Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

I'd say Emery will be targeting 70pts+ this time out. I can't see us genuinely challenging for the title but why can't we match/slightly improve on last season's tally?

10 minutes ago, romavillan said:

but why can't we match/slightly improve on last season's tally?

Because we concede too many goals

16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I'd say Emery will be targeting 70pts+ this time out. I can't see us genuinely challenging for the title but why can't we match/slightly improve on last season's tally?

• Ollie might not score 19 and assist 13 this season 
  • Chelsea will likely be better 
  • Newcastle will likely be better 
  • Brighton will likely be better 
  • League is stronger overall, Palace, West Ham will be better - three who have come up are better than three who went down

Take your pick :flag:

All those things might go even more in our favour of course.

70 points is a fair target, would be a fantastic achievement to get it.

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We got 68 points last season conceding 61 times. 

Doesn't seem sustainable to keep that points tally up when you concede so many goals. Puts more pressure on the attackers.

Defence has to improve

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:
  • Ollie might not score 19 and assist 13 this season 
  • Chelsea will likely be better 
  • Newcastle will likely be better 
  • Brighton will likely be better 
  • League is stronger overall, Palace, West Ham will be better - three who have come up are better than three who went down

Take your pick :flag:

All those things might go even more in our favour of course.

70 points is a fair target, would be a fantastic achievement to get it.

Ollie is probably going to peak this/next season, give him service he'll get 20+ goals this time out. All of the other points are problems for every other side in the league as well. 

I'm not saying it's a given I think we overachieved last season but having hit those levels Emery is only talking about improvement. Which is awesome, and who's to say it's not doable?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Doesn't seem sustainable to keep that points tally up when you concede so many goals. Puts more pressure on the attackers.

Defence has to improve

I would think it's a massive part of Emery's preparations, that said the fact we did get 4th shipping 60 odd goals means it's possible. 

14 hours ago, romavillan said:

I would think it's a massive part of Emery's preparations, that said the fact we did get 4th shipping 60 odd goals means it's possible. 

We did get 4th with 68 points against a Spurs side equally leaking goals.

I don't think we get top 4 if our defence don't improve this season. I really don't

30 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We did get 4th with 68 points against a Spurs side equally leaking goals.

I don't think we get top 4 if our defence don't improve this season. I really don't

To be honest mate, if we took all your predictions as a given, we'd be playing blues next season in league one

• Haha 1

Forget the big six, it's now THE FAT EIGHT!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cz7e4g4d4ndo

Aston Villa

Last season's finish: Fourth (23 points below City)

Aston Villa qualified for the Champions League by achieving a hugely impressive fourth-place finish last season.

Unai Emery has turned the club from relegation candidates to a team who were being talked about as title contenders for a while last season - and he has not even been in charge for two years yet.

The club have needed to sell players this summer to meet the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules.

But they have brought in plenty of new faces - including Everton midfielder Amadou Onana, Chelsea left-back Ian Maatsen, Luton midfielder Ross Barkley - and the return of academy products Jaden Philogene and Cameron Archer.

BBC Sport senior football news reporter Nick Mashiter says: "Since being appointed when they were three points above the relegation zone in October 2022, Unai Emery has overseen a drastic transformation, along with Monchi - Villa's president of football operations - and others.

"They were in the title conversation last season and were third at the end of the year, just a point off then leaders Arsenal, but two defeats by Manchester United and a home loss to Newcastle effectively ended any hopes by mid-February.

"Villa have undergone a mini-refresh with Douglas Luiz and Moussa Diaby the biggest departures - as Samuel Iling-Junior and Enzo Barrenechea join from Juventus - but still feel light on title-winning experience, despite the huge strides made."

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Michael owen has tipped us to finish 3rd behind arsenal and liverpool. And finish above CITY 

Can i have some of what you are smoking michael?

He's good at stating the obvious to be fair to him👀

• Like 1

We may as well throw in the towel now. West ham have had such an amazing window and have shown such ambition that everyone else is just making up the numbers …..🥴

Jokes aside, I’m delighted that we are still flying under the radar. I have no doubt that the squad shaping is not finished yet but make no mistake Emery is going to start the season to try and win the league and the champions league. Yes, that’s not realistic but what it will mean is that we finish far closer to fourth than some of the more conservative estimates. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Michael owen has tipped us to finish 3rd behind arsenal and liverpool. And finish above CITY 

We were only 23 points behind Man City last season. I see a Labour style swing coming and we will finish 23 points ahead of them this coming season.  

46 point swing. Easy.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can i have some of what you are smoking michael?

If we are above City we probably win the league, I think there is more chance us winning the league than City gets 4th. 

• Like 1

I’d be happy with 6th, maybe even 7th if it gets European qualification and not disgracing ourselves in the Champs League.

Feel like we need to temper expectations and not see anything below 4th as going backwards. Finishing in the top 6-7 is going to become increasingly difficult, we now have 8 clubs, perhaps 9 with West Ham who will all be viably targeting the European places.

Posted (edited)

I don't have time for nonsense, sorry. We're going to try to win the league outright, and I don't want to hear any "sensible" voices suggesting otherwise.

🤣

OK, let me calm down here. I do think we're contenders, OK?

Last year I predicted Villa in the top four, and I was remarkably consistent the whole year. But this year, I'm only going to seriously predict

... the top three. 🤓

I don't believe in ghosts or karma or "tempting fate," and I have no fear saying that. I just think top three is a reasonable if hopeful guesstimate.

It's our time -- and not that we need anyone else to tell us that, but still -- yep.  

We've got goals in us, a great manager, good owners, the kids are more than alright, and I also think "the boys" will be back in town by this October in big way, starting with this chap. What are we waiting for?

We've all grossly underestimated the impact of injury-returning players. It's going to be good, but not in the way many of us imagine. Tyrone's legs and aerial game were important, but it's his brain and mentoring experience that we've missed most, and that we still managed fourth last season without him is a testament to just how much potential Villa possess. So, I'm revising: Number One. Why be shy? If we don't go for it now, all the way, get in there, working hard AF together as a squad and a club and a growing worldwide fan base, all with a great vibe, when else would we do this? It's our time. Tyrone says so.  

spacer.png

Michael Owen makes shock Premier League title prediction with a big drop for Man City and Aston Villa among those finishing above the champions

Owen has predicted that Man City will drop a number of positions this season

Aston Villa are among the sides that Owen feels will finish ahead of City 

Get breaking Premier League news straight to your phone on Mail Sport's new WhatsApp channel

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

If we are above City we probably win the league, I think there is more chance us winning the league than City gets 4th. 

Very true mate

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â