Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

If City get relegated from the decades of cheating. We have an outside chance of winning the title of Arsenal stick with zero attack, Tony Pulis' football of all defence they'll draw a lot of games. You never know 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If City get relegated from the decades of cheating. We have an outside chance of winning the title of Arsenal stick with zero attack, Tony Pulis' football of all defence they'll draw a lot of games. You never know 

Depends how long it takes to get a decision back from the committee, it took 3 months for a decision from a simpler two week hearing to get the judgment the other day so this 10-12 week hearing will be potentially longer until we get an answer and given the impact of any negative decision against City the independent commission will want to make it air tight.  

Then any stay of punishment until an appeal can be heard.  The only way I see this being finished is if City clear their name or they accept some small punishment of fines.  

Anything major including points, they are going to fight and that will be well past this season.  So we’ll just have to win the league the conventional way 😁

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

I’ve had to read ‘Man Utd won’t be as bad as last year’ on this forum about 200 times, yet I watched them tonight and they are in fact worse than last season 

Apologies to all the secret Man Utd fans on here 

There's barely any goals in their team for top end of the league. Not worried about them at all compared to Chelsea and Newcastle.

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

Every team we have played so far is essentially scraping past a relegation candidate except for Arsenal. I’m not going to get too excited just yet…

And we should have beaten Arsenal...

10 hours ago, MSvillain said:

I’ve had to read ‘Man Utd won’t be as bad as last year’ on this forum about 200 times, yet I watched them tonight and they are in fact worse than last season 

Apologies to all the secret Man Utd fans on here 

I'm really not sure how anyone could come to the conclusion that Man Utd won't be as bad as last year unless they are Gary Neville, i.e. an imbecile.

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

Every team we have played so far is essentially scraping past a relegation candidate except for Arsenal. I’m not going to get too excited just yet…

When you think about it we finished 4th last season yet had the best results out of the top 4 mini league. 

Where we need to make up points is against the lesser teams. We need to consistently beat crappy teams (like Man Utd lol) and that's where we can make up points.

The league is not won by beating Arsenal or Man City. It's won by not slipping up against Wolves or Crystal Palace. 

If you want to win the league, you play 38 games. Only 4 of them are against your league title competition. If we don't lose 2 out of the 4, we are flying. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

I'm really not sure how anyone could come to the conclusion that Man Utd won't be as bad as last year unless they are Gary Neville, i.e. an imbecile.

They have been getting worse and worse each season for the last 10 years. And there are no signs of that stopping. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

There's barely any goals in their team for top end of the league. Not worried about them at all compared to Chelsea and Newcastle.

I'm not worried about Newcastle, despite their position in the table they have been poor most games, they appear to have a lot of issues off the field.  Chelsea look to be a threat though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

I'm not worried about Newcastle, despite their position in the table they have been poor most games, they appear to have a lot of issues off the field.  Chelsea look to be a threat though.

Yeah, we've been bad, really bad. Buuuut, we've been bad and won games, so when Howe does get us playing better we will return to winning ways, and winning more convincingly too. Also, if the rumblings about Man City's case against the Premier League re associated parties are true, we may have more room to spend big sums in the January window. 

Just curious about the issues off the field you're talking about?

9 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Yeah, we've been bad, really bad. Buuuut, we've been bad and won games, so when Howe does get us playing better we will return to winning ways, and winning more convincingly too. Also, if the rumblings about Man City's case against the Premier League re associated parties are true, we may have more room to spend big sums in the January window. 

Just the whole thing in the summer with Staveley leaving and Ashworth going to United, the FFP issues and not being able to spend.  Maybe they aren't issues, but it seems like they affected the team, Howe seemed to be losing support among some sections of the fanbase, but if he can string a run of results i'm sure that will change.

23 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Just the whole thing in the summer with Staveley leaving and Ashworth going to United, the FFP issues and not being able to spend.  Maybe they aren't issues, but it seems like they affected the team, Howe seemed to be losing support among some sections of the fanbase, but if he can string a run of results i'm sure that will change.

Ah, fair enough. All of those things are small enough, but yeah when you put them together it doesn't scream smooth sailing. Staveley had to go, the whole idea was that we brought in top tier people for each department head and she's a deal broker, not a DoF or anything. There's also the thing where whatever the Saudis spent, she had to put in a proportionate amount as well. So if they spent £100m, she had to pony to the tune of £10m, which I don't think she could afford.

The Ashworth situation is mental, supposed to be at Newcastle for the long haul, centre of the wheel and all that. Then up sticks as soon as possible to jump into bed with an entirely chaotic Man Utd. Not going to lose any sleep over it though. 

PSR/FFP is a nonsense isn't it? I don't think Man City should get away with being bad lads, but hopefully this summer has shown the PL that the current iteration of the rules is not fit for purpose.

6 hours ago, Mic09 said:

When you think about it we finished 4th last season yet had the best results out of the top 4 mini league. 

Where we need to make up points is against the lesser teams. We need to consistently beat crappy teams (like Man Utd lol) and that's where we can make up points.

The league is not won by beating Arsenal or Man City. It's won by not slipping up against Wolves or Crystal Palace. 

If you want to win the league, you play 38 games. Only 4 of them are against your league title competition. If we don't lose 2 out of the 4, we are flying. 

Didn’t I read somewhere that at home last season, of the bottom 12 teams at the end of last season that we were 10 wins and 2 draws against them.

I agree with you, there are 60 points available against the bottom 10 teams. You’ve got to be looking at trying to get a high percentage of those as your base total.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheFish said:

You'll still be strong at St James and get double figures in wins (can see you getting something off Man. City). Just vulnerable away like last season but you don't need to win that many away games to be in serious contention for top 4, we won 8 last season. Not sure how many you guys won in 22/23.

15 hours ago, duke313 said:

You know what, I’d take it, even if 5th doesn’t get CL again.

With 33 games left, we need 50 points then but that averages at 1.5 ppg which is a fair drop off from our ppg for the last two years under Emery.  With Emery stating he prioritises the league I can’t see our ppg dropping off that much.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â