Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

10 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

There should be a top 4 thread then and not a ‘Race for the PL’.. Title thread was always delusional and I thought that at the start of the season with the expectation that Felix and Geertruida would be signed and they weren’t.

Top 4 is the best we can hope for so this thread should be closed and replaced with a more realistic one.

I'm pretty sure the title was tongue in cheek.

55 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm pretty sure the title was tongue in cheek.

Yes but that’s not the point. If we had a relegation thread that was ‘tongue in cheek’ it would be suspended by now. 

Mixed feelings about the start, Obviously 13 points from 6 games is good  but it is pretty much the easiest start it was possible to have. Other than Arsenal we have played 5 of the bottom 7 teams in the league and haven't really looked great against any of them and realistically could have easily ended up drawing (or worse) at least 2 more of them. Great that we have managed to turn some of these into wins but our defence, including martinez has been awful at times which will be a major concern against some of the better teams. Cash may not be the best RB in the world but him there and Konsa at CB is far better than we currently have both defensively & going forwards and the sooner he is back the better.

• Like 1

Everybody has their own opinion on where they think Villa will finish so will never criticise anybody thinking Villa can win etc the league etc. 

Going off from what I’ve seen this season, our defending and the amount of goals we are conceding isn’t sustainable over a 38 game season if we want to challenge for top four/europe again. Fear at some point there will be a game we come up against a team that’s clinical and we will be on the receiving end of a heavy defeat. 

Konsa needs to go back to CB, I just don’t rate Carlos at all and disappointed nobody wanted him enough to buy him this summer. 

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Pipe dream. We’ll be nowhere near 4th let alone 1st if we keep playing as we are.

Looked rubbish in pretty much every game so far this season. Struggled to beat Leicester, Wolves and Everton and should have lost to Ipswich. All those teams will be in the bottom 6 I guarantee you. 

Were you saying this after Forest away last season by any chance? The reality is if we keep winning at home and win away every third game we will be in the top 4/5 mix.

People seemed to think on here last year we needed to win pretty much every away game to just finish 4th. When you look at the end of the season the teams in 4th-6th will have 7-9 away wins to their name so we're doing fine on that front.

A point today isn't terrible if we beat Man. United as we should.

We need to aswell as November is easily our hardest month of the season and we'll inevitably drop points in December also so don't want to be playing catch up too much at the midway point.

55 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

We are 2 points off of first. How are we not in it. 

Because like last season we will get nowhere near 90 points which is the minimum to win it nowadays.

We had an amazing run up to Boxing day last season and still in the end finished 25 points off 1st, that is the reality.

CL for two consecutive seasons would be an amazing achievement and is realistic.

• Like 1

The level of pessimism in this thread could power a small country. Some on here act like we can't improve the defense come January.  Imagine telling a Villa fan 4 years ago that we would be 2 points off first and the title race thread would be nothing but moans. As long as we are in and around first we are in it. 

Lets face it the PGMOL were never going to let us become title contenders and the officiating today proved it.

Getting 4th place last season was bad enough.

Get back in your box.

Edited by AshVilla

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Lets face it the PGMOL were never going to let us become title contenders and the officiating today proved it.

Us getting 4th place last season was bad enough.

Get back in your box.

Lol, is that PGMOLs fault that Carlos can't defend?

Just now, AshVilla said:

No but it's the PGMOLs fault that Ipswich still had 11 men on the pitch.

It was refs decision, not PGMOLs. every team has some decisions going against them. Take your claret and blue blinkers off. There is no conspiracy against us.

• Like 1

We've actually scored the same amount of goals as we did after six games last season, and have conceded fewer, and have more points, we're also higher in the table than were then. I don't think we're going to win the league, but we're on course for another good season if we keep our general form up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

We've actually scored the same amount of goals as we did after six games last season, and have conceded fewer, and have more points, we're also higher in the table than were then. I don't think we're going to win the league, but we're on course for another good season if we keep our general form up

I don't think a draw at Ipswich will be seen as quite a disaster as season goes on. Play like that today and they can certainly take points off Newcastle, Spurs and perhaps Chelsea aswell.

We need to make sure we don't mess up home games against likes of Ipswich otherwise the season will fizzle out.

I’ve seen enough to know our issue this year is going to be the defence but I knew that before the season started. At least it isn’t midfield as well!

I’ve seen enough that at the end of the season we will be in Europe next year, which competition of the three I don’t know!

I think we were lacklustre today for our usual standards but we still should have won, the ref should have put them to ten men directly before they scored their second but that’s football.

Throughout the course of a season crap like this happens, hopefully it balances out over the seasons but who knows.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Were you saying this after Forest away last season by any chance? The reality is if we keep winning at home and win away every third game we will be in the top 4/5 mix.

People seemed to think on here last year we needed to win pretty much every away game to just finish 4th. When you look at the end of the season the teams in 4th-6th will have 7-9 away wins to their name so we're doing fine on that front.

A point today isn't terrible if we beat Man. United as we should.

We need to aswell as November is easily our hardest month of the season and we'll inevitably drop points in December also so don't want to be playing catch up too much at the midway point.

No because Forest away was an anomaly where we missed multiple chances and most weeks until then were battering teams. We don’t look as good this season albeit it is early days. We were lucky to draw with Ipswich yesterday as if anyone was going to win they looked the more likely. 

It’s not just about winning games, we also need to show a level of performance. The first 6 games of the season we have had to struggle to beat the lesser teams. The defensive frailties are still there. Yes we need to beat a fragile Man Utd but we also need to put in a statement performance. We seem to be coasting through too many games at the moment relying on moments. Basically there is a lack of control in our games which is why Ipswich were able to create so many chances yesterday and we’ll get punished by better teams.

Very early days, I’m still optimistic but I don’t think we’re at all in a title race and I’d have Chelsea and maybe Spurs ahead of us for 4th at this current moment. I’m hoping we will improve in the coming weeks though.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â