Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

12 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I don't have time for nonsense, sorry. We're going to try to win the league outright, and I don't want to hear any "sensible" voices suggesting otherwise.

🤣

OK, let me calm down here. I do think we're contenders, OK?

Last year I predicted Villa in the top four, and I was remarkably consistent the whole year. But this year, I'm only going to seriously predict

... the top three. 🤓

I don't believe in ghosts or karma or "tempting fate," and I have no fear saying that. I just think top three is a reasonable if hopeful guesstimate.

It's our time.

We've got goals in us, a great manager, good owners, the kids are more than alright, and I also think "the boys" will be back in town by this October in big way, starting with this chap. What are we waiting for?

We've all grossly underestimated the impact of injury-returning players. It's going to be good, but not in the way many of us imagine. Tyrone's legs and aerial game were important, but it's his brain and mentoring experience that we've missed most, and that we still managed fourth last season without him is a testament to just how much potential Villa possess. So, I'm revising: Number One. Why be shy? If we don't go for it now, all the way, get in there, working hard AF together as a squad and a club and a growing worldwide fan base, all with a great vibe, when else would we do this? It's our time. Tyrone says so.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Here's a YouTube Villa season preview from two young lads where virtually every comment is either utterly inane, or completely wrong, making the whole thing hilarious! 😂 

I genuinely thought they were doing an inspired Saint and Greavsie piss-take, which would have been as amazing as it was unlikely given their age, but no, they are genuinely giving it their all, bless em!  

Top 6 and a cup final. This season we hopefully have key players returning instead of getting injured. I think we'll start slowly but pick up as we go on. The opposite of last season. 

• Like 1

On 07/08/2024 at 12:44, MSvillain said:

Just to add some data behind this, 1.76 is the average ppg for 5th place across the last 4 years, with a high of 1.82 which looks like a bit of an anomaly. 

Below are Emery's ppg:

image.thumb.png.b91407a58f65e5e217ad404916c1fff5.png

Emery's league record with us is better, at 1.86ppg, or around 71 points a season.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Captain_Townsend said:

I was a bit surprised to see Four Four Two predict 8th for us, 7th for Chelsea, 6th for Newcastle, 5th for Spurs and 4th for Man Utd.

Are we forever doomed to be seen this way no matter what we achieve?

it doesn’t matter what they predict. It will be entirely wrong by the end of the season. 

it’s utterly meaningless. If Villa are better then 8th then they will be better then 8th. 

44 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I was a bit surprised to see Four Four Two predict 8th for us, 7th for Chelsea, 6th for Newcastle, 5th for Spurs and 4th for Man Utd.

Newcastle went down from 4th to 7th last year so I think it's just a wait and see in how we deal with CL and then a quick turnaround for tough prem games. November will be a very good guide given who we're playing in the league in that period.

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Absolutely. We've done the best part of two years with top 4 form. If we finish 4th this season, they'll have us down for 7th the season after. Luke Shaw will be fully fit that season. 

Just now, LondonLax said:

Let’s hope the West Ham match goes better than our preseason 😬

possibly one of the worst pre-seasons in decades, I couldn't tell you one real positive from it other than Buendia and Ramsey returning.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Anyone worried about Man. United this season. All of Casemiro, Evans and Maguire starting for them a week out from the start of the season. 

Think we’ll have ourselves to worry about based on the pre-season performances overall. 

Just now, LondonLax said:

Let’s hope the West Ham match goes better than our preseason 😬

Like last year I'll happily take a point. No drama to draw a game away on opening day.

They've made some decent signings and still have all of Kudus, Bowen, Paqueta, Alvarez, Soucek so lots of ways to hurt us. Lopetegui also did us twice with Wolves.

Most important thing in opening weeks is we beat the teams we need to and keep in top 8 so that's games like Leicester away and Everton at home. Then hopefully we'll find the combinations that worked so well for most of last season all over the pitch.

1 minute ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Dougie Luiz is key to how we plalyed..

Very worried

We didn't exactly finish last season great and he played then.

It's pretty clear Kamara is key to how we play. Our form before and after he got injured is night and day.

Edited by Mantis
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I'm concerned. I didn't think I would be but I'm worried about how we are going to start this season. 

There's no doubt some/much of it has been forced on us and losing Dougie has been a massive blow to the heart, but there's only one word to describe this preseason and that is chaotic.

Of course, it could all be different next week and I end up eating my words, but I honestly don't think we can expect much as things stand. It's a bit of a dog's dinner right now.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â