Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

The Opta 'Super Computer' had us down to finish 6th or 7th at this stage last season. And 7th or 8th back in August. They obviously aren't including the Unai Factor in their calculations! 

It's probably just Garth Crooks

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, duke313 said:

You know what, I’d take it, even if 5th doesn’t get CL again.

It would require a considerable drop of form for us to finish on 62 points. And that's based on the last 2 years, not just this season. I would be happy with 5th, but I think, in this instance,

Computer Says No GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

Feel like we can finish 5th but be surprised if higher. I think the top 3 from last season will be the same because they’re exceptional teams and Chelsea look good and have such an expensive squad that not finishing top 4 would be a big failure for them. Their backup front 4 is Nkunku, Mudryk, Felix (clearing in the woods), and Neto. For comparison ours is Duran, Philogene, Buendia and Ramsey/McGinn. Ours is decent but they have £60m players there + two £100m central midfielders so whether we have a better manager or not (we do by some distance) I think it will be very difficult to finish above them despite them being somewhat of a basket case in recent years. Spurs, Man Utd and Newcastle (and Brighton if you wanna throw them in there) we can finish above for sure. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Thanks 1

Anything less than a CL place will be a disappointment. Whether that's 4th or 5th it doesn't matter. We need CL again next season to keep the revenues high and give Unai the money to start signing top class players.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

With 33 games left, we need 50 points then but that averages at 1.5 ppg which is a fair drop off from our ppg for the last two years under Emery.  With Emery stating he prioritises the league I can’t see our ppg dropping off that much.

What was our ppg in 2nd part of last season? Since 1st January it was 26 points in 18 games. 1.44 ppg. It's definitely possible we could drop to that with CL games coming thick and fast and with injuries mounting.

10 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

What was our ppg in 2nd part of last season? Since 1st January it was 26 points in 18 games. 1.44 ppg. It's definitely possible we could drop to that with CL games coming thick and fast and with injuries mounting.

I mentioned in the Wolves thread we actually only won three of our final 11 games in the prem last season. As said there were caveats to that, endless injuries, Europa conference and for differing reasons the Man. City and Palace games were basically thrown. 

When you look at the sheer amount of fixtures we have in November-December and the quality of opponents we're playing in quick succession I'd be very impressed if we have a better run than that so this is why it's important we get the wins on the board now rather than having to play catch up going into xmas period as one of Man. United/Spurs will probably have to do.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think the top 3 from last season will be the same because they’re exceptional teams and Chelsea look good and have such an expensive squad that not finishing top 4 would be a big failure for them.

Liverpool just failed to score at home to Forest. The Slot Honeymoon might be over. Rodri might be out for the season and City struggling to keep CS. Chelsea flattered by results against awful Wolves and West Ham defence. We've got 4 wins could've been 5 or 4 and a draw and I don't think we've come close to hitting top gear

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

The Opta 'Super Computer' had us down to finish 6th or 7th at this stage last season. And 7th or 8th back in August. They obviously aren't including the Unai Factor in their calculations! 

It's weighting for past performance is always too high, so it includes the Gerrard era (and probably further back). So eg Man U always look better than they are and we always look worse. But that will slowly change if we continue to be consistent under Unai. 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Liverpool just failed to score at home to Forest. The Slot Honeymoon might be over. Rodri might be out for the season and City struggling to keep CS. Chelsea flattered by results against awful Wolves and West Ham defence. We've got 4 wins could've been 5 or 4 and a draw and I don't think we've come close to hitting top gear

Chelsea smashed West Ham and Wolves with a combined GD of +7 (both away too). We narrowly beat them by a +3 score line and only scraped past mediocre teams like Everton and Leicester. 

Not saying we won’t finish above Chelsea, we could as we have a better manager, but they’ve looked more impressive than us so far IMO (other than that Palace draw). 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Man. City will still comfortably get past 80 points, Liverpool probably aswell.

We need to remember as brilliant as last season was it was a struggle just to get to 68 points in the end and considering where we were at xmas we finished over 20 points behind the top 2, that's the reality and you add CL games into the mix this season.

Too early to say Chelsea are amazing as they couldn't beat Palace at home and they were very lucky indeed to beat Bournemouth so I think they'll have an indifferent run in the next two months.

35 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Chelsea smashed West Ham and Wolves with a combined GD of +7 (both away too). We narrowly beat them by a +3 score line and only scraped past mediocre teams like Everton and Leicester. 

Not saying we won’t finish above Chelsea, we could as we have a better manager, but they’ve looked more impressive than us so far IMO (other than that Palace draw). 

Chelsea have started well but apart from Man City they have played teams that are currently 13th or below. It's still too early to be judging teams, us included. 

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Feel like we can finish 5th but be surprised if higher. I think the top 3 from last season will be the same because they’re exceptional teams and Chelsea look good and have such an expensive squad that not finishing top 4 would be a big failure for them. Their backup front 4 is Nkunku, Mudryk, Felix (clearing in the woods), and Neto. For comparison ours is Duran, Philogene, Buendia and Ramsey/McGinn. Ours is decent but they have £60m players there + two £100m central midfielders so whether we have a better manager or not (we do by some distance) I think it will be very difficult to finish above them despite them being somewhat of a basket case in recent years. Spurs, Man Utd and Newcastle (and Brighton if you wanna throw them in there) we can finish above for sure. 

Whilst I agree with your overall opinion that Chelsea will probably finish above us.

If it’s based on how much they paid for their players then I would say you came to your conclusion incorrectly.

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If we qualify for the Europa League, that is probably the best bet we have for winning a trophy in the Emery era. In my opinion.

Neither the Premier League or the Champions League are outside the realms of possibility, even this season. Dare to dream man! What’s the point if you can’t even dream?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Neither the Premier League or the Champions League are outside the realms of possibility, even this season. Dare to dream man! What’s the point if you can’t even dream?

I have said many times on here we can win the league and I don’t understand why people deny it.

By the same token, qualifying for the Europa League for me wouldn’t be a disaster as I think we would have a right chance of winning it.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â