Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

Would be good for the club to have a rethink on this one.  Read the room.  It won’t make them look weak but it’ll certainly build some bridges with fans, media etc. I think they might in the next few days and make a further announcement.  Let’s hope so.

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

This ought to be one of the most enjoyable seasons for Villa fans we've had in the last 40 years, and yet I feel like I've been kicked in the teeth.

I had a season ticket and followed home and away under Ellis and O'Leary. I had a season ticket through McLeish, I went to more home games than not under Lambert and Sherwood.

Xia and Bruce pushed me away, Deano brought me back, and at what should be a momentous season, I'm increasingly pushed back to the mindset of '**** this for a game of soldiers'.

I do blame PSR, FFP, or whatever they're calling their 'pull the ladder up' philosophy, of making any half decent 20 year old a millionaire while milking low and average earners for every penny they can, but it's not all FFP.

We're not a London club. We're not a club for the prawn sandwich brigade. We should have been working to build a sustainable long term plan of more bums on seats, instead of cancelling stadium expansions and bringing in as many whales as we can, while forcing the plebs to slosh through piss.

Heck can do one. I think I'm done.

I couldn't agree more with this and very similar to my own view. After being a STH for 25 out of the last 30 years, including during the championship years I took the decision to knock it on the head and didn't renew this season. Football is not about the fans anymore but about corporate greed. It's just a sad fact that has become more evident each passing season with the clubs squeezing the fans for more and more. 

As I've said in other posts, much of the chat these days is about money and not the game.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Bayern will sell out but Bologna won't.  I know I'm already going to give the latter a miss.

Disagree, think so many people will miss out on the other three due to demand that Bologna will be the consolation game to see us play live in the CL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Would be good for the club to have a rethink on this one.  Read the room.  It won’t make them look weak but it’ll certainly build some bridges with fans, media etc. I think they might in the next few days and make a further announcement.  Let’s hope so.

No chance. They know the games will sell out and the furore will die down once the CL starts. They've also set a precedent so if we do qualify for the CL again they can just keep the same prices and say look we aren't raising prices, aren't we nice. 

Just now, villa89 said:

No chance. They know the games will sell out and the furore will die down once the CL starts. They've also set a precedent so if we do qualify for the CL again they can just keep the same prices and say look we aren't raising prices, aren't we nice. 

I understand but think the negativity with this pricing may just outweigh any enjoyment leading up to the first game now.  We’ll see but just think it would be great PR if they listen and react.

Just now, avfc1982am said:

I couldn't agree more with this and very similar to my own view. After being a STH for 25 out of the last 30 years, including during the championship years I took the decision to knock it on the head and didn't renew this season. Football is not about the fans anymore but about corporate greed. It's just a sad fact that has become more evident each passing season with the clubs squeezing the fans for more and more. 

As I've said in other posts, much of the chat these days is about money and not the game.  

This has all come only three years after the pandemic aswell. Everyone could see how hollow the game was in that 18 month period when matches were being played in empty stadiums and the live experience was greatly diminished. However I did think people were being a bit naive in thinking they'd be a great reset in pricing once fans returned.

What is unforgivable is in a very short period things have become far more exploitative. Genuinely how could you charge 40 + for a league cup third round v Everton last season? About 25k Villa fans turned up on the night and at least that resulted in a rethink for FA cup and the Europa league knock out matches so that is an example of when an poor attendance can cause a rethink.

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Hey Everyone!

Stan is pretending he's a man of the people again despite earning 35k a week here being our record signing and barely lifting a finger for years whilst robbing the club blind.

Get in here!

Stan didn't work out. He also was diagnosed with mental health issues which our club badly mishandled, John Gregory publicly ridiculing him for example.

If that was now it would have been a different outcome.

Any way, his message is on point regardless of everything else.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Hey Everyone!

Stan is pretending he's a man of the people again despite earning 35k a week here being our record signing and barely lifting a finger for years whilst robbing the club blind.

Get in here!

Firstly, He wasnt on 35k/week. Secondly, he was suffering from highly publicised cripling personal issues at the time. But I'm sure you know this already.

57 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

The simple reality is, if Villa Park sells out then he got the CL prices spot on. 

exactly and it will, in fact it would have if the prices were triple figures

Edited by paul514

9 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The reality is that for clubs that want to compete at the top end of the PL football is all about money. You buy success in football and that's been the case for years. If you want a nice fan friendly club then the championship (or lower) is the place for that, you can compete for promotion without needing a ball of money to do it. You can have low ticket prices and you can listen to the fans and what they want. Once you start trying to win things then its all money money money. 

It was up to the FA/PL/UEFA/FIFA to so something about this issue but they don't care and don't see it as an issue. German football is probably the best example of fan power, with low ticket prices and opposition to games being moved for TV. But that league isn't perfect either with the domination of Bayern. Who, you've guessed it, have by far the most money. 

6 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Firstly, He wasnt on 35k/week. Secondly, he was suffering from highly publicised cripling personal issues at the time. But I'm sure you know this already.

Being depressed doesn't give you free reign to bully people and generally be a complete word removed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Being depressed doesn't give you free reign to bully people and generally be a complete word removed.

Let's not forget women beater too. 

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

I can’t see Chris Heck backtracking on this, however I can see NSWE going over his head and fixing this. 

if they do, then it’s game over for Chris Heck. Last time the owners went over an executive’s head and did their job for them was when Gerrard was fired and Emery was hired. Shortly after Purslow and Lange were shown the side door. 

If that was the case for Heck, then so be it. His tenure hasn’t been spectacular so far. Lots of lies, poor communication, pointless boasting and just not reading the room. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

That's not what you said though was it. You said he didnt lift a finger and was robbing the club blind. He spent a few months in rehab for depression.

Also, when did he bully people? If you mean when there was a leaked story that Stan wasnt pulling his weight, he confronted everyone in the dressing room and asked who said it and was right to do so.

Just now, villa4europe said:

unfortunately i think he'll find its necessary to stand still let alone growth...

blame the rules

Not really, most revenue by clubs as a percentage is from non-match tickets