Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

13 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I get the impression that anyone defending this is someone who never goes to a game, hence it doesn't affect them in the process. Am I wrong? 

You are wrong.

If I go to a game it involves getting up at 5am, going to the airport, paying €80 for a Ryanair to get me to BHX, passing three hours around New Street as the shops are barely opening, a meal and a pint in town, the actual match itself, checking my watch in Witton because I’m hoping to not have to rush back to the airport, a pint and crappy burger at the airport, getting back to my bed at about midnight.

£20 will bite a lot of people in the ass who, after years and years of Tory austerity are just making ends meet but, at the end of the day, the problem is the average squad member is on maybe £75,000 a week and the prices are aimed at him not at the family who will feel the pinch of £20.

21 minutes ago, thabucks said:

But it’s more than a few hundred grand isn’t it come on … we have to make more money it’s blatantly obvious - this is one of many ways 

Fair enough -- need to make money -- but it also seems like a big, blunt sort of obvious money-grab. The revenue-raising equivalent of a human wave attack. That lack of measured change is what worries me.

6UPzVU.gif

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

Fair enough -- need to make money -- but it also seems like a big, blunt sort of obvious money-grab. The revenue-raising equivalent of a human wave attack. That lack of measured change is what worries me.

6UPzVU.gif

Yep. It's as much as the principle of it than the price. 

I just tried to set up a poll to see if fans would rather become a big club in Europe or be able to go to more games at affordable prices.  I couldn't work out how to do it though. 

I think it would be interesting to see how many fans are willing to sacrifice seeing Villa on a regular basis to become one of the big boys.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thabucks said:

But it’s more than a few hundred grand isn’t it come on … we have to make more money it’s blatantly obvious - this is one of many ways 

As OBE says, it amounts to an extra 2.5m. ....the equivalent of a player on 50k a week, which these days is basically squad filler. If we're that desperate to balance the books then either get rid of a couple of such players or don't sign them in the first place. But I don't think it's about that anyway. It's clear to me that their ultimate goal is an American sports type ticketing model that turns Premier League football matches into an ever more exclusive 'experience'. This is only the beginning, it's being taken out of the reach of the everyday person and at best the likes of Heck don't mind that at all.

• Like 1

The simple truth of it is that if Heck actually delivered on improving the match day experience then fans would have happily made up that extra £20 per head on food and beverages without so much as a passing thought. The atmosphere increases as a result and it filters down to the player and the manager. It’s not rocket science. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just tried to set up a poll to see if fans would rather become a big club in Europe or be able to go to more games at affordable prices.  I couldn't work out how to do it though. 

I think it would be interesting to see how many fans are willing to sacrifice seeing Villa on a regular basis to become one of the big boys.

Tickets don't have to be £100 for us to be a top 4 contender.

We're charging more than Liverpool. More than Newcastle did. More than Arsenal.

It's not a choice that must be made.

• Like 3

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

You can do both.  A loyal and engaged fanbase will help drive other revenues.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Probably not but we saw the club buy two player they didn't even need to avoid a points deduction. I'd say it's desperate times.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Unless someone hasn't already answered: Just hit "Start new topic" then the "Poll" tab on the black menu bar above the newly started topic.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

The simple truth of it is that if Heck actually delivered on improving the match day experience then fans would have happily made up that extra £20 per head on food and beverages without so much as a passing thought. The atmosphere increases as a result and it filters down to the player and the manager. It’s not rocket science. 

Amen.

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Unless someone hasn't already answered: Just hit "Start new topic" then the "Poll" tab on the black menu bar above the newly started topic.

Thanks. I don't think it will go down too well at the moment so will leave it for now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This is spot on. It is not an either or is it.

Charging £90 a ticket or £60 a ticket isn't going to be the difference between success or failure. In fact the most successful clubs of the last decade or so, Liverpool and Man City, prove that as they are charging way less than us.

Of course those clubs have much bigger revenues than us but a very small proportion of that huge gulf is down to ticket sales. The vast majority of it is from commercial revenue an area where we are 200 mill+ behind. 

There is something else that needs to be remembered here. We haven't actually been that successful. We have finished 7th and 4th in the last two years both our highest league finishes since 2010. We have won nothing since 1996. Rinsing fans for every penny, and the in the grand scheme of things the relatively little difference that will make financially, will not make it anymore likely that we'll maintain our very, very recent upward trajectory. What it is 100% doing though is getting the backs up of thousands of supporters who have stayed loyal through years of tripe and are now, during a relatively short period of upward trajectory, being asked to dig ever deeper into their pockets or the club is happy to see someone else take their seat. For now that may work whilst their are takers but those at the club should be under no illusions they are only a season or two of mid table mediocrity away from once again desperately needing those fans they are now taking for mugs. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

You can do both.  A loyal and engaged fanbase will help drive other revenues.  

You almost have to do both,  because one without the other doesn't finally work.

It all takes time, patience, incremental relationship-building, marketing nous, and most of all, good football so that when there is a big ticket hike coming, all the stakeholders including fans will be mostly onboard, I would think?

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

The Category A tickets are generally now IMO too exepensive anyway so given the indications the Champions League tickets were going to be more than the usual category A games the pricing isn't a surprise. However, it is clearly disappointing that the club are charging so much.

Saying that his could be our only Champions League campaign for another 30 years so it's not one I want to miss regardless of cost and obviously the club know many supporters are also in the same boat.

Time to start saving. UTV!

10 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

The Category A tickets are generally now IMO too exepensive anyway so given the indications the Champions League tickets were going to be more than the usual category A games the pricing isn't a surprise. 

Yeah I actually find the PL category A tickets much more of a rip-off than the CL pricing. £72 for Wolves is mad.

There wasn’t much uproar because the majority of people paying for PL tickets already have season tickets and so aren’t affected by it. 

• Like 3