Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

We are in it until we aren't.

We were in it last season until Heck cancelled the North Stand and then we lost to Sheffield United at home (at least that's how I remember it went down).

I'm in a race with Usain Bolt after a metre to be fair

• Haha 1

So far Villa has had a good start, but we’ve faced mostly bottom half clubs so far. The only real challenge we’ve had was Arsenal. We played well against them and unfortunate to miss our chances, but they were better than us on the day.

to get a real gage on how we’re looking this season we need to face a Spurs/Newcastle/Man U/Chelsea and maybe Brighton. 

us and them are in the fight for 4th

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

So far Villa has had a good start, but we’ve faced mostly bottom half clubs so far. The only real challenge we’ve had was Arsenal. We played well against them and unfortunate to miss our chances, but they were better than us on the day.

to get a real gage on how we’re looking this season we need to face a Spurs/Newcastle/Man U/Chelsea and maybe Brighton. 

us and them are in the fight for 4th

Agree with this apart from Brighton. Think it's safe to say they'll fall short. Squad is not strong enough in my opinion. Respect to them for always being in the conversation though. 

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm in a race with Usain Bolt after a metre to be fair

He's old now, but I somehow I doubt you would be. Blistered, sockless feet don't make for good running.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Agreed... We've currently beaten WH, Leicester, Everton and Wolves, all of them struggling and still managed to look piss poor at times during those games, with probably the exception of WH away. The only team we've played worth their salt was Arsenal and lost that. It's far too early to even consider us as the 4th best side imo.

Overly negative interpretation IMO. We are 20% of the teams those teams have faced, so to the extent they are 'all of them struggling' it's in no very small part because we beat them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Few pints last night was it?

It was tongue in cheek, and I didn’t even post it in this thread tbf. Moving replies around often has the effect of making them sound completely different out of context. I’m fully aware we will have done well to get top 4 again.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Overly negative interpretation IMO. We are 20% of the teams those teams have faced, so to the extent they are 'all of them struggling' it's in no very small part because we beat them. 

Everton are very poor, Wolves aren't any better, Leicester newly promoted and West Ham just haven't got going. It's not overly negative at all, just stating facts which their positioning in the table and form back up.

We've had a good start, but I believe all the teams we've beaten we should be based on our standing and theirs. It's not reaching by suggesting they've struggled so far this season.

16 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Agreed... We've currently beaten WH, Leicester, Everton and Wolves, all of them struggling and still managed to look piss poor at times during those games, with probably the exception of WH away. The only team we've played worth their salt was Arsenal and lost that. It's far too early to even consider us as the 4th best side imo.

You only have to beat whats in front of yiu, the way we’ve come back is actually the best part to suggest our mentality. Wolves lost to: Us, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle. All of top 8 teams. 3 of them were tough matches. So can’t say they’ll continue where they are. Hopefully they can beat Liverpool next. 
It’s the same Leicester that drew with Spurs as well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Everton are very poor, Wolves aren't any better, Leicester newly promoted and West Ham just haven't got going. It's not overly negative at all, just stating facts which their positioning in the table and form back up.

We've had a good start, but I believe all the teams we've beaten we should be based on our standing and theirs. It's not reaching by suggesting they've struggled so far this season.

Liverpool played forest at Anfield, what was the result in that one? 

Every single game this year is gonna be tough 

36 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Every single game this year is gonna be tough 

Don't think I've watched Nottingham Forest live yet as I missed the game against Brighton but from the highlights I have seen I think they will be a tough game for most teams this season if they can keep their attackers fit. Potential to have a solid season compared to the previous two they had. 

8 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Everton were poor agreed and will probably be beaten by most teams away from home this season.

Wolves are a much better team and will show it during the season.

Leicester are newly promoted but will get more results at the King Power as the season goes on

The same goes for West Ham i wouldn't mind betting they beat teams like Newcastle and Spurs at the London Stadium.

In my opinion 12 points is a return against these 4 teams that only the very best teams in the country will return this season

• Like 2

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

You only have to beat whats in front of yiu, the way we’ve come back is actually the best part to suggest our mentality. Wolves lost to: Us, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle. All of top 8 teams. 3 of them were tough matches. So can’t say they’ll continue where they are. Hopefully they can beat Liverpool next. 
It’s the same Leicester that drew with Spurs as well. 

You can only beat what's in front of you but the fact remains our 4 wins have come against teams struggling so far and not in good form. Wolves are currently -9 GD, as are Everton, which after 5 games does not bode well, hence why they both sit at the bottom of the table. Leicester...okay they've 3 draws and one against Spuds in the season opener, but the last one was against Everton at home. WH would be the only team out of the 4 that have a chance of being in the top 10 come the end of the season.

My guess is Wolves, Everton and Leicester will find it tough this season.

We've had a good start and will probably pick up a win against Ipswich the weekend too but we've yet to play anyone playing really well other than Arsenal. It's not hating, just stating the obvious. 

2 hours ago, MSvillain said:

We haven't played Forest... who incidentally look a much better team under Nuno than they were under Cooper. They've got some very good players, so what is your point? 

55 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Everton were poor agreed and will probably be beaten by most teams away from home this season.

Wolves are a much better team and will show it during the season.

Leicester are newly promoted but will get more results at the King Power as the season goes on

The same goes for West Ham i wouldn't mind betting they beat teams like Newcastle and Spurs at the London Stadium.

In my opinion 12 points is a return against these 4 teams that only the very best teams in the country will return this season

My comments were regarding the fact the teams we've beat are not form teams or teams that will be anywhere near the top 8(bar maybe WH) come the end of the season. Not that the teams we've beat won't get better or pick up.

Their results against us, are in part, reason why Everton, Wolves, etc are down there, of course.

We so far haven’t really clicked into gear, at least for large parts of games, and still come away with 12 points. I feel like last season we mostly played well and came away with the points. This season we’re turning it on for about a third of a game and still winning.

This makes me think that when we do click into gear for larger parts of the games - and I don’t see why we wouldn’t click, it’s Emery after all - we should be able to hold our own against the sides whom it’s expected to finish higher in the league.

Basically, we’re working out any early season issues and still coming away with the points. It’s normally a sign of a good team.

• Like 3

The most important thing is we're getting points on the board early again like last year (regardless of who we're playing).

Hopefully we beat Ipswich at the weekend and if Man. United/Spurs draw then already we're 7 points clear of both. Potential then to be 10 points clear of Man. United if we beat them.

Let's not forget that more often than not 5th will be a CL place in the prem, last year was a poor effort all round by English clubs but I struggle to believe that will happen again, Chelsea should walk the Conference league for instance.

Worst thing would've been a poor start and then having to catch up on teams during the winter when injuries and games start to pile up. We've had a strong start and hopefully in two months Kamara and Mings will be in serious contention to play and those are two proven star players for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

We haven't played Forest... who incidentally look a much better team under Nuno than they were under Cooper. They've got some very good players, so what is your point? 

Forest are a dangerous team for sure if they keep their first 11 fit.

Ironically that was the one poor result we had when you look at league position last season between August-December so anything we get at the City Ground is immediately better than last season.

Likes of Spurs, Newcastle and Man. United will also struggle v them I think.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Forest are a dangerous team for sure if they keep their first 11 fit.

Ironically that was the one poor result we had when you look at league position last season between August-December so anything we get at the City Ground is immediately better than last season.

Likes of Spurs, Newcastle and Man. United will also struggle v them I think.

Yeah, I think Forest are a different side now and far more of an organised side under Nuno. Very similar to when he had Wolves 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â