Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Fixed for you

Original and 'fixed' weren't mutually exclusive. Our club is likely to benefit from the revenue generated and I'm pleased to be able to visit at least 4 home games against at least 4 different teams instead of the possibility of getting knocked out in the first round if it were a simple knockout cup.

Just now, brommy said:

Original and 'fixed' weren't mutually exclusive. Our club is likely to benefit from the revenue generated and I'm pleased to be able to visit at least 4 home games against at least 4 different teams instead of the possibility of getting knocked out in the first round if it were a simple knockout cup.

Look we all know this Frankenstein of a format is a sop to the breakaway clubs who temporarily failed in their Superleague project.

Having a 8-game first round in a 36 club format is the definition of padding. The general feedback was that most fans were getting tired of the group stage format (in which even some premier league clubs have struggled to sell out in the past) and the logical answer was of course more games.

Maybe not the thread but the discussion of player workloads is only to increase this season leading into the FIFA World Club Cup next summer, and then the expanded World Cup in 2026. Obviously what will happen will be not fewer games but to allow clubs to have bigger squads, so the bigger clubs will buy even more of the top talent.

On 09/08/2024 at 14:45, wedge said:

Am I right in saying that whilst we'll find out our opponents and whether we'll play them home or away on Thursday 29th August we won't know the actual match dates and KO times until Saturday 31st?

This is all I can find, not aware of a delay in finding out dates and times but wouldn't surprise me

Screenshot_20240814_123026_Chrome.jpg

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Look we all know this Frankenstein of a format is a sop to the breakaway clubs who temporarily failed in their Superleague project.

Having a 8-game first round in a 36 club format is the definition of padding. The general feedback was that most fans were getting tired of the group stage format (in which even some premier league clubs have struggled to sell out in the past) and the logical answer was of course more games.

Maybe not the thread but the discussion of player workloads is only to increase this season leading into the FIFA World Club Cup next summer, and then the expanded World Cup in 2026. Obviously what will happen will be not fewer games but to allow clubs to have bigger squads, so the bigger clubs will buy even more of the top talent.

I broadly agree. I'm sure if we were regular CL contestants, I might tire of the league format costing me hundreds of pounds each season, especially if it were loss after loss, seeing us finish in the bottom 12 of 36 with no progression to the 'all or nothing' knockout ties. Until that time, if it ever happens, I'm looking forward to Villa playing 8 or more Champions League games, this season at least, especially as there's nothing my complaints could do about the format in any case.

13 minutes ago, TDR V2 said:

This is all I can find, not aware of a delay in finding out dates and times but wouldn't surprise me

Screenshot_20240814_123026_Chrome.jpg

You can bet we'll be at home for matchday 2 as it clashes with my 30 years wedding anniversary holiday.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

You can bet we'll be at home for matchday 2 as it clashes with my 30 years wedding anniversary holiday.

will be a lonely anniversary on her own, maybe you could zoom call her after the match ?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

She won't mind

• Haha 2

Tuesday 13th August 2024
UEFA Champions League - Third Qualifying Round, Second Leg
Champions Path

Ludogorets (Bul) 2-7 Qarabag (Aze) - Agg: 4-8
APOEL (Cyp) 0-0 Slovan Bratislava (Svk) - Agg: 0-2
FCSB (Rou) 2-3 Sparta Prague (Cze) - Agg: 3-4
PAOK (Gre) 3-4 Malmo (Swe) - Agg: 5-6
Ferencvaros (Hun) 1-1 Midtjylland (Den) - Agg: 1-3
Bodo/Glimt (Nor) 4-1 Jagiellonia Bialystok (Pol) - Agg: 5-1
League Path
Union Saint-Gilloise (Bel) 0-1 Sparta Prague (Cze) - Agg: 1-4
Fenerbahce (Tur) 1-1 Lille (Tur) - Agg: 1-2
Rangers (Sco) 0-2 Dynamo Kyiv (Ukr) - Agg: 1-3
Twente (Ned) 3-3 Red Bull Salzburg (Aut) - Agg: 4-5

Amazing win for Qarabag who were 2 goals behind at half-time before getting to go to extra-time and then they scored 4 times in extra time to knockout Ludogorets. Malmo also won a titanic clash with PAOK by equalising in the 6th minute of injury time to bring it to extra-time and then grabbing the winner in the 99th minute. The big news of course was Jose Mourinho failing to make the Champions League group stage. A late Jonathan David penalty in extra-time saw Lille through. A change of venue for Rangers didn't help as a contentious red card to Jefte ultimately was the difference as Kyiv got two late goals to send them through.

And so, we come to the final round of qualifying. Young Boys, Galatasaray and Dinamo Zagreb enter at this stage and all winners of the below ties will qualify for the League Phase of the Champions League. Most of these winners are likely to be put in Pot 4 alongside us even though it doesn't really matter which pot they go into as everyone has to face two sides from each pot.

Champions League - Play-off Round - Champions Path
Young Boys (Sui) vs Galatasaray (Tur)
Dinamo Zagreb (Cro) vs Qarabag (Aze)
Midtjylland (Den) vs Slovan Bratislava (Svk)
Bodo/Glimt (Nor) vs Red Star Belgrade (Srb)
Malmo (Swe) vs Sparta Prague (Cze)

Champions League - Play-off Round - League Path
Lille (Fra) vs Slavia Prague (Cze)
Dynamo Kyiv (Ukr) vs Red Bull Salzburg (Aut)

The ties above are to played on 20-21 August and the return legs on 27-28 August with the League Phase draw the following day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

Tuesday 13th August 2024
UEFA Champions League - Third Qualifying Round, Second Leg
Champions Path

Ludogorets (Bul) 2-7 Qarabag (Aze) - Agg: 4-8
APOEL (Cyp) 0-0 Slovan Bratislava (Svk) - Agg: 0-2
FCSB (Rou) 2-3 Sparta Prague (Cze) - Agg: 3-4
PAOK (Gre) 3-4 Malmo (Swe) - Agg: 5-6
Ferencvaros (Hun) 1-1 Midtjylland (Den) - Agg: 1-3
Bodo/Glimt (Nor) 4-1 Jagiellonia Bialystok (Pol) - Agg: 5-1
League Path
Union Saint-Gilloise (Bel) 0-1 Sparta Prague (Cze) - Agg: 1-4
Fenerbahce (Tur) 1-1 Lille (Tur) - Agg: 1-2
Rangers (Sco) 0-2 Dynamo Kyiv (Ukr) - Agg: 1-3
Twente (Ned) 3-3 Red Bull Salzburg (Aut) - Agg: 4-5

Amazing win for Qarabag who were 2 goals behind at half-time before getting to go to extra-time and then they scored 4 times in extra time to knockout Ludogorets. Malmo also won a titanic clash with PAOK by equalising in the 6th minute of injury time to bring it to extra-time and then grabbing the winner in the 99th minute. The big news of course was Jose Mourinho failing to make the Champions League group stage. A late Jonathan David penalty in extra-time saw Lille through. A change of venue for Rangers didn't help as a contentious red card to Jefte ultimately was the difference as Kyiv got two late goals to send them through.

And so, we come to the final round of qualifying. Young Boys, Galatasaray and Dinamo Zagreb enter at this stage and all winners of the below ties will qualify for the League Phase of the Champions League. Most of these winners are likely to be put in Pot 4 alongside us even though it doesn't really matter which pot they go into as everyone has to face two sides from each pot.

Champions League - Play-off Round - Champions Path
Young Boys (Sui) vs Galatasaray (Tur)
Dinamo Zagreb (Cro) vs Qarabag (Aze)
Midtjylland (Den) vs Slovan Bratislava (Svk)
Bodo/Glimt (Nor) vs Red Star Belgrade (Srb)
Malmo (Swe) vs Sparta Prague (Cze)

Champions League - Play-off Round - League Path
Lille (Fra) vs Slavia Prague (Cze)
Dynamo Kyiv (Ukr) vs Red Bull Salzburg (Aut)

The ties above are to played on 20-21 August and the return legs on 27-28 August with the League Phase draw the following day.

Were Young Boys and Gala drawn against each other randomly? Or was it scripted that those two last qualifying round entrants would face each other? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brommy said:

I hear the Terrace View is a nice romantic spot

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Were Young Boys and Gala drawn against each other randomly? Or was it scripted that those two last qualifying round entrants would face each other? 

Yeah, luck of the draw. They could have faced anyone in the Champions Path.

My Dinamo team got most probably the easiest of teams to qualify into the champs. Obviously still not easy but easier than some of the other opponents. Watch them bottle it against Qarabag lol

2 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

Yeah, luck of the draw. They could have faced anyone in the Champions Path.

That's bad luck for them, but good for everyone else on an assumption they're expected to be better than anyone else in the tournament at that stage.

I just hope that none of the really hostile fan brigade get through. I don't mind an atmosphere, but any more fan groups like the Legia lunatics I'd rather we couldn't face.

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

will be a lonely anniversary on her own, maybe you could zoom call her after the match ?

2 hours ago, TDR V2 said:

She won't mind

42 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

I hear the Terrace View is a nice romantic spot

Thanks for the suggestions but we've got two weeks touring Southern Italy* booked, otherwise my wife would be at Villa Park with me. She's had a season ticket for last 32 years.

* was hoping to watch us on Matchday 2 away at Napoli but they didn't even qualify.

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

I have a guest ticket for our first CL home game and, unbelievably, it clashes with my actual wedding day so ...... if anybody wants to take my place, she's the one in white, called Laura and she's a decent cook !

I'm not falling for that old cheshunt again