Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think  I’m usually level headed when it comes to Villa. I honestly think though that over the next 2/3 years we are seriously going to be challenging for the title. Not saying we are going to win it, but our name will be in the hat. 

This 

• Like 3

As important as the financial side of it is and we really will push on better if we keep making the CL, we don't want to be Tottenham. At some point we need to win a trophy and cups are probably our best chance.

13 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

As important as the financial side of it is and we really will push on better if we keep making the CL, we don't want to be Tottenham. At some point we need to win a trophy and cups are probably our best chance.

Starting this year with the one with big ears

• Like 1

I see this in fairly simple terms I suppose. The following teams have the capital and draw to potentially have a season that competes for the top 4. 

Man c / man utd / Arsenal / Spurs / Chelsea/ newcastle / Liverpool and ...... villa. 

Depending on managerial appointments, injuries, luck, form whatever, all of these teams could finish top 4. 

That means that we could have a good season and still finish 8th and it would not be poor or a 'disgrace' - (insert hyperbole here). 

For me then, we need ti be aiming to for the Middle of this pack each and every year as a minimum target. Some years we will be above [top 3] and some years we will be below [5-8th]. The more years we hit 4th or above the more likely we are to keep doing so, until it becomes the norm and we move to the next bracket of Arsenal, Liverpool and man c in recent years. 

I'm really optimistic this year is going to be another successful year on those metrics. Arsenal have not strengthened yet, ma. C are mostly a year old and fatter, utd, Chelsea, newcastle, spurs all still have managers I don't rate and we still have unai. On the basis of Walsall....I would also have said it looks that the playing staff has overall improved too. 

Really excited for aug 17th. I even did my first draft of fantasy yesterday. Which is normally done 20mins before kick off. Game one! 

Nico Williams for diaby and we are in dream land. I really thinknthst change would push us towards that top 3 group. If not, so be it. I can cope with the first scenario outlined above each and every year. It sure beats Richards, Lescott, mccormack, elphick and Hutton!! 

Come of monchi, bring in the last piece and let's go Villa!! 

VTID

• Like 2

Saw a couple of folks on social media yesterday, probably Arsenal fans, saying that there is no way we're gonna be near the CL spots this year, because Unai is a 1 season manager. Even now we are being underestimated. Cannot wait to see the comments in April next year. Given the way we have strengthened this year, we're gonna be really hard to stop. We might struggle in the CL first year in, but we're gonna hit some league teams for 5, 6 or 7. We've shored up almost all our weaknesses, and improved our strengths. What a time to be Villa.

• Like 3

On 18/07/2024 at 23:01, rodders129 said:

Bookies have us in 8th behind top 3, Chelsea, Man U, Spurs and Newcastle 

You'd have to be absolutely deluded to think that any of Chelsea, Man U, Spurs, or Newcastle are more likely to win the league than we are. Some or even all of them might well finish above us come the end of season, but more likely to win? Absolutely not.

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

You'd have to be absolutely deluded to think that any of Chelsea, Man U, Spurs, or Newcastle are more likely to win the league than we are. Some or even all of them might well finish above us come the end of season, but more likely to win? Absolutely not.

I’m not saying we will win it but we can definitely finish in the top 1. Arsenal to sack Arteta in the new year. After losing to the mighty Villa for the second time that season. Then probably go for Turchel, after a failed bid for Pochettino. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Chelsea had some run of form in the whole of the second half of the year, beating us and getting very close to Liverpool and Arsenal.  If they could continue that form (or further improve) then they have a better chance than us of winning the league. 

Agree with Man Utd, Newcastle and Spurs. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Chelsea had some run of form in the whole of the second half of the year, beating us and getting very close to Liverpool and Arsenal.  If they could continue that form (or further improve) then they have a better chance than us of winning the league. 

They beat us in the FA Cup not the league. They were looking good under Poch though for sure and were the much better side in the 2-2 draw at VP. 

Trouble is they’ve since parted ways with him and have yet another new manager and their only signing of note so far is Dewsbury Hall. If that was us people would be predicting us to regress but because it’s Chelsea they ignore it. 

• Like 1

I’m really excited for the season ahead but found the experience last season so intense. A symptom of doing so well last season was being so invested in every game. Wins were so uplifting but the losses were unbearable 😅 Man U on Boxing Day nearly broke me, haha!

If we’re being honest, missing out on top 4 this season would feel like a big come down. Once you’ve tasted UCL anything else feels like regression. I can’t even imagine how disappointing it will feel if we have a season comparable with Newcastle just gone. 

That said, it will take a monumental effort to keep the standard and results up this year. If we’re being honest as well as injuries and fatigue, teams began to figure us out a bit and that compounded the drop in form. 

As things stand we’ve lost a key player and had a couple of decent additions in Maatsen and Onana etc, plus JJ and Buendia will be welcome. There’s also a big unknown when you add players, success isn’t guaranteed…Diaby is proof enough of that.

We’ll have to see how the tactical and personnel changes play out. Unai will retain full backing this season no matter what. Will be interesting if this turns out to be a ‘transitional’ year or one where we consolidate top 4 status and make a good effort in the UCL

53 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes but that was under Pocchetino who took half a season to knock them into some kind of shape and get them playing.  They've since binned him and it's anybody's guess how they will perform under the new boss.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

It will be so hard to replace one of the traditional top 4, but if anyone can do it our Unai can. Spurs' place is there for the taking. We did it last season so let's keep doing it.

I think we will win a domestic cup this season, everyone in power at the club will want to end the trophy drought and I bet the players are itching for it too. You reckon we'll win anything in 24/25 (other than the UCL)?

Hey… everything’s on the table 😆

I’d rather just enjoy the ride rather than predict anything or somehow add any element of pressure.

Going to full enjoy that Champions League campaign for one.

Hoping Ollie can break that goalscoring record too, a fitting representative of the club. Top bloke and player.

I don’t fear anyone, the only club it will be hard to challenge is City (unless they finally get charged for all of their wrongdoing)…

as much as I dislike them (esp their manager and most of all their fans), Arsenal are a problem.

Liverpool will have to go through a transition and we could well accelerate past them. Don’t give a crap about the likes of Spurs or Chelsea who have far inferior managers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

who have far inferior managers

Great to read this after I have had so much abuse on social media for saying that Emery is far better than Postecoglou. Ange is a good manager but Unai is world class, levels above, and I'm afraid it is just factual. 

I don't really FEAR anyone for 24/25, it's just about who's going to be the biggest annoyances. We have a vision and I'd love to believe that we cannot be stopped. I know I shouldn't get carried away when it comes to Villa but the way the club is being run at the moment just forces me to believe.

• Like 1

We have the Coach and will most likely have the squad depth to finish at least top 6 even with a successful CL campaign to contend with, as long as we can avoid a very lengthy injury list.   

One note of caution is that Newcastle and Chelsea (twice) worked us out and nullified us at VP with a fast high man-to-man press that prevented our careful build up from the back and knocked us out of our comfort zone.   

If more opposition coaches cotton on to that approach we will need to work out how to counter it.  I suppose we kind of countered it in the second Chelsea game where we managed to weather the press and take a two goal lead via swift counter attacks.  But we were still outplayed, were very fortunate to somehow be 2-0 up at half time, and came very close to losing it in the end. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

We have the Coach and will most likely have the squad depth to finish at least top 6 even with a successful CL campaign to contend with, as long as we can avoid a very lengthy injury list.   

One note of caution is that Newcastle and Chelsea (twice) worked us out and nullified us at VP with a fast high man-to-man press that prevented our careful build up from the back and knocked us out of our comfort zone.   

If more opposition coaches cotton on to that approach we will need to work out how to counter it.  I suppose we kind of countered it in the second Chelsea game where we managed to weather the press and take a two goal lead via swift counter attacks.  But we were still outplayed, were very fortunate to somehow be 2-0 up at half time, and came very close to losing it in the end. 

This.

Happened a few times last season. Emery's Villa start real slow, the European way if you will. Teams who play with more intensity can catch us cold. Spuds, Barcodes, Chelsea, Liverpool away....

• Like 2

Liverpool will hopefully follow Arsenal and man u with  Wegner / Fergie type decline after a long serving manager leaves 

Ten Hag is only keeping the seat warm for Southgate 

Chelsea are still a decent manager away from being a good side 

Spurs fans were already turning on Ange last season so a bad start for them could see him under pressure 

Newcastle , Eddie Howe still just looks like a caretaker manager there , they are good on their day , but thankfully those days don't happen frequently enough 

so really that leaves us with third place assuming we can't out smarten the Spanish Sherwood and nick second from Arsenal 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

This.

Happened a few times last season. Emery's Villa start real slow, the European way if you will. Teams who play with more intensity can catch us cold. Spuds, Barcodes, Chelsea, Liverpool away....

It's not just about the slow starts though, those teams outplayed us for most of those games and we were fighting for scraps by comparison.  It was another apparent weakness though, we were slow out of the blocks, especially second half, and also seemed to switch off early for half time when ahead. We  conceded far too many goals in the 5-10 minutes either side of half time. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â