Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

6 hours ago, grobs said:

I get that the club must be torn and limited on how they can increase matchday revenue. If we don’t want a new stadium they have to do something to increase match day revenue. Football as we know it died long ago. This will just be a small step further. As other posters have said it won’t be long until season tickets are gone because there so little profit for the club. 

They have already taken season ticket holders out of seats they have held for years to create GA+ We are talking 100s maybe a 1000 seats.

They have increased season ticket and general admission prices for the past few years at nearly 100% of previous prices.

We have Category A games which we are conditioned to but now they have introduced Category Take The Piss.

That's the issue for people we are taken for granted and now is the time to make a stand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, grobs said:

I get that the club must be torn and limited on how they can increase matchday revenue. If we don’t want a new stadium they have to do something to increase match day revenue. Football as we know it died long ago. This will just be a small step further. As other posters have said it won’t be long until season tickets are gone because there so little profit for the club. 

They have already taken season ticket holders out of seats they have held for years to create GA+ We are talking 100s maybe a 1000 seats.

They have increased season ticket and general admission prices for the past few years at nearly 100% of previous prices.

We have Category A games which we are conditioned to but now they have introduced Category Take The Piss.

That's the issue for people we are taken for granted and now is the time to make a stand.

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

I’m coming to England after Christmas and into the new year to hopefully catch a couple of Villa games including Champions League.

Always found it really difficult to get tickets to games when in England, but the current process will make it most likely easier to buy tickets.

I look at the big sports in Australia ie State of Origin and you can pay from $74 up to $280. A lot of musical concerts can be $150 to $300 per ticket.

The Champions League tickets at Villa Park will cost me $200 Australian and for me the opportunity to experience something which is rare and something I will remember.

In the Championship play off game at Wembley I couldn’t buy a ticket from the club so I had to go through the Wembley Stadium to buy a ticket that cost me $680 Australian.

I understand the disappointment of Villa fans in regards to the costs a lot of people are doing it tough all round the world. However there are also a lot of Villa fans around the world who are just as passionate, see getting tickets to these games just a little bit easier and are willing to pay the extra costs for the experience.

I don’t agree with the costs for the CL tickets, it could be a little easier for supporters, especially children. No matter what the club does there is going to be criticism, and apparently this was the best way forward rather than expanding the stadium.

I don’t agree, but it’s what the club have chosen to do, I just hope they don’t lose what makes the club special in the process.

I completely agree with you. You are the target market.

John and his daughter from Hall Green aren't, increasingly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Heck wins

Not really. I'll pay £79 instead of someone paying £94 and he's lost my custom for the rest of the year at least. I say at least because half the reason I go is to spend time with my brother who lives in another city, but we inexplicably no longer sit together in the seats we've held for decades in the lower holte because we've been moved for... reasons unknown (our old seats exist, we're just not allowed them for some reason).

Edited by blunther
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, blunther said:

Not really. I'll pay £79 instead of someone paying £94 and he's lost my custom for the rest of the year at least.

Understood. It's a piss take. But I reckon, in the event of us doing well and with a bit of water under the bridge, that the grudge fades... but then I don't know you and you may just be the most stubborn git in the world and Villa just lost a customer!

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Understood. It's a piss take. But I reckon, in the event of us doing well and with a bit of water under the bridge, that the grudge fades... but then I don't know you and you may just be the most stubborn git in the world and Villa just lost a customer!

Yeah, just edited my post with a little more context: (I say at least because half the reason I go is to spend time with my brother who lives in another city, but we inexplicably no longer sit together in the seats we've held for decades in the lower holte because we've been moved for... reasons unknown (our old seats exist, we're just not allowed them for some reason).

Just one more straw on top of the others, and one of them is gonna break the camel's back pretty soon. Decades of loyalty through utter shite, repaid with being treated like shit on some pissant yank's shoe.

As the accountancy fans are quick to point out, it's not my club anymore.

Edited by blunther
  • Like 2

The prices are insulting, the comparison to other English UCL club’s ticket prices says everything and I find the “fans” (who I assume don’t go to the games and won’t be paying the prices anyway) defending it absolutely absurd. It is not the fans job to stump up for the club’s PSR losses and not least because ripping off fans this way only adds a marginal % increase in revenue vs huge TV / prize money revenues. If you think £2-3m extra revenue a season for ripping off the fans will suddenly make us financially competitive with the likes of Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal perhaps you should reconsider how much you think you know about football finance. 

• Thanks 1

I can only assume that the hierarchy don't believe Villa will be in the competition very long and want to cash in while the going is good.

With very ordinary players now costing £20m you can understand the pressure but price gouging can only alienate the fan-base of the future.

• Like 2

change to the pricing at this stage is highly unlikely, but what would be acceptable do we think?

non season ticket holders, if they made your prices the same as ST holder prices, would you be ok with that? a cat A ticket in my zone is £67.50 for PL and £70 for CL for a season ticket holder...which i'm OK with...it's in line with my expectations anyway

i think a 4 game package could be something they might introduce too.

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

The Champions League tickets at Villa Park will cost me $200 Australian and for me the opportunity to experience something which is rare and something I will remember.

You'll need to buy a membership too - and given the push to restrict people from buying a membership purely for a specific game in order to stop away fans doing it, you might be best buying that as soon as possible.

I don't fully understand the logic of some.

I understand being frustrated at the price hikes and obviously we are all struggling to manage finances to some extent in the current climate.

But what exactly do we expect a modern premier league club to do in this scenario? Are people genuinely surprised and enraged at this? Of course they're going to increase prices. We're top four but still not near the top end of most expensive tickets despite having one of the smaller stadia of the top teams. 

I don't get the outrage.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I don't fully understand the logic of some.

I understand being frustrated at the price hikes and obviously we are all struggling to manage finances to some extent in the current climate.

But what exactly do we expect a modern premier league club to do in this scenario? Are people genuinely surprised and enraged at this? Of course they're going to increase prices. We're top four but still not near the top end of most expensive tickets despite having one of the smaller stadia of the top teams. 

I don't get the outrage.

It's literally like living in a 2 bedroom terrace and wanting to move to a 6 bedroom detached house with a massive garden.

Finally you achieve the dream.

And then you complain how much it costs to upkeep the house. Surprise surprise, it's gonna cost a lot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richp999 said:

So it's going to cost roughly double to watch villa in the champions league than it does to watch man city in a similar fixture. 

How is anyone affording this? 

I think I'm earning decent money, but I can't justify taking the kids and dropping £300 on a football match... 

£300 sounds like a lot? £85 for your ticket, don't know how many kids you have but even if you have 3 then that's' still less than £200 for you all

not meaning to sound like a dick...the prices are expensive and villa are rightly getting called out for it...but seeing a lot of sensationalism around and exaggerations such as "it's going to cost £400 to take my kids to a game!" and if villa are going to take the complaints seriously, it's important to keep things sensible...IMO anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I see the ticket prices have made the BBC football page so bad publicity for the club.

Will be interesting if Villa react and change the prices or, possibly more likely, leave them as they are. 

Nah, nothing will change.

Ultimately, the club know that fans are never really going to waver from their support of Villa.  You can look at almost every facet of "bad" (in my opinion) things that the club have done/are doing and there's still waves of fans who will excuse that behaviour and apply a different moral code to other clubs.  That kind of deep-rooted support doesn't just drop and there'll be plenty of people who don't go to Villa Park that regularly who will see spending £150 or whatever on a one-off match in the CL as an OK deal.  There's no real long-lasting PR issue that will impact sponsors or anyone, so why change it?  Seats will be sold, more money will come in.  Job done for the owners.

My main concern is that the atmosphere gets shat on - last year in the UCL it seemed to be really good, despite the relative weakness of our opponents.  I hope we get an amazing atmosphere in this campaign and I fear that pricing out "regular" fans isn't the way to do this.  The more galling thing is that it's for such little gain.  There's just zero concern about the average fan here and that's utterly shit.

• Like 1

The true blame should be at NSWE more than Heck. Even before he came in prices were going rapidly

Granted the football has massively improved since the 2022 price hike but they were always going up

Killing the future generation of local fans

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

change to the pricing at this stage is highly unlikely, but what would be acceptable do we think?

non season ticket holders, if they made your prices the same as ST holder prices, would you be ok with that? a cat A ticket in my zone is £67.50 for PL and £70 for CL for a season ticket holder...which i'm OK with...it's in line with my expectations anyway

i think a 4 game package could be something they might introduce too.

We shouldn't be charging more than Man City. For a start.

Our ticket prices are going to be roughly the same price as Real Madrid. 

Once we have Mbappe up front and Bellingham in midfield , that'll be fine. 

Until then its like paying double the price for Oasis at Heaton Park, to see Definitely Oasis in the local pub.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

£300 sounds like a lot? £85 for your ticket, don't know how many kids you have but even if you have 3 then that's' still less than £200 for you all

not meaning to sound like a dick...the prices are expensive and villa are rightly getting called out for it...but seeing a lot of sensationalism around and exaggerations such as "it's going to cost £400 to take my kids to a game!" and if villa are going to take the complaints seriously, it's important to keep things sensible...IMO anyway

Are you taking into account travel, food, drink etc?

£85 for an adult ticket, £40 for an adult train fare and, say,  £8 for food, £14 for drink is £150 for that one person.