Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

My comments were regarding the fact the teams we've beat are not form teams or teams that will be anywhere near the top 8(bar maybe WH) come the end of the season. Not that the teams we've beat won't get better or pick up.

Why does it matter if nobody can possibly return more points from the exact same fixtures? 

Ok goal difference could have been better (it always can)

Performances could have been better.(they always can)

Where the opposition are in the league is only important if we have dropped points right?

I just think its such a negative outlook to complain about how we achieved maximum......ill say again maximum,, points from those fixtures.

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Why does it matter if nobody can possibly return more points from the exact same fixtures? 

Ok goal difference could have been better (it always can)

Performances could have been better.(they always can)

Where the opposition are in the league is only important if we have dropped points right?

I just think its such a negative outlook to complain about how we achieved maximum......ill say again maximum,, points from those fixtures.

Who complained? I don't remember complaining, just stating that it's too early to be getting carried away due to who and the form of the teams played. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Who complained? I don't remember complaining, just stating that it's too early to be getting carried away due to who and the form of the teams played. 

Fair enough.

What's the point in being a football fan if you cant get a little carried away when you team is good (or is that your point......we aren't good?)

We all know where the title is going to end up so all we have is the here and now right? ;)

• Like 1

Just as an idea of what we're up against, especially in light of the Wycombe game...

"Chelsea made 11 changes in the 5-0 win at home to Barrow, but still had a £238million attack featuring Christopher Nkunku, Joao Felix, Mykhailo Mudryk and Pedro Neto."

Chelsea are an extreme case, but it's extremely impressive what we achieved in getting CL last time out and getting top 4 again will be unbelievable. Challenging as we are after 5 games is insane and surely won't last unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

We haven't played Forest... who incidentally look a much better team under Nuno than they were under Cooper. They've got some very good players, so what is your point? 

My point is obvious; on the face of it, liverpool would look at that game and bank 3 points, however they need to do the business, they didnt.

We have picked up all of the points we should have, its no easy feat

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichW said:

Don't think I've watched Nottingham Forest live yet as I missed the game against Brighton but from the highlights I have seen I think they will be a tough game for most teams this season if they can keep their attackers fit. Potential to have a solid season compared to the previous two they had. 

There will be very few easy games this year, you need to beat who is infront of you and for the most part (aside from a team who will be challenging for the title), we have

43 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Just as an idea of what we're up against, especially in light of the Wycombe game...

"Chelsea made 11 changes in the 5-0 win at home to Barrow, but still had a £238million attack featuring Christopher Nkunku, Joao Felix, Mykhailo Mudryk and Pedro Neto."

Chelsea are an extreme case, but it's extremely impressive what we achieved in getting CL last time out and getting top 4 again will be unbelievable. Challenging as we are after 5 games is insane and surely won't last unfortunately.

I mean the only way we don't get top 4 is because of us. We just need to carry on doing what we've done under Emery for the last two years.

It makes no difference to us if Chelsea have a trillion pound striker that they don't play. 

Our strikers cost about £20 mil each and I'd still rather have what we have. 

46 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I mean the only way we don't get top 4 is because of us. We just need to carry on doing what we've done under Emery for the last two years.

It makes no difference to us if Chelsea have a trillion pound striker that they don't play. 

Our strikers cost about £20 mil each and I'd still rather have what we have. 

I agree that we just need to think about us, I was just framing how great an achievement it actually was and is continuing to be. 

To play devil's advocate though, if the teams with 4,5 or more times our resources raise the bar so that top 4 means average a little above 2 points a game. That would mean even continuing his amazing work Emery couldn't get us there, let alone challenge for the title.

The fact that he already did get us there, that we are currently there and keeping pace with the top spots for me is amazing. We really shouldn't forget that or get used to it. I remember the honest bunch of lads, spiritual nourishment, Bruce making our first team play how the kids did against Wycombe every week in the Championship etc. etc. If we can keep this momentum up and give Emery everything he needs to keep improving us then who knows. Crazy.

• Like 1

Yes we still do have some issues, our midfield is worse than beginning of last season but that’s mainly Kamara’s absence. Onana is a great addition but he isn’t for all games. We must use Tielemans carefully and rotate with Barkley. If we managed to be up there until Kamara comes back and ready, I think we’ll see much improvement and balanced performances. McGinn was somehow an issue during the last couple of games, but his absence now is an issue as he’s critical against Bayern and Utd. 

Last season we’ve won against everyone at Home, just to lose against Sheffield Utd when we had the chance to go top of the table for the first time in many years (I don’t remember us being top of Championship any week as well). First time I’ve seen us top was last week in the CL for around two hours.

I think last season gave us a lot of indications, one of them is how we looked like without Kamara, even when we won we couldn’t control games as we used but at the same time, certain lower games we used to control it by constant attacking which didn’t give teams a chance to deal with our weakness. 
Despite falling apart, we didn’t surrender and managed to fight for tough points (Bournemouth, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool). We showed fight Spurs haven’t shown, probably more matured than them as we defend when it matters while they only approach one way. This season it’s not only Spurs, many teams coming to the equation but I think us achieving it last season will make it easier for us to believe. 

Leicester despite winning the league, they fought for CL 4 years after that, they fell short towards the end, I think part of it was them being tired but also the doubt of failing. I think the European qualification during Emery first season (and it being instead of Spurs) helped our mentality. 

We’ve seen times last season where we were mentally weaker, but it doesn’t take long to come back, and mostly it come when certain players missing. 

I think Unai will start making some tough decisions, but he needs to. Him benching Onana doesn’t mean Onana is bad but that it’s not his type of game. Same goes with all other players. 

7 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

You can only beat what's in front of you but the fact remains our 4 wins have come against teams struggling so far and not in good form. Wolves are currently -9 GD, as are Everton, which after 5 games does not bode well, hence why they both sit at the bottom of the table. Leicester...okay they've 3 draws and one against Spuds in the season opener, but the last one was against Everton at home. WH would be the only team out of the 4 that have a chance of being in the top 10 come the end of the season.

My guess is Wolves, Everton and Leicester will find it tough this season.

We've had a good start and will probably pick up a win against Ipswich the weekend too but we've yet to play anyone playing really well other than Arsenal. It's not hating, just stating the obvious. 

The -9 was because of Chelsea. Many teams will lose to Chelsea this way, gladly they’re not that matured but they have proper talent. Anyway thry’ve lost to 4 tough teams and drew with a good Forest (as I remember). Even if they lost next it’s no shame, worst set of games.

Our midfield is already better than last year. We’ve not missed Luiz for a single second this season so far and the additional depth has paid huge dividends. 
Kamara to come back next month to provide additional defensive solidity will easily make this seasons midfield (including bench) significantly superior to last years and probably one of the best set of midfielders in the league. Onana, Kamara, Tielemans, Barkley for two positions is just obscene depth. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Yes we still do have some issues, our midfield is worse than beginning of last season but that’s mainly Kamara’s absence. Onana is a great addition but he isn’t for all games. We must use Tielemans carefully and rotate with Barkley. If we managed to be up there until Kamara comes back and ready, I think we’ll see much improvement and balanced performances. McGinn was somehow an issue during the last couple of games, but his absence now is an issue as he’s critical against Bayern and Utd. 

Last season we’ve won against everyone at Home, just to lose against Sheffield Utd when we had the chance to go top of the table for the first time in many years (I don’t remember us being top of Championship any week as well). First time I’ve seen us top was last week in the CL for around two hours.

Despite falling apart, we didn’t surrender and managed to fight for tough points (Bournemouth, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool).

You've contradicted yourself a little here.

We lost against Newcastle, Man Utd and Spurs. Drew with Sheff Utd, Brentford, Chelsea and Liverpool. Admittedly still a great season at home only losing 3 and drawing 4 in the league though. We'll have to go some way to even get close to that set of results this term.

The -9 was because of Chelsea. Many teams will lose to Chelsea this way, gladly they’re not that matured but they have proper talent. Anyway thry’ve lost to 4 tough teams and drew with a good Forest (as I remember). Even if they lost next it’s no shame, worst set of games.

I'm not completely sure many teams are going to get beat 2-6 at home against Chelsea as good as they have been, but yes Wolves have had a difficult start. However, they're currently not in good form whichever way you look at it and need to pick up points soon if only to break out of a potential rut. Liverpool, Brentford and City next so they could be confidence shot soon if they don't pick up.

7 hours ago, MSvillain said:

My point is obvious; on the face of it, liverpool would look at that game and bank 3 points, however they need to do the business, they didnt.

We have picked up all of the points we should have, its no easy feat

Maybe people don't see Spurs as a direct rival anymore but they didn't actually beat Leicester while we did. West Ham poor currently but will surely pick up at home as the season goes on so think the win there will look better in a few months.

Everton and Wolves are regulation wins at home, that's something I won't argue against so good we did it but again you never know if both are battling relegation in six months time I'm sure they will spring a shock result on a rival so sometimes it depends on what part of the season you play teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Pedant but we drew with Sheffield with a last minute equaliser. It bloody felt like a loss though

33 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I envisage competition being stronger this season, so the amount of points that was good enough for 4th last season, this season might be good enough for only 6th or 5th. Which still would be good outcome for us.

And yet it could be the opposite. We might finish 3rd with the same points as last season. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â