Conor Gallagher

17 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Is Gallagher this window's Rashica?

Fishing for reactions I see 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wishywashy said:

If Emery signed him for £40m you'd assume he very much would

Scary that's where we might be as a team, a £40m midfield option for tougher away games

At home Vs Ipswich I don't think he plays, away Vs city a midfield 3 of kamara, luiz and Gallagher sounds alright 

• Like 1

You got to realise though - how much bettee emery can improve him. Look at what he has donw with rodgers already.

Gallagher would be a superb signing for us

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enda said:

He’s an excellent footballer, the captain of a PL team, a full England international entering his prime

I’m not against the signing but I’d say on those points: in PL teams he’s a decent footballer rather than excellent (on a par with McGinn, probably, in our squad - which I mean as a compliment!); he’s not actually the captain of a PL team but admittedly has worn the armband while the captain is injured; and his inability to establish himself in an awful England midfield probably counts against him not for him in my eyes.

But yeah, agree that £40m for him is not a bad signing at all for a decent midfielder with plenty of room to improve.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Is Gallagher this window's Rashica?

Don't tell me Gallagher's stuck in Julie Bailey's basement as well!?

If they really want a top striker, Osimen or whatever he’s called, they ain’t doing that without selling a homegrown player and then some. That bloke will cost them £90m+ and even if it’s not him, a top striker costs you that in this league. It’s how much I’d expect for Watkins anyway. 

Gallagher will go somewhere, just not sure it’s to us.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

All players fit he’s not in the starting 11

People said that about Tielemans this time last year. Why were we signing him when Kamara-Luiz-McGinn was so good in the 22/23 run in.

As the season went on we saw why and Youri was huge for us in the last two months with that midfield masterclass at Arsenal. Also did well for an hour v Liverpool.

So to me same criteria with Gallagher. He was virtual ever present for a Chelsea team who after a poor first half of the season really started to click from Feb onwards.

4 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

He looks shit to ordinary most of the time I watched him play for Chelsea, but must admit he was very good against us in both the fa cup and league game this year.  Plus I genuinely think he is in that England squad becos of the team he plays for, not on merit. Like some here, and prob the boring take of this, if good for Unai than it's good with me.

Bit harsh. He got his first England call up in 2021 when I presume he was at Palace.

Central midfield also a position where it was pretty average up to recently with emergence of Mainoo and Wharton. He's been behind Phillips and Henderson in last 18 months so probably been unlucky not to win more caps in that period.

Can't believe, after what happened at the end of last season, we have people in here talking about how he won't fit out best XI. Who cares, football is such a squad game now, he's either first off the bench or pushes someone else to the bench and makes our XI stronger.

Sign him up, and bring in more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OhioVilla said:

Can't believe, after what happened at the end of last season, we have people in here talking about how he won't fit out best XI. Who cares, football is such a squad game now, he's either first off the bench or pushes someone else to the bench and makes our XI stronger.

Sign him up, and bring in more.

Whilst I understand the sentiment, as fans, we aren’t fully aware of our current PnS situation and the limitations that the club faces to build the squad. 

I think we would all love to sign quality players as back up for our CL campaign but the financial restrictions mean we have to be realistic in our expectations.

I trust the process and I'm happy that we won't sacrifice our future for a moment of glory.

We can't all break the rules remember.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I’m not against the signing but I’d say on those points: in PL teams he’s a decent footballer rather than excellent (on a par with McGinn, probably, in our squad - which I mean as a compliment!); he’s not actually the captain of a PL team but admittedly has worn the armband while the captain is injured; and his inability to establish himself in an awful England midfield probably counts against him not for him in my eyes.

But yeah, agree that £40m for him is not a bad signing at all for a decent midfielder with plenty of room to improve.

Yes, but how many of our our players have established themselves in the starting lineup for their national team? Very few. It's not easy to start regularly for one of the best national teams in the world (which England are), if you are starting regularly in England's midfield you're a £100m+ player.

McGinn is a regular for Scotland but they are a poor national team who have only made one major tournament recently (the last Euros) and didn't even get out the group. Tielemans for Belgium is possibly a starter but was actually dropped from the team earlier on in the season because he wasn't playing for us. Pau Torres didn't even make Spain's provisional squad this summer, Diaby and Digne didn't make France's squad, and Cash didn't even make bloody Poland's squad. Watkins and Konsa got selected for England but are not going to start, yet most on here wouldn't want either sold. 

Of our South American players, Martinez is the only guaranteed starter. Luiz can't even get a start for Brazil in a meaningless friendly, he's behind Guimaeres, Paqueta and probably even Andre in the Brazil manager's warped mind. For the World Cup even that awful Fred was picked over him. Yet his performances for us make him a £70-80m player at least. Duran was recently dropped from Colombia's squad but got himself back in.

Gallagher may not have established himself as a starter for England but he's a pretty important part of the squad who went to the World Cup and hasn't really been out the squad for 2 years. The only reason he wasn't starting was because Cocknose kept selecting Henderson for some bizarre reason, now there is no Henderson I wouldn't be surprised if Gallagher does start at this tournament. If we want to sign a guaranteed starter for England then you'd be looking at Rice and Bellingham and we all know we aren't getting either of them. 

Edited by Leeroy

Good age. English. He's got legs. He can score a goal, he can put a tackle in, he covers the ground. He's a bit scattergun and loose with his passing but I'd break the bank for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Good age. English. He's got legs. He can score a goal, he can put a tackle in, he covers the ground. He's a bit scattergun and loose with his passing but I'd break the bank for him.

And he knows how to use them.

• Like 1

Â