Conor Gallagher

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

We haven't signed a soul yet.

Are we really so **** v. PSR that a single medium-sized signing would prove difficult for us?

I wouldn't describe it as **** but like the majority of clubs we have to abide by it.

Its like  Doug-o-nomics except this time we have to do it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

I'm saying that the report above claims we're on thin ice with PSR, and I was querying if our first signing of the summer is really going to tip us over the edge with regard to this, particularly if it's a medium sized one.

Journalists have to write articles all summer with very little of any substance actually happening. They know what our accounts state and that it's likely, like with Newcastle last summer we won't be able to spend big. So newspapers will trot out PSR in every story about us all summer. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

No, I know, this wasn't my point though.

I'm not complaining about lack of signings, I'm saying that the report above claims we're on thin ice with PSR, and I was querying if our first signing of the summer is really going to tip us over the edge with regard to this, particularly if it's a medium sized one.

It might well be that our first signing of the summer has to wait for the next accounting period - that we're right up against it until then, but the moment we tick over to the 1st June (?) things become much easier.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It might well be that our first signing of the summer has to wait for the next accounting period - that we're right up against it until then, but the moment we tick over to the 1st June (?) things become much easier.

This was/is my assumption too. 30th June is the end of the accounting year though isnt it? Pretty sure we changed it recently.

7 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

This was/is my assumption too. 30th June is the end of the accounting year though isnt it? Pretty sure we changed it recently.

There we go!

I thought 1st June sounded wrong :)

Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Reminds me of when we took Andy Townsend off their hands. Chelsea fans would really hate it, which is a great plus. He is a really top player, but I would be shocked if this happens, although UE tends to get who he wants. I wouldn't be surprised if Manchester City came in with a bid for him, just because they can and who is really going to try to stop them?:rolleyes:

Gallagher might be good enough to contribute to the Aston Villa squad, I accept that. He’s a million miles off the level needed for City to be interested.

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's like a Rubik Cube, of trying to get signings in the right order to max out the opportunities....I would imagine, getting the free transfers, will be our priority moves.

as an example.....If we get the order wrong, it could mean the difference of say 4 signings instead of 5.......I would also suspect, with so many factors to balance out, it can get quite complex.

I fear the Conor Gallagher rumour will prove too expensive, for our overall plan.

48 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I'm not complaining about lack of signings, I'm saying that the report above claims we're on thin ice with PSR, and I was querying if our first signing of the summer is really going to tip us over the edge with regard to this, particularly if it's a medium sized one.

I think @TRO's Rubik's Cube comment below is your answer there.

45 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Journalists have to write articles all summer with very little of any substance actually happening. They know what our accounts state and that it's likely, like with Newcastle last summer we won't be able to spend big. So newspapers will trot out PSR in every story about us all summer. 

True, but I do think Delaney's trying to offer quality work with Villa (having mostly ignored us last year).

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think it's like a Rubik Cube, of trying to get signings in the right order to max out the opportunities....I would imagine, getting the free transfers, will be our priority moves.

as an example.....If we get the order wrong, it could mean the difference of say 4 signings instead of 5.......I would also suspect, with so many factors to balance out, it can get quite complex.

I fear the Conor Gallagher rumour will prove too expensive, for our overall plan.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e477fsvcq7kl9nkrm2zt5

• Thanks 1

Am I the only one who is not all that impressed with Gallagher?

He has a great engine, presses well, aggressive.  But struggles with the ball in tight areas, erratic passes, not really a technical player per se.  Frankly I see a younger SJM- but with no backside.  He's not worth $40mil or whatever the asking price is.  Our current starting 11 CMs are better players.  He wouldn't come here to be a squad player.  Would he replace SJM?  Youri?  Luiz?  Kamara?  I just don't see it.  Maybe thats why I'm just a fan!  haha

• Like 3

I remember thinking he was a bit overrated at Palace but his game has really improved in the last season or so. Previously I thought he was good for picking up a few goals and obviously great energy etc, but a bit headless with it and games would often pass him by. As he's become more of a presence at Chelsea he's become much more of an all-rounder, can't see it happening but I think he'd be pretty handy if he did.

He's the sort of player that pre-PSR dramas I presumed would move to Newcastle and suit them down to a tee.

• Like 1

My stance has always been that I think Gallagher is a decent player just not a great one. He has various intangibles that add to the appeal but he doesn't seem like someone we need currently so again I wonder if its a lazy link that others then keep regurgitating.

Out of interest, if Gallagher is 40m... how much is Wharton from Palace? Higher or lower?

20 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

My stance has always been that I think Gallagher is a decent player just not a great one. He has various intangibles that add to the appeal but he doesn't seem like someone we need currently so again I wonder if its a lazy link that others then keep regurgitating.

Out of interest, if Gallagher is 40m... how much is Wharton from Palace? Higher or lower?

Higher because younger and higher ceiling.

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

I remember thinking he was a bit overrated at Palace but his game has really improved in the last season or so. Previously I thought he was good for picking up a few goals and obviously great energy etc, but a bit headless with it and games would often pass him by. As he's become more of a presence at Chelsea he's become much more of an all-rounder, can't see it happening but I think he'd be pretty handy if he did.

It’s a funny game for perspectives - I think he was way better at Palace than he’s been for Chelsea. I thought he had a lot of potential there and has mostly stalled. It’s not the only indicator but he made his debut for England in 2021 during those Palace days… and he still can’t properly break into a side that is so desperate for any sort of central midfield option that it has used Jordan Henderson while in Saudi Arabia, an OK kid who has come through at the worst Man United side in 30+ years, Kalvin Phillips when he couldn’t get in the City (or West Ham) sides, etc.

Still, I say again, I do think Emery could make him a player - likely a long-term McGinn replacement in terms of role.

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

It's going to be a summer more trying to move out some of the unwanted fringe players. I think if Coutinho leaves permanently that will free up a decent amount to make a signing so hopefully we'll have some news on that in next few weeks.

Donk aswell but he might leave nearer the end of the window when clubs get desperate as we did in August 2022.

Â