Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

57 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I don't fully understand the logic of some.

I understand being frustrated at the price hikes and obviously we are all struggling to manage finances to some extent in the current climate.

But what exactly do we expect a modern premier league club to do in this scenario? Are people genuinely surprised and enraged at this? Of course they're going to increase prices. We're top four but still not near the top end of most expensive tickets despite having one of the smaller stadia of the top teams. 

I don't get the outrage.

Looks like you’ve completely missed the discussion where it shows these prices are significantly higher than Liverpool, Man City and Newcastle CL prices.  Even the CL final at Wembley had lower end price tickets of £60 as the Athletic reported yesterday plus away fans price is £57 max for all games.

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

But it's opportunistic pricing isn't it as these can be viewed as our biggest games in 40 years. 

Man City know that they're playing Bayern and Juve last season, this season and next season. They wouldn't fill their ground at our prices as theres no novelty to the fixtures for them.

Very true, and this is why they will get away with it.  This year anyway.

But your post kind of proves my point - The tickets aren't worth what they are asking ;  as you say, even Man City wouldn't fill their ground at our prices.

Which proves our fans are being exploited. Opportunistic pricing = taking the fans for a ride.

And some fans won't come back afterwards.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Heck has taken the shine off following villa at a time when things have been glorious on the pitch.

The media reaction to the latest cock up suggests he has got this one badly, badly wrong  and, as I have suspected for a while now, he's going about it badly despite the absolute strenuous efforts of his fanboys here to defend everything he does.

Thats it. This has tainted what should be one of the greatest moments in the club's history.

Champions league after 40+ years, most fans experiencing this for the first time.
The level of anticipation and positivity within the fanbase at an all-time high...people are gagging for these games.

To dampen that spirit for the sake of an extra £4-5 million seems utterly senseless.

I fully understand PSR. But even affording and going to some to a couple of these games now, there will be part of me resenting it and jesus christ thats not how it should be going to a champions league night vrs Bayern and Juve.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

But it's opportunistic pricing isn't it as these can be viewed as our biggest games in 40 years. 

Is that the right thing to do though? For the small cash value relatively worth the backlash.  Yes they’ll ride out the backlash but causes another crack between club and fans.  They were always going to charge more and short term they will sell out but the longer term issue is the concern. I think they misjudged how far they could push the price without backlash.

29 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Have you seen the prices Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal are charging? We unbelievably are more expensive.  It is gouging. 

They have double the capacity and our season tickets are still reasonably priced on comparison to theirs. I don't see the issue.

If it's specifically the Champions League games. For City, Liverpool etc.. a group stage CL game is probably less of a draw to them than a PL game as they see a group stage as essentially irrelevant.

The value of the CL group games to us Vs them is wildly different 

It’s not a crack, it’s a fissure. And it was absolutely a calculated decision that they have got incredibly wrong.

One champions league win with a fully motivated crowd behind them would get them near enough to the extra revenue they’ve tried to gouge. 

• Like 2

At some point can we use this thread to talk about football and not people complaining about how expensive they seem tickets to be? We've the PSR thread now and this with the same stuff

20 minutes ago, richp999 said:

Very true, and this is why they will get away with it.  This year anyway.

But your post kind of proves my point - The tickets aren't worth what they are asking ;  as you say, even Man City wouldn't fill their ground at our prices.

Which proves our fans are being exploited. Opportunistic pricing = taking the fans for a ride.

And some fans won't come back afterwards.  

Of course the tickets aren't worth what they're charging. 

If Oasis were on every month for the next few years, their tickets would be about £40.

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Is that the right thing to do though? For the small cash value relatively worth the backlash.  Yes they’ll ride out the backlash but causes another crack between club and fans.  They were always going to charge more and short term they will sell out but the longer term issue is the concern. I think they misjudged how far they could push the price without backlash.

No I agree it isn't. 

The deteriorating relationship with the fans is really interesting this year. It had been happening, but it's now really clear and aggressive. 

The fans are now almost incidental. The loyal fan doesn't make the club money, compared to the temporary, occasional high ticket paying fan.

It's a really odd atmosphere.

Edited by turvontour

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

They have double the capacity and our season tickets are still reasonably priced on comparison to theirs. I don't see the issue.

If it's specifically the Champions League games. For City, Liverpool etc.. a group stage CL game is probably less of a draw to them than a PL game as they see a group stage as essentially irrelevant.

sorry that’s the most bizarre comment and reasoning I can imagine.   Just can’t engage if that’s your view.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

You'll need to buy a membership too - and given the push to restrict people from buying a membership purely for a specific game in order to stop away fans doing it, you might be best buying that as soon as possible.

Thanks mate, have my membership.

• Like 1

There's a huge amount of negative press around the club now, so I wonder whether this will force their hand and make them reconsider. Being completely honest, I don't think it will. I would imagine that the games will still sell out, which is all that matters from the club's perspective.

Good work Heck - got us some headlines:

Aston Villa have been accused of being “out of touch” and ignoring a request from their fan advisory board to cap Champions League ticket prices on the club’s return to Europe’s elite. Most supporters are faced with paying between £70 and £97 per home game when the competition returns this month, casting a cloud over their meetings with Bayern Munich, Bologna, Juventus and Celtic at Villa Park

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/sep/04/champions-league-aston-villa-ticket-prices-supporters-trust

23 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

They have double the capacity and our season tickets are still reasonably priced on comparison to theirs.

Wrong.

I don't see the issue.

Lie.

So, gouge the fans then. At every turn, rip them off.

That won't be a good move long term.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, turvontour said:

No I agree it isn't. 

The deteriorating relationship with the fans is really interesting this year. It had been happening, but it's now really clear and aggressive. 

The fans are now almost incidental. The loyal fan doesn't make the club money, compared to the temporary, occasional high ticket paying fan.

It's a really odd atmosphere.

The club have appointed a CEO whose remit is to increase revenue as we need to make more money to comply with PSR. It would seem that he is quite cut throat and not liked by a lot of staff at VP. His treatment of the fans is similar, i.e. uncaring regarding their views on ticket locations, GA+, Crests, pricing, etc. He probably has a revenue target in mind and come hell or high water he's going to get it. The damage he does along the way isn't his concern. It's the same when he cancelled the north stand redevelopment, he doesn't care what the fans think. 

At least that's how it seems from the outside looking in. 

• Like 1