left on his deal, I don’t see them getting £50m at all. 

The need to sell a player before the end of June, don't want to give Gallagher a new contract by the looks of things and its the toughest market in years, they'd be lucky to get £25m for him tops. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

I like Gallagher but for £50m, I’m not sure he’s that good to be breaking the bank for. He’s a really good all rounder but not known for progressive passing like Luiz so if the plan is to sell Luiz as is unfortunately being reported it’s not a like for like change which to me feels odd considering how pivotal central ball progression is to Emery’s system but I assume he must have a plan.

Gallagher doesn't necessarily have to be a direct replacement for every facet of Luiz's game: Ross Barkley's stats for progressive passes are better than Luiz's and his carries are at similar level (neither player is elite in these fields, tbh). 

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

The need to sell a player before the end of June, don't want to give Gallagher a new contract by the looks of things and its the toughest market in years, they'd be lucky to get £25m for him tops. 

Maybe £25-30m plus Duran at best perhaps. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Maybe £25-30m plus Duran at best perhaps. 

If its including Duran then the cash element is more like £15m - £20m absolutely maximum. 

Very few players are worth £50m with one year left on their contract. Especially when there's an element of a forced sale to it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Steero113 said:

If its including Duran then the cash element is more like £15m - £20m absolutely maximum. 

Very few players are worth £50m with one year left on their contract. Especially when there's an element of a forced sale to it. 

That would seem more realistic. Especially with the 1 June issues impending. One to watch. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

He doesn't even get into our best 11 and for anything north of 40m we need to improve the 11.

As others have said 'best 11' and fixed positions are less of a thing at the very top level of football. Look at Bernardo Silva: Started only 29 PL games and 6 Champions League games last season and played in a bunch of positions (right-side attacker, central attacking midfielder, right sided midfielder, defensive midfielder). I think we're trying to do something similar: Have 5-6 midfielders who can all play 2-3 positions and who we can rotate so they don't burn out from having to start 50+ games every season.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

As others have said 'best 11' and fixed positions are less of a thing at the very top level of football. Look at Bernardo Silva: Started only 29 PL games and 6 Champions League games and played in a bunch of positions (right-side attacker, central attacking midfielder, right sided midfielder, defensive midfielder). I think we're trying to do something similar: Have 5-6 midfielders who can all play 2-3 positions and who we can rotate so they don't burn out from having to start 50+ games every season.

I agree. It’s a squad game. It’s no longer about the XI, with 5 subs too, the bench is much more of a pathway to high amounts of game time also. We have a real gap in quality there. We need rotation and quality. Conor ticks all those boxes. 

Gallagher isn't perfect but he's a very good player with attributes that we really need.

If he were to sign for us he would quickly become an important driving component in our 'engine room', helping to run the legs off opposing midfields.

• Like 2

Just now, villabromsgrove said:

, helping to run the legs off opposing midfields.

We don't usually try and do that though. We play slowly and carefully with the ball.

Swap Duran for Gallagher is a good deal. Start doing £10m+Duran we're getting the shitty end of the stick IMO.

13 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We don't usually try and do that though. We play slowly and carefully with the ball.

Swap Duran for Gallagher is a good deal. Start doing £10m+Duran we're getting the shitty end of the stick IMO.

We do, but we conceded 61 goals. Having someone that is mobile enough coming back, or mobile enough to press and reduce the time midfielders have to pick out forward runs, will help us concede fewer.

At what cost to our creativity is the potential issue.

I like watching players like Gallagher his intensity and tempo are what i like to see in a player.

Instinctively i am drawn to that type of player.

£50M seems like a huge amount and if we spend that much I would be expecting a world class player to land at VP which I'm not sure he is or will ever be.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I mean he’s a Chelsea fan, not just a Chelsea player.  Much less likely he’d even think of going to Spurs so it’s not just about players moving between the two clubs.

Well if we we’ve had initial talks with Chelsea then I’m assuming we can offer what is required. 

Well people think footballers stay fans when they have professional careers. Maybe Gallagher wants to stay in London? I think it's up to him both Villa and Spurs will offer same financial package if we have bids accepted 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Chelsea dont want to give him a new contract

This makes no sense. He is worth a lot of money why wouldn't they offer him a new deal? They know he is sellable. Guarantee if he is still there come September they'll offer him a new contract.

16 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

£50M seems like a huge amount and if we spend that much I would be expecting a world class player to land at VP which I'm not sure he is or will ever be.

£50m does not get you world class - world class in Mbappe, Haaland, ViniJR, Camavinga, Rodri, DeBruyne etc.

For comparison, Szoboshlai went for £70m to plop. 

£50m gets you a 'Diaby'. And I believe Gallagher would be a more effective addition is short and long term. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Sky are also reporting Athletico Madrid want to sign him too.
not surprised this will be a race.

unfortunately it means we are in a wage bidding war  

Â