Conor Gallagher

3 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

Am I the only one who is not all that impressed with Gallagher?

He has a great engine, presses well, aggressive.  But struggles with the ball in tight areas, erratic passes, not really a technical player per se.  Frankly I see a younger SJM- but with no backside.  He's not worth $40mil or whatever the asking price is.  Our current starting 11 CMs are better players.  He wouldn't come here to be a squad player.  Would he replace SJM?  Youri?  Luiz?  Kamara?  I just don't see it.  Maybe thats why I'm just a fan!  haha

Preach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

It’s a funny game for perspectives - I think he was way better at Palace than he’s been for Chelsea. I thought he had a lot of potential there and has mostly stalled. It’s not the only indicator but he made his debut for England in 2021 during those Palace days… and he still can’t properly break into a side that is so desperate for any sort of central midfield option that it has used Jordan Henderson while in Saudi Arabia, an OK kid who has come through at the worst Man United side in 30+ years, Kalvin Phillips when he couldn’t get in the City (or West Ham) sides, etc.

Still, I say again, I do think Emery could make him a player - likely a long-term McGinn replacement in terms of role.

He actually player a really different role at Palace, looked more technical and definitely scored more goals.  Interesting to see how his game has changed, certainly become more of a presence and box to box CM.   Fair point about England though, we're short of quality CMs and he still can't get in (I think he might start now though).

4 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

Out of interest, if Gallagher is 40m... how much is Wharton from Palace? Higher or lower?

Wharton's at least double, if not even more. Palace signed him four months ago to start and Gallagher is out of contract next summer (which is partially why he is only 40m)

52 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Wharton's at least double, if not even more. Palace signed him four months ago to start and Gallagher is out of contract next summer (which is partially why he is only 40m)

I get the market is whatever it is with silly prices banded about but it just seems when we've been talking about Gallagher the price hasn't been debated as much. Are his numbers and is his energy / skillset (when having 1yr left) really deemed £40m?

He's a decent player but I have a reservation to helping Chelsea with their FFP troubles. That's that when I thought about other comparables and its equally mad that someone who's played 4 months of PL football after a £20m move is potentially worth £80m as you're saying.

We really need Monchi to be getting the Wharton type profiles before they explode rather than spending £40m once they're in the prem.

9 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

I get the market is whatever it is with silly prices banded about but it just seems when we've been talking about Gallagher the price hasn't been debated as much. Are his numbers and is his energy / skillset (when having 1yr left) really deemed £40m?

He's a decent player but I have a reservation to helping Chelsea with their FFP troubles. That's that when I thought about other comparables and its equally mad that someone who's played 4 months of PL football after a £20m move is potentially worth £80m as you're saying.

We really need Monchi to be getting the Wharton type profiles before they explode rather than spending £40m once they're in the prem.

I think £40m is a fair valuation these days.  I think Mount cost more than that (lol).  Personally I'd rather us try and sign Onana from Everton if we have that kind of money, as he fills the position we are really short of numbers in.

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Is Gallagher this window's Rashica?

spacer.png

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

The thread would need to have 50 to 100 posts a day, last until August and pass 375 pages chocked full of gifs, fish puns, tit puns and cursory references to a "worldie that the player once scored against Bayern" to even come close to that car crash of a saga. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

All players fit he’s not in the starting 11

Your right but all players are never fit especially with the extra games we have next season 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

One can only hope. 

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

He could quite easily be depending on form and fitness and tactics. He's on a par with most of our midfielders in one form or another in my opinion.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

If Emery signed him for £40m you'd assume he very much would

Edited by wishywashy

Posted (edited)

He looks shit to ordinary most of the time I watched him play for Chelsea, but must admit he was very good against us in both the fa cup and league game this year.  Plus I genuinely think he is in that England squad becos of the team he plays for, not on merit. Like some here, and prob the boring take of this, if good for Unai than it's good with me.

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Thanks 1

Â