Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

14pts...Wins against Celtic, Bologna, Brugge and Bayern or Juve and draws against Young Boys and Monaco. 

I’ve just had a watch of a few YouTube videos and football manager suggests 16/17 points would be enough for top 8, just for reference 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

I’ve just had a watch of a few YouTube videos and football manager suggests 16/17 points would be enough for top 8, just for reference 

Yeah, if last year's CL was in the league format 12pts from 6 games would have got 8th. So over 8 games that is 16pts. It might give us the chance to rest a few players in the last couple of games if it doesn't look like we will make the top 8, but are comfortably in the top 24. 

• Like 1

I think eleven points is realistic and that should be enough to finish in the top 24. There's also the possibility that our last game will be completely meaningless with top 24 already secured and too eight unattainable. 

Edited by villa89

3 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

It might give us the chance to rest a few players in the last couple of games if it doesn't look like we will make the top 8, but are comfortably in the top 24. 

38 minutes ago, villa89 said:

There's also the possibility that our last game will be completely meaningless with top 24 already secured and too eight unattainable. 

In the play-off round, 9th play 24th, 10th play 23rd, and so on. So even in our last game, you want to finish as high as possible just to get an easier play-off opponent. 

• Like 1

So pretty certain now the squad will be

Martinez, Gauci, Olsen

Nedeljkovic, Cash, Carlos, Konsa, Pau, Mings, Digne, Maatsen

Bailey, Philogene, Oanana, Kamara, Barkley, Tielemans, McGinn, Ramsey

Buendia, Rogers, Duran, Watkins

U21 - Zych, Bogarde

No Bernabeu or big away days but I find getting Wankdorf is often a good consolation prize.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BOF said:

No Bernabeu or big away days but I find getting Wankdorf is often a good consolation prize.

Do you like Young Boys?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Do you like Young Boys?

Remember, kids, capitalisation is very important.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, villa89 said:

I think eleven points is realistic and that should be enough to finish in the top 24. There's also the possibility that our last game will be completely meaningless with top 24 already secured and too eight unattainable. 

11 points will comfortably qualify. I think it could be as low as 8

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Just wondering how Man City can hold 47%  stake in Girona and not have to reduce it or prevented from cross club transfers this year? 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91u1fxlo5bzlfx44a6es

it stinks. 

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91u1fxlo5bzlfx44a6es

it stinks. 

It does look dodgy as there was talk of them having to reduce the stake back in May, but it doesn't seem to have happened and Girona is still in the CL. Peps brother holds another 16%, so potentially City has influence over 63% of the club. 

Edited by Made In Aston

19 hours ago, MSvillain said:

I think we'll be in that 5th to 12th race for automatic qualification.

You can probably stick us down now for an agonising 9th place finish with a dodgy pen in there somewhere.

Worth remembering in general that a win in each Champions League match of the groups is worth £1.7m in prize money. I think we'll be going very strong in every game even if we were to have an good run and be qualified for playoffs with 2 games left.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Worth remembering in general that a win in each Champions League match of the groups is worth £1.7m in prize money. 

I think it's 1.7m Euros per win, so £1.4m.  But you also get another £1m per position higher you finish in the league table so if it's tight in the middle of the table, the last game could be worth £3-4 million for a win.

Edit - Ignore my figures, they are wrong.

Edited by ender4

32 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think it's 1.7m Euros per win, so £1.4m.  But you also get another £1m per position higher you finish in the league table so if it's tight in the middle of the table, the last game could be worth £3-4 million for a win.

Not sure where you've seen that guv.

Confident it's €2.1m per win, €700k for a draw.

Over €275k per league position. Every draw will increase that league position figure with the left over dosh. I'd imagine it'll be around €325-400k.

It's such a stitch up. They basically give a third of the money out to everyone.

Then a third hugely favouring those that finish at the top. So if City win the group phase, they get 36x the amount of the team that's finished bottom.

If that's not and enough a BS value pillar third which is based on 5 and 10 year UEFA coefficients irrespective of any performance.

Please don't make a super league. Please please please.

I think that's why Juve for example have gone so big. They've got to a few finals haven't they, probably get a huge chunk. I can't find an actual breakdown on the value pillar yet. Not sure it'll be fully confirmed until all rights have been sold...so could be after the final?

Edit: That value pillar is a right muddle. We will actually get a bit more for just being in the Prem from it, but it's still stupid to be using anything from 10 years ago in relation to payments this season.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure where you've seen that guv.

Confident it's €2.1m per win, €700k for a draw.

Over €275k per league position. Every draw will increase that league position figure with the left over dosh. I'd imagine it'll be around €325-400k.

It's such a stitch up. They basically give a third of the money out to everyone.

Then a third hugely favouring those that finish at the top. So if City win the group phase, they get 36x the amount of the team that's finished bottom.

If that's not and enough a BS value pillar third which is based on 5 and 10 year UEFA coefficients irrespective of any performance.

Yes you are correct. I was quoting numbers from memory and got the figures muddled.

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

So pretty certain now the squad will be

Martinez, Gauci, Olsen

Nedeljkovic, Cash, Carlos, Konsa, Pau, Mings, Digne, Maatsen

Bailey, Philogene, Oanana, Kamara, Barkley, Tielemans, McGinn, Ramsey

Buendia, Rogers, Duran, Watkins

U21 - Zych, Bogarde

Very good squad when you see it written down.