Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

As professional sports corporatize this is part and parcel. You can’t blame Heck, our owners are international businessmen with a capital b, they aren’t in it for just a love of the game/club.

Here in the US families and most working class people have been priced out of attending these type of events for 1/2 decades at least. This is modern top tier sports.

If we want to compete in the highest echelons, e.g. Champions League; its only going to get more expensive for supporters.

The average price of a non concession CL ticket is £91. So, say we sell out, but minus a (say) 4k away allowance (I think we’re only required to give 5%). So 38,000 (ish) x £91 is £3.4m per home game, x 4 games that’s £13.6m for the group stage alone. Not all of it profit of course but that’s a healthy income for 4 games.

Edited by alreadyexists

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

The average price of a non concession CL ticket is £91. So, say we sell out, but minus the 4k away allowance (I think we’re only required to give 5%). So 38,000 (ish) x £91 is £3.4m per home game, x 4 games that’s £13.6m for the group stage alone. Not all of it profit of course but that’s a healthy income for 4 games.

Call it £5m per game once you add in corporate and GA+ tickets.   So £20m for the four games. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I have been alienated by it. In a few seasons, I have gone from attending every home game that I am physically able to, to just a handful (4 - 5 max) over the past two seasons, to almost certainly none this season due to being priced out.

Plenty in my immediate circle who have experienced the same, including families who have had to give up long-held season tickets due to price increases that have consistently above the rate of inflation.

The child poverty rate in Birmingham is just above 40%, compared with a national average of ~22%. You're living in a fantasy world if you think this isn't going to alienate previously loyal fans

You’re not alienated… you’re still a fan, you’re still here chatting about the club, you still celebrate the goals, the wins. The unfortunate thing, like most us here, we are priced out. Worse yet, tickets and merch is still getting sold. So there’s no reason for the club to change what they’re doing. 

It sucks on a personal level. But this is what happens when we’re broke and the club is ambitious. 

I can’t afford going to prem games let alone CL games, but I’m not miffed if other people can. UTV, pay for the players that I can’t 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Call it £5m per game once you add in corporate and GA+ tickets.   So £20m for the four games. 

Halve the price and it’s £13m or so.

£7m is “nothing”.

• Like 1

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

You’re not alienated… you’re still a fan, you’re still here chatting about the club, you still celebrate the goals, the wins. The unfortunate thing, like most us here, we are priced out. Worse yet, tickets and merch is still getting sold. So there’s no reason for the club to change what they’re doing. 

It sucks on a personal level. But this is what happens when we’re broke and the club is ambitious. 

I can’t afford going to prem games let alone CL games, but I’m not miffed if other people can. UTV, pay for the players that I can’t 

Honestly? Not for much longer. As I said in a previous post, I'm well on my way to falling out of love with the club and don't even bother watching every game on a stream anymore. This is a direct consequence of the utter contempt the club has shown to loyal supporters over the past few years 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Halve the price and it’s £13m or so.

£7m is “nothing”.

£7m is a lot actually when you look at our total revenue. 

That's a Morgan Rogers transfer fee or a third of a new RB or a few days of Digne's wages.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bobzy said:

a]  Aston Villa isn't located in London; one of the most expensive cities in the World
b]  Arsenal are an established part of "the elite"; I imagine their wage bill in higher too
...but more importantly...
c]  "The Emirates is a library, filled with tourist fans".

We're very different, right?

There revenue also dwarfs ours though?

2 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Honestly? Not for much longer. As I said in a previous post, I'm well on my way to falling out of love with the club and don't even bother watching every game on a stream anymore. This is a direct consequence of the utter contempt the club has shown to loyal supporters over the past few years 

Maybe this is the plan. Replace the fanbase. 

• Like 1