Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

I know I'm looking too far ahead, but what happens to the 24 teams that get through. Is it knockouts or another league or groups?

5 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

That was the old format though. In the new one all 36 teams are in the same table and you’d have to end up 27th or better to advance, which is why I think it could be way less than 10 points needed, especially since all clubs play different opponents.

I imagine it’ll be about the same points total (10) to get into the playoffs and maybe 16/17 to go directly into the last 16. 

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I know I'm looking too far ahead, but what happens to the 24 teams that get through. Is it knockouts or another league or groups?

Top 8 in the league go directly to the last 16, places 9 to 24 (inclusive) go into a playoff round which is seeded as a team which finished 9th-16th drawn against a side which finished 17th-24th.

Then the initial top 8 are seeded against the winners of the playoff games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Top 8 in the league go directly to the last 16, places 9 to 24 (inclusive) go into a playoff round which is seeded as a team which finished 9th-16th drawn against a side which finished 17th-24th.

Then the initial top 8 are seeded against the winners of the playoff games. 

Ta, I never thought of just looking at the uefa site. Seems simple enough. 

£30m £50m? £175m? £300m  ....Its like the figures for getting promoted to the prem, where journos pull a different figure out their backside each day 🤣

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Why can’t we win it? 

IMG_9761.jpeg

Weird looking at that mini table. We conceded the most and lost the (joint) most but performed the best 😎

32 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

£30m £50m? £175m? £300m  ....Its like the figures for getting promoted to the prem, where journos pull a different figure out their backside each day 🤣

it's because it's not a set amount. i think the baseline is around 30m. then it's about 2m per win and 1m per draw. then if you get through it's 10m ish per knockout round. so the 50m figure probably has been estimated based on 30m + 10m ish in match prize money + qualification to the next round

after that it get's complicated, with different teams getting different amounts at the end of the tournament based on their overall country coefficient and countries' teams performances in the competition (i think).

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I think getting to the playoff round is the target. We need to be better than 9 other teams to achieve that. So coming 27th or better of the 36 teams gets to Playoffs. 

That is very possible in new format as the seeding doesn't matter as much as the old format as you could get 3 very good teams when 4th seed. Now we draw and play 2 from each seeding group and our own seeding is irrelevant to us really 

based on my experience in football manager, 8 points tends to be enough for playoffs. looking at the teams in pots 3 and 4 we absolutely should be capable of the playoffs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it's because it's not a set amount. i think the baseline is around 30m. then it's about 2m per win and 1m per draw. then if you get through it's 10m ish per knockout round. so the 50m figure probably has been estimated based on 30m + 10m ish in match prize money + qualification to the next round

after that it get's complicated, with different teams getting different amounts at the end of the tournament based on their overall country coefficient and countries' teams performances in the competition (i think).

What I can’t work out is if the £50m includes additional tv revenue from being televised, I’m assuming it doesn’t so I think that gets us extra money too. Plus we finished higher in the PL so that’s worth more money. Exciting times.

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Weird looking at that mini table. We conceded the most and lost the (joint) most but performed the best 😎

19 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Why can’t we win it? 

IMG_9761.jpeg

At the risk of sounding like a party pooper, we played City without Rodri. It's been proven that he makes a massive difference so worth not getting too ahead of ourselves

12 hours ago, maqroll said:

I still feel violated by Gerrard. He dragged Villa down into the sewer of his own incompetence, arrogance and a kind of sleaze.

Well summed up… Unai dragged us out out the mire and into the light…

spacer.png

10 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

The Real Madrid that needed penalties to beat the Man City we battered?

We will have players back plus bright, shiny new ones.

Dortmund (5th in Germany) have made the final. Nothing is certain. We can go far and match anyone on our day.

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

What I can’t work out is if the £50m includes additional tv revenue from being televised, I’m assuming it doesn’t so I think that gets us extra money too. Plus we finished higher in the PL so that’s worth more money. Exciting times.

I’ll try and find the article with the breakdown. Way over my pay grade to be able to try and make sense of it all hahaha 

got the rough jist but a lot weighed on certain hypotheticals. Premier league status at #4 was 178m, Champions League minimum 38m, Sponsorships, kit deal etc had us at well over 300m last year we were at 217m but don’t quote me on that figure. 

• Like 1