Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

49 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Despite being the 4th best team since Emery joined, and despite finishing 4th last year and sitting 3rd currently, Villa are 7th favourite to win the league according to SkyBet. 80/1 odds. 

For some reason, Manchester Red Sox are only 66/1 and Spuds 50/1! 

We are constantly overlooked as serious contenders while the world obsesses with Big Six mentality.
Keep sleeping on Emery guys, it suits us just fine. 

The reason for this is the only people that are going to bet on any team bar city or Arsenal to win the league are fans of those clubs.  Man U and spurs have a lot of deluded fans that will put money on them. If Villa had more fans backing them they would drop the odds too. 

Nobody is being overlooked in the betting market.  It's all about where the money is being placed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Correct, firmly believe the Rodri injury makes us favourites. City and Arsenal currently obsessed with each other and will allow us to sneak past them

We'll do well to finish fourth. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

But you constantly ranted about elite mentality yet terrified at the thought of Harry Maguire and Diego Dalot

Man Utd is the exception for me 

Our record is abysmal against them. Pre and post Emery

12 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

We are not in a title race.

4th would be a huge achievement.

Exactly. Same as last year when people were trying to delude themselves into thinking we were in it.

We *should* get 4th but it's a long season and Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and maybe Man Utd. all to beat to get there.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Exactly. Same as last year when people were trying to delude themselves into thinking we were in it.

We *should* get 4th but it's a long season and Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and maybe Man Utd. all to beat to get there.  

Don't get how you can say Villa "should" get 4th. We are still only 5 games into the season, its very early days for every team. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Agreed... We've currently beaten WH, Leicester, Everton and Wolves, all of them struggling and still managed to look piss poor at times during those games, with probably the exception of WH away. The only team we've played worth their salt was Arsenal and lost that. It's far too early to even consider us as the 4th best side imo.

Edited by avfc1982am

1 minute ago, RichW said:

Don't get how you can say Villa "should" get 4th. We are still only 5 games into the season, its very early days for every team. 

I think we're favourites for it. We are more stable than Chelsea, have a better manager than Spurs and United and I don't think Newcastle will be good enough over the long term to finish above us. Chelsea might be the main threat. But none of the teams I've listed are title contenders, even Liverpool aren't really title contenders. 

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think we're favourites for it. We are more stable than Chelsea, have a better manager than Spurs and United and I don't think Newcastle will be good enough over the long term to finish above us. Chelsea might be the main threat. But none of the teams I've listed are title contenders, even Liverpool aren't really title contenders. 

Don't think at this point there is a favourite for 4th. We are not even in the winter months yet. Maybe after 10ish games start to get a picture of how the table is going to look but then Spurs last season showed being top after 10 games means nothing. Around Christmas time is when will probably get a rough idea of who the favourites are for 4th tbh. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichW said:

Don't think at this point there is a favourite for 4th. We are not even in the winter months yet. Maybe after 10ish games start to get a picture of how the table is going to look but then Spurs last season showed being top after 10 games means nothing. Around Christmas time is when will probably get a rough idea of who the favourites are for 4th tbh. 

Agree with this but I also fancy us for top 4 tbh. Defence is the limiting factor for going higher but think we can build on last year and consolidate 4th.

To break through any higher you’re talking two or three world class players in defence and attack 

As somebody already mentioned we had an extra point with equivalent games last season and you could argue we won them a lot more convincingly. At the moment it's all been a bit last minute and making hard work of things.

Main thing is we have the points on the board but we need to see how we fair against stronger teams before getting too carried away. 

Another 4th place would be an unbelievable achievement.

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As somebody already mentioned we had an extra point with equivalent games last season and you could argue we won them a lot more convincingly. At the moment it's all been a bit last minute and making hard work of things.

Main thing is we have the points on the board but we need to see how we fair against stronger teams before getting too carried away. 

Another 4th place would be an unbelievable achievement.

I was as interested to see the corresponding fixtures last season for the other teams in the hunt for 4th (minus promoted teams).  So far:

United - Last Season 4 pts - This season 4 pts
Chelsea - Last Season 5 pts - This season 10 pts
Spurs - Last Season 6 pts - This Season 6 pts
Newcastle - Last Season 8 pts - This Season 7 pts

From that, only Chelsea have improved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

We are not in a title race.

4th would be a huge achievement.

We are in it until we aren't.

We were in it last season until Heck cancelled the North Stand and then we lost to Sheffield United at home (at least that's how I remember it went down).

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â