Conor Gallagher

6 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Yes, but how many of our our players have established themselves in the starting lineup for their national team? Very few. It's not easy to start regularly for one of the best national teams in the world (which England are), if you are starting regularly in England's midfield you're a £100m+ player.

McGinn is a regular for Scotland but they are a poor national team who have only made one major tournament recently (the last Euros) and didn't even get out the group. Tielemans for Belgium is possibly a starter but was actually dropped from the team earlier on in the season because he wasn't playing for us. Pau Torres didn't even make Spain's provisional squad this summer, Diaby and Digne didn't make France's squad, and Cash didn't even make bloody Poland's squad. Watkins and Konsa got selected for England but are not going to start, yet most on here wouldn't want either sold. 

Of our South American players, Martinez is the only guaranteed starter. Luiz can't even get a start for Brazil in a meaningless friendly, he's behind Guimaeres, Paqueta and probably even Andre in the Brazil manager's warped mind. For the World Cup even that awful Fred was picked over him. Yet his performances for us make him a £70-80m player at least. Duran was recently dropped from Colombia's squad but got himself back in.

Gallagher may not have established himself as a starter for England but he's a pretty important part of the squad who went to the World Cup and hasn't really been out the squad for 2 years. The only reason he wasn't starting was because Cocknose kept selecting Henderson for some bizarre reason, now there is no Henderson I wouldn't be surprised if Gallagher does start at this tournament. If we want to sign a guaranteed starter for England then you'd be looking at Rice and Bellingham and we all know we aren't getting either of them. 

The reason why gallagher is selected is because he plays for chelsea and isn’t exactly terrible, because maguire still gets picked so thats the only logical solution that comes to mind.

Hopefully Spurs sign him or he just stays put at Chelsea.

Posted (edited)

I don't believe this link. If we sign Barkley this makes even less sense.

Monchi certainly wouldn't spend circa 40 million on a player with a year on their contract.

There are also other players that may be of interest. Ian Maatsen for example would be a very good signing. 100% ffp profit for Chelsea too.

Edited by Philosopher

10 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I don't believe this link. If we sign Barkley this makes even less sense.

Monchi certainly wouldn't spend circa 40 million on a player with a year on their contract.

There are also other players that may be of interest. Ian Maatsen for example would be a very good signing. 100% ffp profit for Chelsea too.

I don't think we are in that Market, right now, to sign Gallagher.

However, I do think, we may have one opportunity, to capitalise on champions league status, and we may have to take it.

Next season will be much harder to even match what we have done this season.

It might be a small window, to strike hard.

I don't know enough, about the financial circumstances to muster an informed opinion.

good job, we have smart guys in charge.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think we are in that Market, right now, to sign Gallagher.

However, I do think, we may have one opportunity, to capitalise on champions league status, and we may have to take it.

Next season will be much harder to even match what we have done this season.

It might be a small window, to strike hard.

I don't know enough, about the financial circumstances to muster an informed opinion.

good job, we have smart guys in charge.

I agree with all you have said. But the vibe I get from the way the club are going about things and Emery's recent interviews, staying in the top 4 is the aim next season.

Gallagher has played well for a conference league level side. He has far from proved he is a champions league level player. So 40 million on him I don't see it. 

Maatsen however young left back, doing very well at dortmund. We have two 30 year old left backs as of next season. One on very high wages, makes sense to move on Digne and bring in someone like Maatsen. If we are in contact with Chelsea he makes more sense to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I agree with all you have said. But the vibe I get from the way the club are going about things and Emery's recent interviews, staying in the top 4 is the aim next season.

Gallagher has played well for a conference league level side. He has far from proved he is a champions league level player. So 40 million on him I don't see it. 

Maatsen however young left back, doing very well at dortmund. We have two 30 year old left backs as of next season. One on very high wages, makes sense to move on Digne and bring in someone like Maatsen. If we are in contact with Chelsea he makes more sense to me.

Chelsea didn’t go to Conference because they were 7th, and they weren’t much behind than Spurs (5th which mostly will take you to CL). Add to all of that, that thrir form were top 4 or maybe 3 for the last couple of months (same as us the season before), and he was important in that form.

That doesn’t say he’d be what we need, or worth the money we’d spend, but he’s one of the best in the most improved team in the second half of the seasn. He’s done well in all of his loans.

8 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I have reservations, on the defending of both our left backs, so it could be a good move. The thing for me is, the incomers, must be better than the outgoers.

They are both clocking on in terms of age, so that decision, might be easier. I don't know enough about the player you propose.

14 minutes ago, RicRic said:

The reason why gallagher is selected is because he plays for chelsea and isn’t exactly terrible, because maguire still gets picked so thats the only logical solution that comes to mind.

Hopefully Spurs sign him or he just stays put at Chelsea.

Sterling plays for Chelsea - doesn’t get selected for England (a previous undroppable too).

Madueke plays for Chelsea - doesn’t get selected for England.

Chalobah plays for Chelsea - doesn’t get selected for England.

Chilwell plays for Chelsea - not in England squad. 

Colwill play for Chelsea - not in England squad.

James plays for Chelsea - not in England squad.

If you’d asked me a year ago i would have said he’s in there just because he plays for Chelsea, he was bang average. This season I think he has drastically improved and is in the squad on merit. 

22 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I suggested Maatsen but @nick76 said he’s almost certainly going to sign for Dortmund.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Chelsea didn’t go to Conference because they were 7th, and they weren’t much behind than Spurs (5th which mostly will take you to CL). Add to all of that, that thrir form were top 4 or maybe 3 for the last couple of months (same as us the season before), and he was important in that form.

That doesn’t say he’d be what we need, or worth the money we’d spend, but he’s one of the best in the most improved team in the second half of the seasn. He’s done well in all of his loans.

Their form was good, but their stand out player was Cole Palmer without a doubt. Caicedo was also very good in the run in to. In midfield it was the platform Caicedo provided that made Gallagher look good. Also Gusto, and Curcurella playing as an inverted fullback were also very good. 

Chelsea fans generally love Gallagher, but aren't convinced he's top draw.

In regards to Maatsen I'm not saying we should sign him, but he is someone we should be looking at, as the Left back position is somewhere we can improve, and need a younger player there. But main point is that Chelsea have players that fit in better with our current needs and budget than Gallagher.

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I suggested Maatsen but @nick76 said he’s almost certainly going to sign for Dortmund.

Do they have a buyout clause? If so this makes sense. If not there is no certainty.

10 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Sterling plays for Chelsea - doesn’t get selected for England (a previous undroppable too).

Madueke plays for Chelsea - doesn’t get selected for England.

Chalobah plays for Chelsea - doesn’t get selected for England.

Chilwell plays for Chelsea - not in England squad. 

Colwill play for Chelsea - not in England squad.

James plays for Chelsea - not in England squad.

If you’d asked me a year ago i would have said he’s in there just because he plays for Chelsea, he was bang average. This season I think he has drastically improved and is in the squad on merit. 

Sterling has had a bust up with Southgate.

Colwill has been injured for a while.

James is always injured, and cannot be relied on.

Chilwell is also always injured. And Southgate has never been convinced.

Chalobah and Madueke simply haven't done anywhere near enough by in the England squad. Also Madueke has extremely tough competition in the forward positions.

Bar Chilwell (as I think he has a case) the rest rightly aren't anywhere near England. They're way off it (I rate Colwill but injury prohibited).

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Do they have a buyout clause? If so this makes sense. If not there is no certainty.

No there is no buyout clause as far as I’m aware, just that the loan went well and Dortmund and the player would like to make it permanent.  

But if that move didn’t go through for whatever reason I think we’d be in a great position to pounce.

Just now, Leeroy said:

No there is no buyout clause as far as I’m aware, just that the loan went well and Dortmund and the player would like to make it permanent.  

But if that move didn’t go through for whatever reason I think we’d be in a great position to pounce.

I don't think is so cut and dried.  The pull of the Premier league, the chance to work with Unai, I don't see why we can tempt him!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Sterling has had a bust up with Southgate.

Colwill has been injured for a while.

James is always injured, and cannot be relied on.

Chilwell is also always injured. And Southgate has never been convinced.

Chalobah and Madueke simply haven't done anywhere near enough by in the England squad. Also Madueke has extremely tough competition in the forward positions.

Bar Chilwell (as I think he has a case) the rest rightly aren't anywhere near England. They're way off it (I rate Colwill but injury prohibited).

Hence proving the point that just because you play for Chelsea doesn’t mean you automatically get in the England squad.

You’re more likely to get in regardless of form or playing time if you play for the Manchester clubs given the Phillips and Maguire continued selections (thank god Phillips is finally dropped).

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Hence proving the point that just because you play for Chelsea doesn’t mean you automatically get in the England squad.

You’re more likely to get in regardless of form or playing time if you play for the Manchester clubs given the Phillips and Maguire continued selections (thank god Phillips is finally dropped).

Maguire is a favourite we all know that. The world does. It's embarrassing for both Maguire and Southgate. Phillips would still be there if Mainoo and Wharton hadn't emerged. As otherwise there is a lack of options. 

Southgate is a backwards coach. If I start it'll be a 20000 word thesis!

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Maguire is a favourite we all know that. The world does. It's embarrassing for both Maguire and Southgate. Phillips would still be there if Mainoo and Wharton hadn't emerged. As otherwise there is a lack of options. 

Southgate is a backwards coach. If I start it'll be a 20000 word thesis!

Rightly or wrongly my memory seems to be that Bellingham broke through due to a Phillips injury 

Hed been smashing it for a while at Dortmund but was still on the periphery of the England team until his hand got played 

FWIW I think the only reason Gallagher isn't starting for England is because he can't ignore a 4-2-3-1 any longer, 4-6 years ago big nose would have loved him 

Edited by villa4europe

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

£35m buyout clause

FYI @Leeroy

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I don't think is so cut and dried.  The pull of the Premier league, the chance to work with Unai, I don't see why we can tempt him!

He said he wants to stay in Dortmund definitely, loves it there and the two clubs will be hoping to complete the deal post the CL final.  Dortmund want to try and pay less and/or structure payments slight different to the clause but all parties believe the deal will happen.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

He said he wants to stay in Dortmund definitely, loves it there and the two clubs will be hoping to complete the deal post the CL final.  Dortmund want to try and pay less and/or structure payments slight different to the clause but all parties believe the deal will happen.

Is he in the Dutch squad for the Euros?

Â