Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

On 29/08/2024 at 22:51, ender4 said:

In the play-off round, 9th play 24th, 10th play 23rd, and so on. So even in our last game, you want to finish as high as possible just to get an easier play-off opponent. 

Minor correction: 9th and 10th are drawn against 23rd and 24th, so 9th will play either 23rd or 24th, and so on. You are correct that the higher positions will get an easier draw.

• Thanks 1

On 29/08/2024 at 19:06, Made In Aston said:

Yeah, if last year's CL was in the league format 12pts from 6 games would have got 8th. So over 8 games that is 16pts. It might give us the chance to rest a few players in the last couple of games if it doesn't look like we will make the top 8, but are comfortably in the top 24. 

Last year there were one team from each pot in each group. Meaning teams from pot 1 didn’t play an other pot 1 team in the group stage. This years the top teams will play each other, that should result in a lower points total to get into top 8.

My guess is that top 8 requires less than 2 points per game, maybe something like 14 points will do. 

To be fair the pots are now irrelevant.  Everyone plays 2 from each it's just luck of the draw which teams and if home or away.

Every team will fancy their chances and I think there could be one or two shocks.  Certainly more than the old groups.

Will be fascinating to watch it all unfold especially as we are in it.

Perfect time to join the elite really.

We should have learned a lot from last year in the conference so I expect with Unai for us to negotiate the group with no troubles.

Then the jeopardy will increase.

Exciting times!

UTV 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah, good old UEFA, the non-specific "Saturday", meaning I now have to check my phone every 12.4 seconds in case the fixtures are out because I'm ridiculously excited now we've had the draw.

Th good news is that there are only 50,400 more seconds left of Saturday, so you will only need to check your phone a maximum of another 4,064 times 😊

Edited by ender4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Th good news is that there are only 50,400 more seconds left of Saturday, so you will only need to check your phone a maximum of another 4,064 times 😊

I see you are also afflicted. :)

59 minutes ago, turvontour said:

What about 17th to 24th?

9th to 24th go into playoffs.

Interesting to see we are at 80% chance of getting in top 24. If we can get 16th or 17th or better means we might draw a team we'll be favourites to beat over 2 legs.