Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

6 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

The four group games at an Average of £80 a ticket would be just over £3 million a game plus additional revenue for food drink hospitality so probably in the region of £14 million for the league stage maybe. 

Out of interest what is everyone up in arms here? Not being a smart just curious. We talking £20 extra for each CL game? 
so charging £91 and everyone would be happy with £71? So over 4 home games an extra £80 from being happy to disgruntled? 

• Like 1

Just now, CroVillan said:

Out of interest what is everyone up in arms here? Not being a smart just curious. We talking £20 extra for each CL game? 
so charging £91 and everyone would be happy with £71? So over 4 home games an extra £80 from being happy to disgruntled? 

You don't have kids do you or retired?

Just now, rodders0223 said:

You don't have kids do you or retired?

No need to be a smart arse mate and yes 3 boys that eat like starved Somali’s.

i was genuinely asking if the extra £80 over 4 games was the reason why everyone is up in arms?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CroVillan said:

Because the prices have already risen significantly this season. This is a rise on a rise and is just exploiting the excitement and good feeling of fans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CroVillan said:

or charging £91 and everyone would be happy with £71? So over 4 home games an extra £80 from being happy to disgruntled? 

I think folk are mainly annoyed, not up in arms. As a member who goes regularly with son my issue is the 30% increase on Cat A prices, the same Cat A prices are are already astronomical. 

Cat A would have been understandable for UCL but they have created a whole new made up level for the league stages of UCL. 

And before anyone thinks that's the end of it, if we manage to get to play offs or knockouts those made up levels will increase again. And before you know it the prem GA+ tickets will look cheap

• Like 1

Yeah I’m annoyed. 

I expected tickets to be expensive. I’ll pay it, and I’m lucky enough that an extra £20 a game won’t make too much difference to me. 

It’s the principle of the thing. Like I said above, they’ve worked out the maximum amount they can take the piss with and still fill the ground. 

That’s something I don’t like to see in football. Some of us still hold onto the romantic idea that football should be affordable. 

£94 to see one game is not that 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

It’s quite simple don’t like it don’t pay for it - the club isn’t forcing anyone to pay or attend it’s your choice. If you cannot afford it then that’s a shame for you but plenty of others can and will pay - they know this and unless there is a mass boycott then they won’t do anything either and good luck arranging that ! 

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Because the prices have already risen significantly this season. This is a rise on a rise and is just exploiting the excitement and good feeling of fans. 

Ok totally understandable and I’m not saying don’t vent and understand everyone’s frustration but it happens in every sport and every country brother. I’m not there and don’t know the crux of the steady increase in tickets so can’t gauge it from the members view.

but put this into perspective and I’ve stated this about 25 pages ago.

the increase for yearly NRL membership has also skyrocketed. $1100 a year to be exact for 13 games. 
a ticket to the state of origin with decent seating costs $200 + a ticket. Call it crazy and ludicrous but people pay and will continue to pay and sell out because it’s the pinnacle of rugby. Not everyone prints money in the garage(myself included) so I get it. Guess I can’t attend like all you other lads, supported Villa for 35yrs and would sell one of my kids to watch Villa play against Bayern or Juventus at Villa park.

edit: I’d probably sell two.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No, I was up in arms at the start of the season when Chris Heck was shown to have lied again in claiming tickets were going up 5%.

This is just another kick in nuts.

Wonder if he's ever had a cabbage thrown at him?

You wouldn’t! Hahhaha

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It’s quite simple don’t like it don’t pay for it - the club isn’t forcing anyone to pay or attend it’s your choice. If you cannot afford it then that’s a shame for you but plenty of others can and will pay - they know this and unless there is a mass boycott then they won’t do anything either and good luck arranging that ! 

But this is the point I said earlier. It’s all well and good saying that, but this is the first time we’ve played at this level in 40 years. 

People will pay it. Nobody is going to boycott in numbers our first champions league game in 40 years. 

That’s exactly why it’s such a piss take. Because they KNOW that’s the case, hence they’re squeezing everything they can out of it

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It’s quite simple don’t like it don’t pay for it - the club isn’t forcing anyone to pay or attend it’s your choice.

100%. I don't think anyone will disagree here.

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

If you cannot afford it then that’s a shame for you but plenty of others can and will pay 

We'll see.

There could be some irreversible damage being done at Aston Villa right when we should be capitalising on the best manager we'll probably ever have.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Assuming 40k tickets at an average of £80 a ticket (allowing for concessions and ST holder prices) it’s £3.2m

12.8m for the 4 games

I think it'll be less than that - firstly UEFA take a chunk of tickets out for their guests, sponsors and so on and to make room for their advertising boards and the increased media space they demand. We'll give away about 3,000 for away fans as that works for our segregation and, for the purposes of this, if we also rule out around 3,000 hospitality and GA+ seats as they're not linked to this pricing and also a few hundred for the clubs guests/players families/Prince William etc, we're probably left with about 35,000 tickets on sale at these prices.

Of those, assuming a 90% take up or just over, we'll sell a little under 24,000 of those tickets to season ticket holders - only a very limited number of those will be paying more than £80 - the ones that sit in 1888 - of the others, about 75% will be paying £79.00 and 25% paying £70.00 - lets go with an average across all season ticket holders of £76.00 - lets add in 20% of those being concessions - spread pretty evenly between those that are U18's and the combination of the other groups - the Under 18's (maybe 2,400 of them) will be paying £20 - the take up on those will be excellent and one of the odd things about this pricing is that it should make sure that a lot of kids will get to go, the others will be paying prices a lot closer to that £76.00 average.

So, 19,200 people at an average of £76.00, 2,400 at £20.00 and 2,400 at something like £70.00 - on my calculator, that comes up as £1,675,200.

That leaves us with around 11,000 tickets available for members and so on, there are more £94.00 seats than £85.00 seats, but less so than for season ticket holders who tend to occupy the better areas, so lets average that at £90.00 and assume the same numbers on concessions.

That's 8,800 people at an average of £90.00, 1,100 at £20.00 and 1,100 at something like £80.00 - which makes £902,000.

So, I reckon, for the tickets at prices announced today (so not including away tickets or hospitality) a total gate receipt of something along the lines of £2,577,200 or £10.3m for the four games.

Y'know, probably. Back of a fag packet and all that.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But this is the point I said earlier. It’s all well and good saying that, but this is the first time we’ve played at this level in 40 years. 

People will pay it. Nobody is going to boycott in numbers our first champions league game in 40 years. 

That’s exactly why it’s such a piss take. Because they KNOW that’s the case, hence they’re squeezing everything they can out of it

I'll pay cos I was only 11 the last time and my son is 11 now.... but our attendance in the Prem will suffer because of it. £496 these 4 games will cost, and one of them is against a bang average Scottish team. 

Edited by TDR V2

Just now, Tomaszk said:

100%. I don't think anyone will disagree here.

We'll see.

There could be some irreversible damage being done at Aston Villa right when we should be capitalising on the best manager we'll probably ever have.

I think just that maybe the reason for it brother. We haven’t got the luxury of spending and acquiring the players Unai wants and need bridge the gap to give us some breathing space until our revenue catches up in other streams.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not a piss take. It's supply vs demand. Just like every other sporting event and concert these days. 

You can argue the club shouldn't do it and should keep prices lower to reward their loyal fan base who've been supporting the club for years but they'll say they are giving a 15% discount to season ticket holders or whatever.

There are reasons the club have set the prices that they have and reasons they should have set them lower. The complaints seem to be this is too expensive for me, but the counter argument is that if you won't pay it someone else (or hundreds of other people) will. 

I've been getting fleeced for prices of sporting events I attend for years and years, but I accept the reality of market dynamics. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is it a piss take or clever business sense. - we have to maximise revenues to comply with SCR - how do we stay competitive against teams with twice our revenue base and adhere to the 80% squad cost ratio without raising prices ?