Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

11 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It’s quite simple don’t like it don’t pay for it - the club isn’t forcing anyone to pay or attend it’s your choice. If you cannot afford it then that’s a shame for you but plenty of others can and will pay - they know this and unless there is a mass boycott then they won’t do anything either and good luck arranging that ! 

This is the problem, a complete lack of solidarity. If you're poor piss off, the rich guys will pay. Wonder where the rich people were when we were crap. Wonder what will happen when we're crap again. As a club we haven't had sustained success since in 1880s. 

I've still got the out the door on 74 poster in my office. I'd suggest another show of strength against Everton. 

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

It's not a piss take. It's supply vs demand. Just like every other sporting event and concert these days. 

You can argue the club shouldn't do it and should keep prices lower to reward their loyal fan base who've been supporting the club for years but they'll say they are giving a 15% discount to season ticket holders or whatever.

There are reasons the club have set the prices that they have and reasons they should have set them lower. The complaints seem to be this is too expensive for me, but the counter argument is that if you won't pay it someone else will. 

“Supply and demand” is a bullshit argument. As someone else pointed out, Liverpool or Arsenal could charge £400 a ticket and sell some of their CL games. But they don’t. Football has never been about charging fans the absolute maximum you can, although it’s getting that way. 

Your last paragraph isn’t true either. Most people are saying it isn’t too expensive for them. They’ll pay it. I’m in that boat. I’ll go to every game. I’m lucky enough that I can pay it. 

That doesn’t make it right

• Like 2

Just now, Stratvillan said:

This is the problem, a complete lack of solidarity. If you're poor piss off, the rich guys will pay. Wonder where the rich people were when we were crap. Wonder what will happen when we're crap again. As a club we haven't had sustained success since in 1880s. 

I've still got the out the door on 74 poster in my office. I'd suggest another show of strength against Everton. 

I was there and been going regulay since 91 … the rich people were probably also there but now we have multiple price points to rinse more money out the people who can afford. I hate this notion if you can easily afford these prices you aren’t die hard etc as some have alluded to in this thread. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s not clever. It’s the opposite of clever. Any idiot can raise prices for a game they know fans are dying to see

Clever would be sacrificing a few hundred grand to keep the fans on side

But it’s more than a few hundred grand isn’t it come on … we have to make more money it’s blatantly obvious - this is one of many ways 

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Football has never been about charging fans the absolute maximum you can, although it’s getting that way. 

I think the top end of English football, i.e teams competing for European places, is already that way. Look at the price of kits just as an example. I'm old enough to remember when kits only changed every second season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure it is a clever business move.

I mean in the short term it ekes out about another £2.5m this season on top of what most people would have expected to pay, but we're in all of the national papers and all over every form of social media there is today as 'nasty old Villa, the team that hates supporters, enemy of the spirit of the game and the working man' booo!

Now that's not entirely fair, the whole of the Premier league is much the same and we're all headed in the same direction, but it's us that have picked up the label - the media are looking for a ticketing villain on the back of the Oasis furore and we're it - the representative for the Premier League in the rip off derby.

Our main route to increasing revenues in the future isn't ticketing, it's partnerships, it's sponsorship, and I would ask what has today done to our brand - to those that might want to partner with us, what has today done to our value to potential sponsors?

Newcastle have the Saudi association which some companies will avoid, Chelsea are seen as maverick at best and a shitshow at worst, they're difficult to deal with and put people off, Utd are expensive, Liverpool and Arsenal are too, Man City are peculiar and potentially about to be exposed in scandal - we're perfectly placed, the up and comers with the genius manager and the likeable Ollie Watkins, the pantomime goalkeeper known across the globe, the name, the history, the idea that we might be 'better' than those clubs - have better values, better ideals; we're the new and exciting but coming from a place of history and values - it's an easy sell right?

Until we become the face of greed, the corporatists with no thought for their own fans - that's a much harder sell, that's damaging to the brand, that makes us less unique, more of the same. 

Our brand identity, the soul of the club, our integrity and who we are, it matters, it matters enormously, it's unique  - it's what we have that can help us steal Nivea from Liverpool, Castrol from Spurs or DHL from Man Utd. I think we maybe put a stain on it today for £2.5m of extra revenue. In the short term that's fine, in the longer term I'm not so sure.

Do you think that any brand who will sponsor us really care and aren’t doing exactly the same thing to ensure they make the most amount of profits for their shareholders ? 

To be fair a lot of fans of the so called top 6 can't go to all the games. The demand is so high they have to go to the ones they can get tickets for. Those that are able to get to a lot more games have to pay a hell of a lot more.

If fans want success it will eventually become harder to get tickets to many games unless you pay more money.  I still think this pricing is a poor move publicity wise but fans need to accept it's where we are going if we want continued relative success.

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Do you think that any brand who will sponsor us really care

Care about a company they might pay to be associated have got a shitload of negative press?

Yes.

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

and aren’t doing exactly the same thing to ensure they make the most amount of profits for their shareholders ? 

Irrelevant.

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Do you think that any brand who will sponsor us really care and aren’t doing exactly the same thing to ensure they make the most amount of profits for their shareholders ? 

The ghost of Edward Bernays is crying because you wrote this.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, thabucks said:

But it’s more than a few hundred grand isn’t it come on … we have to make more money it’s blatantly obvious - this is one of many ways 

It’s a few hundred grand a game.  a couple of million quid over the 4 games. 

It’s one less clause on the next contract we offer a signing. 

some people have been arguing in this thread all day, imagine if that time was put in to paid work? You could of got 1/10 of a CL ticket… 

I would have called you money bags, but let’s be honest, you’d be Lucas Digne if you was earning that kind of money. 

Simple fact is, we are going to be tight with FFP/PSR again this season. Heck obviously see’s this as a guaranteed source of income and his remit is to increase income. 
Sadly this is the quickest way we can achieve competing with the Big 6 who have been lucky enough to have been in the right place when PL /CL took off. They then cleverly imposed rules to protect their position and prevent others breaking into their cosy cartel.

Newcastle may break into it because they are state owned and have a massive stadium. Sadly we are stuck in a position where our stadium isn’t big enough to compete with even West Ham. 
Poor decision by the club but these games will all sell out quickly.